Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Im torn :( (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276230)

BraydensMommy2011 09-10-2011 11:24 AM

Im torn :(

My LO is now 18 days old and I've been breastfeeding for 11 days and these last couple days I've been pumping the milk out and bottle feeding it to him bc my nipples developed sores and I got mastitis & it was just so unbearable! Now that my mastitis is gone he doesn't seem interested in the breast he likes bottle more so I kept pumping, but my milk supply is close to nothing after the mastitis went away and I'm afraid that im going to end up dry and have to switch to formula :( any suggestions ?
I got mastitis from pumping so much that I had an oversupply of milk& when I didn't pump ( at night or out in town ) it got clogged. And even when he did take my breast he wouldn't be able to finish it so I'd have to pump afterwards to empty what he couldn't finish.

smilewithme 09-10-2011 11:45 AM

Re: Im torn :(

I would say hang in there. Offer breast first, and be patient with his irritability about it (easier said then done). My daughter was almost one month before she latched, and we had a lot of problems. But by two months, she was all set, and fully feeding.
It's not easy for everyone. Stick with it, but do what is best for you too mom!

*LizziesLoops* 09-10-2011 11:54 AM

I'm sorry you're having a rough time mama. Mastitis is a doozy to deal with. I really suggest you go ahead and start putting baby back on the breast. He'll be fussy about it at first of course because he's decided he likes the ease of bottles...after all, he doesn't have to work with bottles...it just drips right into his mouth with very little effort. It's going to take a little retraining and getting used to BF'ing again. Take all the bottles and put them away, put the pump away for a while, and just start working on putting baby on the breast and getting him to latch on properly. Don't give him the option of a bottle...he's going to choose easy over work if you do. Just keep offering the breast and when he's hungry he'll start BF'ing again. It'll be rough at first but it really is for the best for both of you. Watch how he latches on and make sure he's latching on properly. Make sure you're positioning him properly so he can latch on the best way. If his latch isn't right, gently take him off and latch him back on correctly until he does it right. Within a couple days, he'll be BF'ing smoothly and your supply will come back up in the process. The stimulation from the baby is what triggers your body to make milk, not the pump. The pump should really only be used when you're away from the baby and it's best not to pump before baby is a month old unless absolutely necessary. Your body needs that time to regulate your supply and both you and baby need that time together to bond and learn to BF together. Slow down some and just spend time skin to skin with your baby. Relax and enjoy your time with baby and don't be on the go so much. Find a day or two and just relax topless with baby and encourage him to BF as much as possible. He's still young enough that he will be drawn to BF'ing because it's the "natural" instinct of babies. If you don't give him the option of a bottle and just spend time with him and encourage BF'ing, you'll both be back on track before you know it. :hugs:

khbordelon 09-10-2011 12:01 PM

Hey mama, can you get in touch with a lactation consultant to help you out?

Also, from what I have been told by an LC, you should never pump to empty your breast this early. Right now you are setting up your supply and your "rythm". By pumping after your LO is finished eating then you are telling your breasts to produce more than what he is actually eating...so your milk becomes more abundant,etc... it is the law of supply and demand. The more your LO eats the more your breasts will make. She told me that, before 4 weeks, you should just pump for relief but NOT to empty your breasts.
Once yor supply is established then you can start pumping to empty and collect. :goodvibes:
I would leak and have rock hard boobs ( ouch!) sometimes and I would just pump a little to relieve it but never to empty.
DD is now 5 1/2 months old and while I sometimes leak if she doesn't feed regularly enough(like at night and I wake up with a drenched shirt! :yuck:) , the rock-hard boobs are history! :giggle2:

BraydensMommy2011 09-10-2011 12:15 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by khbordelon
Hey mama, can you get in touch with a lactation consultant to help you out?

Also, from what I have been told by an LC, you should never pump to empty your breast this early. Right now you are setting up your supply and your "rythm". By pumping after your LO is finished eating then you are telling your breasts to produce more than what he is actually eating...so your milk becomes more abundant,etc... it is the law of supply and demand. The more your LO eats the more your breasts will make. She told me that, before 4 weeks, you should just pump for relief but NOT to empty your breasts.
Once yor supply is established then you can start pumping to empty and collect. :goodvibes:
I would leak and have rock hard boobs ( ouch!) sometimes and I would just pump a little to relieve it but never to empty.
DD is now 5 1/2 months old and while I sometimes leak if she doesn't feed regularly enough(like at night and I wake up with a drenched shirt! :yuck:) , the rock-hard boobs are history! :giggle2:

Yeah before I had hard rock boobs and would leak like crazy! Would actually use some of my LO cloth diaper inserts to absorb all the milk :p!!!! Now that the mastitis Is gone and my milk supply decreased that's history too. It was def pumping that caused my oversupply but now I have an undersupply! BF is really frustrating :/ but I refuse to quit so soon! I'm really against formula unless it is 100% needed.

VeganCupcake 09-10-2011 12:21 PM

Mastitis commonly reduces milk supply temporarily, so you should be able to overcome that, especially if you can get baby back to the breast. You might want to consider an SNS to supplement at the breast--give baby a little bit of extra incentive to be at the breast, while still stimulating your supply and helping him re-learn to nurse.

If you find that you become uncomfortably engorged, you can hand express a small amount just to relieve the discomfort a bit. Your body will figure it out if you let it.

BraydensMommy2011 09-10-2011 12:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake
Mastitis commonly reduces milk supply temporarily, so you should be able to overcome that, especially if you can get baby back to the breast. You might want to consider an SNS to supplement at the breast--give baby a little bit of extra incentive to be at the breast, while still stimulating your supply and helping him re-learn to nurse.

If you find that you become uncomfortably engorged, you can hand express a small amount just to relieve the discomfort a bit. Your body will figure it out if you let it.

What's an SNS? Everytime he's hungry I offer the breast first and he'll latch correctly and suck for a couple second then pull away and start crying and I'll try again and switch positions and he'll do the same untill I give him a bottle :(

Tooshie 09-10-2011 12:52 PM

Hang in there Mama! It's hard at first, my DS went through a period of not wanting to BF. Have a day or two where you take a "nursing vacation", just BF all day long, stay in bed or on the sofa, take a bath together. Give him enough from a cup if he really won't keep latched so he's not super hungry then try to latch again. My LO used to do the same, pull off & scream... I think he was being impatient & didn't want to wait for "let-down". Now he's 5 months and we're old pros! We've both gotten much better & he's fast. 5 min feeds compared to the oh, say 45min ones we used to have :)
Good luck, it's difficult at first but you'll make it! If he's wetting diapers consistently I wouldn't worry (easier said than done) but I worried muc more than I needed to that we were somehow doing it all wrong, when really we were doing just fine

KristieW 09-10-2011 12:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraydensMommy2011 (Post 13725941)
What's an SNS? Everytime he's hungry I offer the breast first and he'll latch correctly and suck for a couple second then pull away and start crying and I'll try again and switch positions and he'll do the same untill I give him a bottle :(

:( An SNS SAVED us with DD1. It's a little tube that you attach to your nipple and the other end goes into a bag of pumped BM/formula. That way not only are they practicing proper latch, etc., but your LO is stimulating you to make more milk.

You can also try finger feeding if he gets really frustrated; you can find some great directions online or videos on YouTube. Cup feeding is another option while you're helping him relearn; those can be good ways to get enough in him to ease his frustration before working on latch.

:hugs::hugs::hugs:

palsmama 09-10-2011 01:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by BraydensMommy2011 (Post 13725941)

Try breast compression to help more milk come out to keep him interested. And at this stage in the game it's not supply and demand yet. It's actually hormone regulated. The more nipple stimulation you get the more milk. So lots of nursing and skin to skin. An sns is a supplimental nursing system that is used at the breast to keep baby nursing and help stimulate milk while supplementing with BM or formula. It's a small tube you tap to you nipple connected to the supplementation and when baby nurses milk comes out. Hang in there mama. I to caused an oversupply by Pumping to early due to jaundice and weight problems. I have been there! It gets easier and better I promise. My DS is 20 mths and still going strong.