Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   In The Kitchen (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=16)
-   -   Desperately Need Pots and Pans - What to look for? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1277657)

B's Mommy 09-12-2011 09:05 PM

Desperately Need Pots and Pans - What to look for?

Right now, we own the cheap, under $20 set of pots and pans from Dollar General. The Teflon has chipped off it, and almost every piece has rust on the inside. I'm sure it isn't healthy, but we've been washing the pans as best as possible before each use and just making due because we can't afford to replace the set. When the rice I cooked for lunch today came out with rust stuck to the bottom of it, I decided we HAD to do something. I decided that we need to buy a small pot for cooking things like rice and ramen noodles in first, but I'm not sure what to look for. I don't want to buy another cheap set that will leave gross stuff in our food. I obviously can't afford a good set, but I figured maybe if I do it piece by piece eventually we'll have a full set. What type of pot should we invest in? I've read that Teflon isn't great to cook in anyway, so if I stay away from that, great, but I'm not entirely opposed to it either, as long as it won't come off the pots/pans and let it rust.

Mom2myboys 09-12-2011 09:48 PM

Re: Desperately Need Pots and Pans - What to look for?

If you can hold out until november maybe buying some cheap pans until then a lot of department stores have killer deals on cookware for black friday. Last year I was able to get a Wolfgang Puck stainless steel set for about $100.00.

prettynpink613 09-12-2011 10:00 PM

TJ max and Marshalls are my go-to for pot and pans. I don't have a "set" necessarily, but I have all the pieces I need for a great price for quality items!!

NicoleT 09-12-2011 10:11 PM

Look for Paula Dean pots and pans at any discount store- big lots, Ross, marshals. We haven't bought any pans in a long time because I get hand me downs- but my mom swears by Paula dean pans and she got them all for pretty cheap!

tpb2930 09-12-2011 10:23 PM

Got the robin egg blue porcelain nonstick Paula deene set from walmart & love them!!!! I paid $80 :0)

lookatreestar 09-13-2011 12:25 AM

maybe purchase a high end piece at a time? i find that the sets from big box stores are kind of junky. and we do not use teflon/nonstick.

sjh100 09-13-2011 04:19 AM

If you have a Bed Bath and Beyond, you can buy a Cuisinart Green Gourmet pan, which is supposedly non-Teflon nonstick. And you can use a coupon. Not sure if they sell the saucepan though; we bought our skillet for frying eggs and such there.

Also compare prices on amazon too; sometimes it works put to about the same.

jcalumna 09-13-2011 05:21 AM

I would suggest hosting a Pampered Chef party to earn a half-priced item and purchasing one of their cookware sets. My friend has a set & I am so envious of them - they are GREAT quality that you can't buy in a store. She got a great deal when she got them at half price by hosting a party. I wish I could get them, but DH would have a fit since we got the set of All-Clad Emerilware as a wedding gift. Wish I knew about Pampered Chef back when we did our wedding registry!

Minniebees 09-13-2011 05:25 AM

We have a Le Crueset set. They are quite pricey, but I bought second quality at the outlet. They have the same guarantee, it's just that the enamel isn't put on as 100% perfect as they like. I love these pots! If you take care of them, they will last forever. They are enameled cast iron, so they are non-stick, practically indestructible, and will go in the dishwasher.

Try buying one piece at a time. They have a pot and skillet combo (the skillet is the "lid") that's about 50 bucks, so you can get 2 to start with for about that price.

BESMama 09-13-2011 11:10 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by prettynpink613 (Post 13741157)
TJ max and Marshalls are my go-to for pot and pans. I don't have a "set" necessarily, but I have all the pieces I need for a great price for quality items!!

:thumbsup: