Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Best beer for lactation? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277332)

amzasmommy 09-12-2011 11:49 AM

Best beer for lactation?

I took Amza to the dr for an ear infection again. Thankfully it's cleared up on it's own. Just some fluid still. We're changing his allergy meds again and upping the dose. Anyway, while there I asked about topping off Eden's bottles with whole milk since I'm slightly short each week now. He said once the freezer stash is gone that I could. He said in the meantime though to drink a beer a day and see if that helps! Too funny. I know it's supposed to help supply, but I just never expected that to be his rx.

So, what kind of beer works the best? I HATE light beers like bud light, etc. Guinness is ok, but I really have to be in the mood. I guess I'm stopping by the liquor store tonight. What should I get?

Emma 09-12-2011 12:11 PM

Re: Best beer for lactation?

Dark beer - porter or stout. I'm drinking Guinness as that is my only choice at our local store at the moment.

percussionsmith 09-12-2011 12:17 PM

I think I need your doc's name! :giggle2:

Seriously, I think it's the hops...I'd go with an IIPA (india pale ale) personally, but I think that a lot of people who aren't really beer drinkers do pretty well with something like Spaten or a wheat beer. (Bells Summer Wheat---mmmm)

percussionsmith 09-12-2011 12:18 PM

Ooohh, if you have a good selection at your liquor store you could get Youngs Double Chocolate Stout!

amzasmommy 09-12-2011 01:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by percussionsmith (Post 13737279)

Seriously, I think it's the hops...I'd go with an IIPA (india pale ale) personally, but I think that a lot of people who aren't really beer drinkers do pretty well with something like Spaten or a wheat beer. (Bells Summer Wheat---mmmm)

Thanks for the suggestions. I think I'll pick up some singles on the way home tonight for variety and bake some more lactation bread.

I LOVE my dr though. He's a traditionally trained MD family practioner, but he is fairly crunchy! He's super supportive of bfing, delaying solids, trying natural remedies, cding... His dd has 7 kids and had 5 home births! Unfortunately he's leaving his practice to become a residency director, so we're following him w/ the hopes of finding a new dr like him when he fully retires.

Sarawithouth 09-12-2011 01:31 PM

NOT stouts or porters - there aren't enough hop oils. I recommend an Indian Pale Ale (IPA), specifially one with the highest IBUs you can find. Try Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA - mmmm.

songbird516 09-12-2011 04:19 PM

I usually try and find something not pasteurized, Guiness is the easiest one, but we have a local beer that I can get from Whole Foods called Legend that's really good also.

Emma 09-12-2011 06:00 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sarawithouth (Post 13737835)
NOT stouts or porters - there aren't enough hop oils. I recommend an Indian Pale Ale (IPA), specifially one with the highest IBUs you can find. Try Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA - mmmm.

Really? My LC is the one who said to drink the Guinness or other dark beer. She said something about brewer's yeast.

Kriket 09-12-2011 06:17 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by percussionsmith (Post 13737279)

Quote:

Originally Posted by Emma (Post 13739602)
Really? My LC is the one who said to drink the Guinness or other dark beer. She said something about brewer's yeast.

it's the yeast :) drink what you like as long as it's not light. i may be taking out my butt, but i would think a wheat beer... draft if you can get it. Shock top, blue moon etc. OOH!! Sierra Nevada they are one of the only beers i can think of that uses yeast lined bottles to carbonate the beer. they call it "conditioning" they also have a selection to choose from. HTH. I was a bartender before i had kids :)

amzasmommy 09-13-2011 07:49 AM

Ok, I tried the India Pale Ale last night and GROSS! Sorry for the girls that like it, but I couldn't finish it. Neither could so and he's a beer drinker. We're going w/ Guinness tonight.