Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Diaphragm, anachronism? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1272563)

MichelleSG 09-03-2011 04:52 PM

Diaphragm, anachronism?

So for reasons I won't bore everyone with I have limitations as to what I can use for bc. The hubby plans on getting a vasectomy but in the meantime we need to use something since we don't (ie can't afford) want anymore and my doctor said my uterus is not up being in use again (adhesions, age, fibroids, not a good breeder). So as an in between bc I wanted to get a diaphragm. No biggie right? I used one in college before and it's mildly annoying but not so much as to be prohibitive. Oddly it seems the diaphragm has gone the way of the dinosaur. I managed to get fit for one but you can't get then through the doctor, just a prescription for one. Also, my doctor doesn't recommend it as a form of birth control. ? Seriously? Is it that bad? I managed one for 2 years and never had a hint of getting pregnant. Also it took me 18 months and a round of Clomid to get pregnant with my second child so I'm not exactly fertile Myrtle so I'm not so terribly worried.
Has anyone gotten a diaphragm recently? I had a hard time finding a pharmacy to fill the prescription and it's some sort of odd special order item and doesn't even come up on a standard system. They couldn't even tell me if my insurance covered it because again, not standard so not in the computer system. The (young) woman behind the pharmacy counter didn't even know what a diaphragm was. Wow, I'm just a walking talking anachronism huh? Am I that old? Tell me someone else knows what a diaphragm is, I'm not even 40 yet and I feel like I should be a new grandmother rather than a new mom.

NATTYBATSMOM 09-08-2011 12:53 PM

Re: Diaphragm, anachronism?

My OB wouldn't even give me one. I had to go to the family planning clinic here in town (I do suggest that if you have one). Only issue there is they didn't have the spermicide so I never got it and I never was able to use it. So when I went in this time, I asked about something else and got the mini pill which I'm going to wait until after I get my period to start using and then I'm also going to look into getting a tubal or the mirena. I'm just tired of worrying about getting pregnant period and I'm done so why not make it permanent.

MichelleSG 09-08-2011 01:48 PM

I have yet to even hunt down the spermicidal jelly, hopefuly the pharmacy I ordered it from will have some.
I can't use pills, I've tried the whole spectrum and they all make me homicidal.
The Mirena is awesome, I've had 2 and I'd do them again in a heart beat. Unfortunately I have so many fibroids now my ob will only put one in me if she brings in an anesthesiologist. If it's going to be that bad I won't get one.

swedishmaiden 09-08-2011 09:38 PM

I haven't used a diaphragm, but I know a few friends who have. I think they quit making them for awhile and have now started producing non-latex ones, but they're hard to find. I'm not sure why they aren't that popular, but I'm guessing because of the ease of HBC, most people prefer a simple pill or ring, etc?

MichelleSG 09-08-2011 10:07 PM

I suspect it's more patient compliance. They are bad in terms of ease of use, you have to stop the 'mood' to go put it in or preplan then leave it in for 8 hours after. If you want to have sex more than once in the 8 hours you have to put more soermacide in. No biggie in a long term marriage, not so fun for your average single woman. Plus there's no protection against STDs. Doctors would much rather pump a woman up on pills and most women like the ease. I am just using it in the interim between post baby and hubby getting a vasectomy. It seems silly to put in another Mirena and need to be anesthetized for it when it's not a full 5 yr thing. Seriously, my body has so many issues I don't want to add to it.
Now if I could just find a place that sells spermicidal jelly. Maybe Amazon?

swedishmaiden 09-09-2011 10:25 AM

Yes, I am sure you are right about that. When my DH did his OB rotation (he is a nurse practitioner), the OBs definitely pushed HBC more for that reason. Patients don't comply well and aren't careful, a lot of the time. I think this is another reason the Mirena is getting so popular - it's easier than a pill, even.