Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In April (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=139)
-   -   First prenatal today (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275829)

lilbugsmomma 09-09-2011 02:54 PM

First prenatal today

I just got back from my first check-up. My TSH is up to 14 (hypothyroid), so they upped my synthroid dose to 125. And my iron is already down to 119, I think normal is between 120-150. I ended up on iron pills with my DS. Desperately trying to avoid them this time around. Any tips on how to keep my iron up? I try to eat the right foods, but honestly the thought of any food makes me a little :yuck:. I take a prenatal pill everyday. Just wondering if there are any other vitamins I could take. But anyways other than those two things (which I expected) everything is looking good!! He's booking me an ultrasound and referring me to a female doctor :thumbsup: since he doesn't do prenatal.

MNclothdiaperin'Momma 09-09-2011 03:19 PM

Re: First prenatal today

Yay. Glad it went well. I'm not any help though for the iron. Hope you can get your levels to where they need to be.

Jatango 09-09-2011 05:20 PM

I'm may 2012-er, but also a thyroid patient. Up your vit D, vit C and B vitamins to help that iron. Liver is good. As is cooking in a cast iron pan. Good luck!

wondermama 09-12-2011 02:57 PM

Vit B Complex. Is good it has all the B's plus iron and more. It has helped me a ton. Good Luck!

Fusion 09-12-2011 03:06 PM

blackstrap molasses helps with iron. You can swirl it in some hot water like a tea.

SeaChellsRun 09-14-2011 06:00 PM

What's the reason you don't want an iron supplement? You can increase your greens intake. You can buy green powders to add to water, chlorella tablets, smoothies with kale etc. For iron my holistic practitioner is having me take ferrofood. It's in a capsule, easy to take and I haven't had any issues with it.

chayla 09-14-2011 07:55 PM

Glad your appointment went well.

As for the iron, I have heard from researchers that vit. D helps the absorbsion of the iron. They said that docs prescribe higher doses and lower doses depending on their beliefs about iron absorbtion. That's the problem with iron pills. Goodluck with upping your intake. I am hoping mine is fine :)

lilbugsmomma 09-15-2011 12:09 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ChellySnow (Post 13753601)
What's the reason you don't want an iron supplement?

They made me feel sick last time and were really hard on my digestive system (constipation :blush:).

I went to the health food store yesterday and got some extra vitamins! I'm definitely going to give the molasses a try as well. Thanks for all the advice. Hopefully I can find something that works!