Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   TTA - Trying To Avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=218)
-   -   Tell me about charting to avoid (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1275870)

kat216 09-09-2011 05:19 PM

Tell me about charting to avoid

DH and I are planning to start TTC next spring, and I'm wondering if now might be a good time to switch from Nuvaring to FAM/charting to avoid before we TTC.

I've studied TCOYF, and it makes sense, but having been on hormonal BC for so long, I'm skeptical about it's ease/effectiveness. Does anyone have advice/experience about charting to avoid?

Sigrid 09-19-2011 11:16 AM

Re: Tell me about charting to avoid

I am interested in others experience as well. I know many Mama's on here use charting and family planning method with great success and I am starting to have major problems with hormonal BC after DS2 so I had to stop my pills. I would also like to hear some people good and bad sides of this method. Encourage me Mama's!

jbug_4 09-20-2011 07:16 AM

Can't believe no one has piped in yet. I looked it up, but have never really looked into charting. We are not ttc but we are not tta really either. I cheated and looked at a proposed discharge chart- your suppose to chart your own, but I have never really paid attention. We're both on the fence about having another child- dh has been leaning more to no then I am. So we kind of just stopped using our barrier method (leave it up to fate thing) but I did look up the discharge chart and told him according to that when we would be most fertile and left it to him to decide whether to protect or not. I am really curious about successful use of charting. Dh is going to get a vasectomy, but he would love to avoid that. However if we have a 3rd we defiantly don't want to risk a fourth- I am not sure we'd ever be comfortable with charting. Too much room for human error.

Melinda29 09-20-2011 08:25 AM

Too much to try to explain in a post, but easy peasy once you figure it out. Find a teacher at www.fertilitycare.org

Michelle_M 10-06-2011 01:29 PM

If you avoid sex (or use a condom) between days 8 and 21, you will more than likely avoid a prgenancy. This is effective for woman who regularly have a cycle of 22-32 days.

So that's where we are starting. On top of that, I have started taking my temperature every morning and have started keeping an eye for CM and then using an OPK. I figure between the cm, the opk, and the temperature, I should be able to see a nice pattern after about 3 months to get an idea of where in my cycle I ovulate. Until that happens, we'll continue to use a condom between days 8 and 23 (my cycles have been a bit longer, so taking the extra few days just to be "safe"). Some people use cycle beads as a visual reminder of when to be "careful." I just use www.mymonthlycycles.com to keep track of which days I am on and to record my temperatures, periods, cm, etc.. on.

The book "Taking charge of your fertility" was recommended to me, but I haven't picked it up yet.

We are TTA right now, but I hope to convince my DH of another pregnancy early next year, so in addition to helping us avoid right now, it'll be nice to have a pattern from several cyclese for when we are actually ready to TTC.

Good luck.
God bless!

joeslittlewoman 10-07-2011 01:47 PM

I started 'practicing' FAM when we were ttc, and then when it wouldn't be a big deal to get pregnant. It really works well, and it is nice to understand your body and be off of artificial hormones. After having kids my fertility signs are even more obvious.

I rarely sttn, so I don't bother with temping for now (which actually tells you that you already ovulated). I go by my cervical changes (position, open/closed, wetness, consistency, etc). We use condoms from about day 10 or 12 to be extra careful. I ovulate around day 17 and have 25-26 day cycles. I have just now had enough pp periods to feel comfy to not use a condom from day 19 on. I have a definite pattern much like before kids, and very clear fertility signs.

Michelle_M 10-07-2011 03:33 PM

To avoid pregnancy, is it 2 days after ovulation that it's ok to have sex without a condom? That's what I seem to remember, am I correct?

God bless!

joeslittlewoman 10-07-2011 04:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Michelle_M
To avoid pregnancy, is it 2 days after ovulation that it's ok to have sex without a condom? That's what I seem to remember, am I correct?

God bless!

I don't have my book out, but yes, 2 days if you are sure you ovulated. (I believe the recommendation is to abstain/protect a day after ovulation). And remember OPKs do not mean you are ovulating. They detect an LH surge that occurs prior to ovulation. Use your temps, cervical position, cervical mucous/fluid to confirm ovulation has occurred/is over.

Michelle_M 10-07-2011 04:12 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by joeslittlewoman (Post 13897257)
I don't have my book out, but yes, 2 days if you are sure you ovulated. (I believe the recommendation is to abstain/protect a day after ovulation). And remember OPKs do not mean you are ovulating. They detect an LH surge that occurs prior to ovulation. Use your temps, cervical position, cervical mucous/fluid to confirm ovulation has occurred/is over.

Thanks for the reminder... but yeah, I know that OPKs will typically test positive 24 to 48 hours PRIOR to ovulation. Which is why I'm using that info WITH my morning temps.

I have no idea how to check my cervical position.... and am still learning how to read my CM.

I went from normal (not overly mucousy), to very moist but watery, not the egg white stuff people talk about. That was the night before last. Last night I got really "turned on." Then today I *THINK* I had a positive OPK. The lines are CLOSE in color, but I'm not 100% sure that my test line wasn't just a tad lighter.

Going to retest tonight and tomorrow. But if I got a positive today (CD 13), then that means I'll likely ovulate on day 15, which is pretty close to what I expect, given that my last three cycles have been 36 days, 33 days, and 3 days.

God bless!

Stefibeth 10-09-2011 10:08 PM

I first utlized FAM for 8 out of our 10 cycles TTC. I went back on BCPs after I had DS because we just weren't really sure what we wanted to do, but we definitely knew that we didn't want another baby less than 1 year after our first! Welcoming your first baby is just such a crazy time and so many sleepless nights, etc. and I wasn't ready to take on the responsibility of charting to avoid. About a month before DS's first birthday we decided that we were willing to be happy with any "surprise" pregnancy and started charting to avoid. That was January 2011 and here we are still going strong with charting to avoid as our only method of BC. I absolutely love it for so many reasons! Now. I don't know if I would have had the confidence to just jump right in to it the way we did if I hadn't used it for so many cycles TTC. I was already really familiar with the process and that sort of thing. We never used a backup form of BC although the first 2-3 cycles I was VERY careful with my possible fertile window JIC. But the good thing is, if you want to ease into it and get used to the process then you can just use a backup form of BC like condoms for as long as it takes you to feel comfortable with it. I highly recommend it although you do have to be diligent and responsible about it. Yes, there is room for human error, but honestly, only if you don't do your part (like observe your CM or take your temp everyday). If you do those two things (and/or observe your cervical position) there really isn't much room for error if you're listening to what your body has to say. It's really not a big deal, I "observe" my CM any time I use the rest room. It just happens automatically now. And it takes about 30 seconds to stick a thermometer in my mouth in the morning and note what it reads. It takes some getting used to to make these things routine, but it happens really quickly. Give it a few weeks and it all becomes second nature. Certainly once you get through a cycle or two you'll be feeling like a pro!