Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Nursing a newborn (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1278341)

EmilyAnn86 09-13-2011 10:32 PM

Nursing a newborn

My nipples HURT! Baby has a perfect latch (according to midwife and LC) but my nipples still hurt. They look kind of scabby and feel tough. Is this normal pain from getting used to nursing a new baby or what? I have read "nursing is never supposed to hurt" and I have read "it's normal for nursing to be painful for the first few weeks." So which is it? I am trying to let them air out as much as possible and using motherlove nipple cream (im allergic to lanolin) but they still hurt so bad I want to cry when he first latches on.

joyous 09-13-2011 10:52 PM

The exact same thing happened to me. There were times I would cry when she ate because my nipples were so sore , although her latch was perfect. They also peeled. I don't know if this is "normal" but I can assure you it will pass-- if she's latching properly of course. I think the worst of it was over around 2 weeks. By 3 weeks, it was completely better. My nipples just had to get used to it.

Good luck mama! You're doing the very best thing for your sweet baby!

cdwelton 09-13-2011 10:58 PM

Re: Nursing a newborn

I hurt bad until 3-4 weeks and then it got better. I used to scab when I was engorged (if you are try icing in between feedings). DD also had bad nipple confusion with a binky which made me scab (she is not aloud to have a binky anymore!!). I personally think it's normal. If you can push through and make it past the first 2-6 weeks, you'll be good :) You can do it!! :goodvibes:

lolis 09-14-2011 12:27 AM

It will pass. Your nipples will toughen up. I was in the same exact position you were, and now DD and I are old pros! I was constantly asking "So like no pain AT ALL?" because I do feel something...and yeah my nipples are scabbing and bleeding and there's this red bubble like thing on my nipple????

I promise you it will go away. :D

jessnic 09-14-2011 06:01 AM

DS is two months old and I still slather on the lanolin several times a day or my nipples dry out and feel tough and hurt. He has a wonderful latch, but the LC said I just have sensitive skin. So Lanolin them up!

jcalumna 09-14-2011 07:35 AM

I also was sore when I began BF for the first time. And there was pain at times when she was feeding although she had a good latch. It did go away. Now at 5mo, DD is EBF & it's a breeze. Hang in there, mama! It will get better! The first few weeks are the hardest!!!

BottomOfMyHearts 09-14-2011 07:36 AM

Hurts for about 2 weeks then your nips get toughened up. ;) Let down can also feel like a "burning or stinging" sensation too right at the start. (I just learned that!)

Merilwen 09-14-2011 07:42 AM

When I first started it hurt too bad to continue, I got a pump and thought I would just have to pump the milk for ds. However, when I pumped I felt what I had done wrong. Without the crying squirming infant, it is easier to find the way to latch (plus you can see through it to see where your nipple is) and once you know how it is supposed to feel, it is easier to get the latch to work with the infant. After that I had a little soreness, but no pain.

So that is my advice, if you can get your hands on a pump and use that to get a feel of how it is supposed to feel...

mrsmchugh 09-15-2011 08:56 AM

Mine pain finally went away after about 1 month. I rarely had pain on the left breast, but always on the right and knew he was latching properly. I feared I would always have pain on that side...but it went away. No pain any more! Best wishes!

mrsmchugh 09-15-2011 08:56 AM

*my* pain :)