Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Cheap, Healthy Recipies?? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1276392)

TakodasMomma 09-10-2011 06:47 PM

Cheap, Healthy Recipies??

I am not even sure if it is possible. But I've searched desperately for healthy food that is cheap to feed my family. Money is tight and we don't want to pig out and raise our son on junk food. Our garden failed this year so that is out. Does anybody know of anything????

peverroad 09-10-2011 06:55 PM

Most anything homemade is better and cheaper than premade.

TakodasMomma 09-10-2011 07:36 PM

Re: Cheap, Healthy Recipies??

True, but we are trying to focus on cheap too. Because we are really short on cash...

wyldcat 09-11-2011 09:14 AM

why not try a kale(98 cents a HUGE bunch here, so use like 1.4 to half of it), small bag of frozen mixed veggie(94 cents here), 1 cup dried lentil (85 cents a 2 cup bag) chicken with tomatoe broth(6 cups, i use bullion cubes so 78 cents for 8 cubes and you use 1 per 2 cups water) to make a soup

pretty cheap and healthy

mama_to_DJM 09-11-2011 09:21 AM

Bean burritos are great. I make these beans from allrecipes.com, and you can either make or buy tortillas. If you buy a pack, the beans + tortillas would be around $3, and with throwing in extras like onion & cheese, you can make a dozen bean burritos for within $5.

mebl0901 09-11-2011 10:00 AM

Have you ever looked at 5dollardinners.com? There are some really great ideas on that site! I'm doing this tonight: http://www.5dollardinners.com/2010/0...f-skillet.html

I think soups are a great idea for cheap, healthy meals. I also do a Lentil soup with lentils, carrots, onions, celery, canned tomatoes, and chopped up sausage that's really good. It makes a ton. Here's the recipe:

Pour boiling water over 1/2-2 c dry lentils. Drain after 15 minutes. Saute chopped onion, celery, carrots, and parsley (I leave this out) in olive oil until soft. Add drained lentils, bay leaf, 1 chopped tomato (or 1 can of diced tomatoes) and 8 c broth (ham, chicken, or beef - I do a combo of chicken and beef). Add chopped ham or sliced smoked sausage (we prefer the sausage. Cook 30 minutes longer.

Chili is a good idea. I do a vegetable beef soup that has ground beef in it that's pretty cheap. Here's the recipe: http://www.southernplate.com/2009/09...-a-secret.html (I think you could leave out the V8 so you have one less thing to buy). This soup always makes enough for me to freeze and make a couple more meals out of it.

A roast in the crockpot is good and can go a long way. I will cook it up with carrots, onions, and potatoes and eat it that way for a meal. And then the next day turn it into BBQ sandwiches but you could do a stir-fry or something else - the possibilities are really endless.

I also have a couple casserole type meals that work well. I've done this and it's really good and makes a ton: http://www.southernplate.com/2010/08...g-section.html
I do a Black Bean Lasagna that I could send you the recipe if you're interested.

Breakfast for supper is good - eggs, toast, fruit, and a meat (if you want). Spaghetti is usually pretty cheap. You can buy a head of romaine lettuce for around $1, wash it and dry it, tear it up and put it in a ziploc for salads as meals or side dishes. You could do red beans and rice with garlic breat - that is easy, cheap, and goes a long way. Going meatless is always cheap - google vegetarian recipes.

Sorry for the rambling - I just kept thinking of things! LOL

HTH!! :goodvibes:

amcess721 09-11-2011 12:49 PM

Breakfasts for dinner are a hit here (and cheap)... waffles, pancakes, egg sandwiches. (Make the waffles and pancake batter from scratch to help with the cheap factor!) We usually have a can of fruit with these dinners if we don't have anything fresh.

Quesadillas can be cheap... tortillas, cheese... and then anything else you have - onions, green peppers, avacado, chicken, beans etc.

Here's a soup recipe that I've made 2x so far and we really like it. It'd still be complete if you even left out the chicken (and I didn't put the mushrooms in either time) (and it's better with celery than the green pepper in my opinion)... Lentil Barley Soup

TakodasMomma 09-11-2011 07:01 PM

The 5$ meals are AWESOME! Thank you! I'm trying to find foods that my son can eat too, which is surprisingly at lot.. He isn't even a year old and already broke of the bottle...took 1 day...

mommyinthesun 09-11-2011 07:49 PM

We are in a rough financial patch this month and heres some of what im cooking.....

Ramen Stir-fry- bags of Top Ramen($0.18 each), bag of frozen mixed veggies ($1), 1 chicken breast ($1?). I cook the ramen, drain it. Slice/dice/cube the chicken and saute in olive oil. Mix in the ramen, veggies, and 1-2 of the ramen seasoning packets. Cook until heated through. TOTAL= $2.54

Spaghetti and salad- 1lb ground beef ($2), Jar of sauce ($1- I do my own out of tomato sauce and seasonings), pack of whole grain pasta ($1.25), bag of salad ($1). TOTAL=$4.25

Stuffed peppers- I only buy peppers when theyre 3/$1, lb of ground meat ($2), cup of rice ($0.25?), tomato sauce ($1), cheese-optional ($1). TOTAL= $5.25

Pancakes and eggs for dinner- $2?

Grilled cheese and Tomato soup (on soccer nights :) ) $3?

Potato soup- $5? and we have left overs for lunch!

Leocaligirl 09-12-2011 12:23 AM

Potato soup

Potatoes
Onions
Celery
Carrots
Milk
Cream
Veg. or Chicken broth ( if you use the powder you mix with water it is cheaper)

i cook the onions, carrots and celery til soft.
Add the broth
Add the cubed potatoes
Cook til soft
Puree with stick blender
Add milk and cream (and more broth if needed) until you have your desired consistency.
Add salt and pepper to taste.

Top with cheese, sour cream and green onions. DH likes bacon on it.
It is so yummy.