Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   BF for 13+ months, not interested in cow's milk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277625)

kalapolo 09-12-2011 08:06 PM

BF for 13+ months, not interested in cow's milk

I hope this is the right forum for this concern:

DD nursed until a little after 13 months (milk production faded quickly with pregnancy). About a week after she stopped nursing, we gave her cow's milk for the first time. That time, and every time since, she'll take a sip or two and then will refuse to have any more. We have tried two different types of whole milk (one from a local dairy, pasteurized but not homogenized, and organic from the grocery store). She has no problems with yogurt, cheese, or things containing milk. Almost all of her liquid during the day is water (which obviously doesn't have the calcium/vitamins/nutrients of milk), with a small cup (4-5 oz) of orange juice diluted 50% with water every other day or so. Any ideas on how to up the milk consumption? I know it tastes different than breastmilk, which I assume is most of the problem... TIA for your ideas!

lilluciana 09-12-2011 09:14 PM

Re: BF for 13+ months, not interested in cow's milk

I don't really have any advice to offer but I just wanted to let you know this is quite common. Two of my boys would not touch milk for atleast a year after weaning them. I did make their oatmeal with milk and they never minded, for more calcium I would put their cheerios in yogurt and just give them a spoon. It wasn't until they were around 3-3.5 that they would drink it.

mibarra 09-12-2011 10:04 PM

My DD took probably 3-4 months to really warm up to cows milk. Though she was a formula baby. I kept offering it and 1 day she just started drinking it .....

doulamomma 09-12-2011 10:34 PM

Imo babies dont really need cows milk, but if you feel like your lo needs something, try almond milk. It's got a sweeter taste thats closer to bm

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos :)

VeganCupcake 09-12-2011 11:20 PM

Hemp milk or coconut milk are good choices for the healthy fats for brain development.

Buuuut, my DD won't drink any "milk" except breastmilk.

palsmama 09-12-2011 11:36 PM

Don't worry about it mama. IMO humans dont NEED cows milk. For all the nutrients you are worried about her not getting from the lack of cows milk just offer a very healthy diet of fruits and veggies! They are very nutrient dense. It's the government and media telling you that you child needs the cows milk when in reality it has very little nutrients! A healthy balanced diet will be just fine for your dd. Almond milk is great as is coconut milk.

the_oz_girl 09-12-2011 11:44 PM

Yeah, I wouldn't worry about it. If you're that concerned with the nutrient content of her diet, go see a nutritionist. They can help you find new & interesting ways of preparing and offering her all the vitamins, minerals and calories other kids are getting from cow's milk. It is an awesome chance to expose her to a tasty variety of greens like spinach and kale for instance, which are a decent source of calcium and more so that she's used to eating a truly balanced variety of flavors and textures by the time she's old enough to think about being picky, lol. Fruits and veggies are more nutrient dense than cow's milk if eaten in enough variety, milk is just usually easier and more convenient.

Pampered Mama 09-13-2011 05:39 AM

My Ds won't drink cow milk- he eats plenty of other dairy like yogurt and cheese, and when I asked his pedi, she told me that it is really not necessary for kids to drink milk, if they don't like it, don't force it! There is no need for a substitute fluid milk, either- just to make sure he gets enough nutrients from natural sources and to not just feed him a vitamin every day :-) She said it is very common for bf kids to not like cow milk. DS is almost 3, and we just stopped nursing about 3 weeks ago.