Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   totally unexpected (help with BLW!) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1272610)

A.Fred 09-03-2011 08:03 PM

totally unexpected (help with BLW!)

ok..DS has been showing signs of interest in food since about 4 months..but I was adamant that he wait until 6 months because I wanted to do BLW. Anyways..we tried our first meal today..I breastfed him and then an hour (maybe a lil more) later..I gave him broccoli and cauliflower. He was able to handle them well..etc etc.

ANYways..he started gagging on it (totally expected)..then he spit up some milk (somewhat expected)..then he kinda kept gagging until A LOT of milk came up (don't know if he was just spitting up a lot..or throwing up..?) Anyways..it happened several times...my question is this: is that normal?? Should I be concerned? Try something else? What?? :headscratch: Help me please!!

momof3boys1girl 09-03-2011 10:03 PM

Re: totally unexpected (help with BLW!)

I know for some broccoli can give them upset bellies. Maybe try something like banana, sweet potato, avocado or squash.

A.Fred 09-03-2011 10:35 PM

Ohhh I didn't know that about broccoli

mrosehughes 09-03-2011 11:45 PM

I'd probably assume that it was just a gag reflex gone wrong, wait a week or two, and then offer something a little easier on the tummy (like banana or avocado). Gagging happens sometimes; since it was just once (even if it was a lot of spitup milk) I wouldn't be too concerned.

Also, DS couldn't do broccoli that young, but that is because it made him gassy, not because it made him gag (it's his favorite now).

jewelzbird 09-04-2011 10:04 PM

This is what happened to me and I realized baby BLW was not for the faint of heart (me). Then I went to purees for a while and tried again. He did much better then. I love the concept of BLW, but if it makes me all worried then it wasn't worth it. My son was a little older, big, and really wanted to eat. It didn't take long before he was totally self feeding and leading the way. Good luck!
Try avocado and banana maybe

UnschoolingFamily 09-04-2011 11:06 PM

I think it could have been that his little tummy wasn't quite ready or that the broccoli and cauliflower were just too hard to digest. Were they raw? Or cooked? Does your baby have any teeth?

I have always waited until my children were over a year to introduce cruciferous vegetables (like broccoli, cauliflower and cabbage). Also, I introduce only one new food at a time, waiting 2 or 3 days before the next new food, to help baby's little system tolerate the new food.

My baby is 10 months old, with 7 teeth, but the little sweetie barely wants anything to do with food. She loves baked sweet potato, though she dislikes banana, sweet peas, green beans, avocado, carrot, apple sauce, peach puree, plum, watermelon and cantaloupe. She occasionally put a barley biscuit, rice mummum or a cheerio in her mouth but has choked and gagged on cheerios. So yeah, perhaps you can try sweet potato next. :)

A.Fred 09-04-2011 11:54 PM

thank you for all the advice! I tried banana today..and he seemed to enjoy that. Maybe I'll stick with that for a few days! :D

Connor 09-05-2011 02:27 AM

I would wait until he has all the signs of readiness if it were me. Teeth, pincher grasp, being able to sit from a laying position. I waited for all those signs and DS never gagged.

GinaKina 09-05-2011 05:36 PM

My DS gags sometimes, but he has only done this once, and I felt terrible about it. We had family visiting, so he was sitting next to me, and I didn't see how far he was putting his carrot in his mouth. I felt terrible :(. Other than that though, its the only time he has gagged to the point of vomiting.

They definitely get better at it though, my DS is 7 months now, and rarely gags (and loves broccoli!).

sunnymommy 09-10-2011 09:42 PM

My 3 year old still does exactly what you described (gags on the food in her mouth but then up comes stuff back up from her stomach as well) and it happens when she puts too much in her mouth in one bite ~ usually stuffing it all in so that she can be "Done" and get dessert / get down and go play / whatever she wants to hurry along to...