Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Why is my baby fussy at bedtime feeding? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276088)

mrspopo 09-10-2011 12:39 AM

Why is my baby fussy at bedtime feeding?

nappymaven812 09-10-2011 02:15 AM

Re: Why is my baby fussy at bedtime feeding?

With my second baby I had a similar problem. She doesn't like to nurse when she's really sleepy so with her even if it's not time to put her in bed, she would rather eat her last meal an hour or so before she actuall goes to bed. I also started to have trouble with producing enough milk for the last feeding and I never had that with my first baby. I had to work hard to make sure I ate dinner earlier than normal and drink more water. I started drinking Natural Medicinals Milk Tea, and that helped a lot. But now that I'm adding an extra meal I don't need to drink it anymore and don't have trouble with the last feeding. She is 8.5 months now. I take a meal replacement shake and vitamins that have gotten me in over all better health. One of the main ingredients is Alfalfa and that helps you produce milk. If you're interested in these shakes it's not just any meal replacement shake, it's the best quality out there. PM me if you are interested. It has greatly improoved my husbands health and energy, and has even made my skin look yonder. I wish you well!

cherrycoke 09-10-2011 03:37 AM

I noticed that for a long time, my supply was so low at the end of the day that it would take DS a long time to fill up. He's also fussy when he's frustrated about how slow my milk comes out sometimes, like he gets bored and pinches/scratches/kicks to entertain himself. DS will be four next week and only recently stopped "cluster feeding" (which is what it felt like) before bedtime.

mibarra 09-10-2011 09:05 AM

Could she be gassy in the evening? That happened with my DD. We would do Mylicon 30 min before bed with a tummy rub to help. Sometimes seemed like she wanted to nurse just to get the gas out. :)

trying4more 09-10-2011 11:53 AM

Colic maybe?
Or something you've been eating?
My DS has a very sensitive tummy, so I had a weird bland diet while nursing, but he seemed to get worse at night. His Ped said that babies are more prone to be notice their discomforts at night and be more sensitive. (kind of like when we are sick, it seems worse at bedtime!)
I hope that it passes soon. A fussy baby at bedtime is no fun!

Connor 09-10-2011 09:44 PM

Everyone's supply is lowest in the evenings. Just keep nursing her, your supply will adjust accordingly.

mrspopo 09-11-2011 12:06 AM

Thank you for the suggestions and support :)

I have figured out a few things... since she's on the end of a growth spurt, I think I was expecting her to drink more. But since the growth spurt has tapered down it seems like she's drinking less per feeding. I think that raised my anxiety and concerns that she wasn't getting enough.

I also was noticing some discomfort/pain on my end which I attributed to low supply in the evening. I thought she was trying to nurse but there wasn't enough in there causing some discomfort for me and frustration for her. But I thought about it more and I think it has more to do with her getting a poor latch. She's never had problems before, so I didn't really suspect that. But I think at bedtime she was too sleepy/frustrated to latch correctly but was still able to get just enough.

So all day I've been focusing on making sure she gets a really good latch and when there's any discomfort I stop and start again or switch sides. I just put her to bed and there was no fussing with the feeding. Hopefully this is a good sign of things to come. I love this forum, it really helps with all these little things that come up :)

KristieW 09-12-2011 12:25 AM

Yayyay!

And ITA about BFing support groups in general--it's SO nice to know that you're not alone with this stuff!

Sarawithouth 09-12-2011 02:37 PM

Yay! I had this same problem, but I was going to suggest putting her down earlier... my DD started being super fussy late in the evenings (we were putting her down around 10), so I tried putting her down at 7:00. Boom! She sleeps, wakes up around 10:30 to nurse, then right back to sleep.

kocho 09-12-2011 04:35 PM

Glad you figured it out!! Oh and I wanted to remind you not to worry about those charts at the doctors office. Most of the doctor's charts are based on formula fed babies. They make it look like our BF babies are underweight. But that's not the case. ((HUGS))