Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   How to deal with comments about weaning after 1 (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278329)

myclanof6 09-13-2011 10:04 PM

How to deal with comments about weaning after 1

DD will be 1 in a month :cry5: and I am getting the question "So you're going to wean when she's 1 right?" :banghead: I am the first one in my family to bf, I have 3 sisters and 6 neices and nephews, 3 boys of my own, and dd was the first one I bf'd. When people ask how long I tell them we'll stop when she's ready to stop, but I'm getting tired of the looks of shock and slight disgust. I've been dealing with my mom who has been on a rant about me needing to get her to take a bottle, but I think she's realized it isn't happening (dd won't allow it :thumbsup:). DD has had weight issues because of medical reasons (main reason why my mom pushed bottles), but is eating solids now and gaining weight very quickly, and the ?s are coming more frequently about stopping at 1. My goal when I started was to get to 3 months, then 6, and now it's whenever she wants to stop. She still nurses every 2-3 hours, about 3 hours even when she eats solids 2x a day. I don't see an end in sight and don't really care, but the comments are starting to drive me crazy. DH was thinking I should stop at 1 (when she was little) but is fine with going on until maybe 18 months or so, I don't think he's going to be a problem at all. Sorry, this is pretty much a rant but I really want to know how others deal with the comment about needing to wean at 1 and how you handled it. Thanks to everyone who has read this far!
ETA: I am the only one who cd's and I'm the only one who used a carrier (moby, and ordering an O&A this week!!) so my family already thinks I've lost it since I had dd last year. :)

majomama 09-13-2011 10:12 PM

My mil said something about dd2 weaning (15 mths) and since I was a little taken aback I just blurted out, "why go out and buy milk when she has the cow at home?". She looked at me and burst out laughing at that was the end of that convo :thumbsup:

SENMom 09-13-2011 10:18 PM

Re: How to deal with comments about weaning after 1

Quote:

Originally Posted by majomama (Post 13748347)
My mil said something about dd2 weaning (15 mths) and since I was a little taken aback I just blurted out, "why go out and buy milk when she has the cow at home?". She looked at me and burst out laughing at that was the end of that convo :thumbsup:

Bwahahahahahahaha....(HUGE GASP FOR AIR)...ahahahahahahahaha!!!!!

:roflmbo:

Now THAT was funny!!!

Okay, I have to admit I was a little taken back a few months ago when I heard of mommas B****** past a year. Now I think that as long as little one is getting what they need and they are healthy BF till your hearts content. My last DS is now 11 mos, and I had to stop nursing at 5 months because I didn't produce enough milk for him (same with my 1st DS, and #2 DS weaned himself at 5 months). I would give ANYTHING to still be B******. I miss it, and I tried everything to get LO to keep going :cry:.
Do what you think is best for your LO. There are only 2 (maybe 3) opinions that matter; yours and LO's.

Good Luck Momma!

litlckrets 09-13-2011 10:20 PM

It can be difficult to hear people that you care about bashing something that is important to you. I don't really understand why anyone else would think it's their business in the first place. My oldest stopped nursing at 2.5 years old when I was pregnant with our youngest. I KNOW everyone in our family thought it was strange (and before I had kids I would have thought it was strange, too). Basically, if asked I would just answer confidently that he is getting great nutrition and immunity through my milk still. I think being assertive without being rude/pushy with my answers made them back off naturally. I also think that some in my family think I'm one of "those moms" (whatever that is, LOL) and just leave me alone about issues in which we don't agree. It was hard at first and there where times my feelings were hurt by dirty looks/rude comments from family... but I decided that I was going to put my son's needs over their uneducated opinions.

majors3 09-13-2011 10:24 PM

I say to my mom (and sometimes others just to scare them) "Did you know that the natural age of weaning is between 2.5 and 7?" Maybe it's that thought of you nursing your baby till 7, that makes people think that nursing at age 1 really isn't that bad, but they usually stop talking at that point :giggle2:

mibarra 09-13-2011 10:24 PM

Just as with all parenting decisions down to whether or not baby is dressed appropriately, everyone has an opinion! :) You just have to let it go... cuz people never stop. If it was my family I'd say you already know my plans and so we don't really need to talk about this anymore.

melilo 09-13-2011 10:28 PM

I usually just say I will continue as long as he wants to.

If more explanation is needed, I add that my milk is really good for him.

Most people leave it alone at that. No biggie. It's only a big deal if you make it one. Your family, your decision.

:hugs:

myclanof6 09-13-2011 10:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by majomama (Post 13748347)

:roflmbo: Oh good gravy I have to use that one!!!

Addicted2fluff 09-13-2011 10:36 PM

I used to get those sorts of questions when DS was an infant... now that he's 3yo and tandem nursing with 5mo DD, I haven't heard any questions in a while :) When he was little, I would say, "I don't know. However long he wants to go for." I'm lucky enough to have come from a family of extended BFers. But yeah, like a melilo said, it's your business and don't sweat it because you know what you're doing.

cdwelton 09-13-2011 10:53 PM

That's a hard one. I'm lucky to have a MIL who nursed her babies til 18 months that defends me. Some people just don't understand. I'll admit that I didn't until I read about BF and then had my own baby. My brother in laws and brothers are mostly the ones who don't get it. We have kinda made it into a joke that I'm going to nurse my babies until they are 48 months (the movie Grown ups!??!!!). That way they aren't giving me crap, and we can all laugh.