Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   I give up... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1274391)

LittleTadpoleDesigns 09-07-2011 09:22 AM

I give up...

So, it's been two months now of being naked bottomed here at home. Right from the start my son (now 28+months old) was a pro on going on his potty and still is I'd say at least 90% of the time. Often days go by with no accidents. But if he's not naked bummed, he will go in his pants/underwear and he just doesn't care. He will NOT tell us that he has to potty... he just runs to the potty and goes (when naked of course). He will sometimes tell us afterward.

Today I saw that he had peed his pants and I told him that we don't pee in our pants we try to use the potty. And then (don't judge me) I just left him. I thought maybe if he was uncomfortable for a little while (it's cool in the house today so I figured that might bother him with wet pant legs), he might asked to be changed. Nope... he peed again. When I did put him on the potty after that, he didn't want me to take off his wet pants!!

I give up. It's getting too cold already now for him to be naked bottomed all the time and it just seems so pointless to keep trying when he is making no progress what-so-ever. We are in exactly the same boat as we were two months ago. My husband doesn't like him being naked anyway and as much as it's been nice not having to wrestle him upstairs to change his poopy diapers (he hates stopping what he is doing to get changed of course) I'm also just tired of being so discouraged. We've tried so hard to make it a positive experience for him but now I can feel myself getting angry whenever he wets himself so I think I just need to stop before he starts picking up on that.

huntmommy 09-09-2011 11:30 AM

Re: I give up...

That sounds absolutely maddening! I am so sorry you are having a hard time. I sympathize greatly. My first we trained late at 33 months and it was a breezer relatively speaking. She got it on day one and after two days of trying to control things and being obsitnate, she gave it and did it as if she always had been. Little lady two has been giving us all the signs for a couple of months so I decided to trade the diaper problems we were having for potty learning and after three days she got it but she still chooses to do other things over going to the potty and then cannot hold it all in when it is time to go. This essentially is keeping me from going almost anywhere.

I will put out some goodness for your little boy to care too and maybe we will both be past this soon. Mine will absolutely not go back to diapers so I am rather stuck. We shall make it, I think.

LittleTadpoleDesigns 09-09-2011 03:15 PM

:) Thanks so much for your kind words. I know he's not going to be in diapers forever... I just had such hopes that we'd "get it" this summer and it's discouraging to not make progress. Just one more thing to teach us patience I guess.

Tweedledum 09-13-2011 11:04 AM

Are you willing to put him in split-crotch pants? It will help to keep his legs warm but have ease of access and a feeling of nakedness still...