Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Please help! Inhibited let down. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279031)

ariannasmommy22 09-15-2011 08:09 AM

Please help! Inhibited let down.

This happened with my 1st child 2.5 years ago. Around when she was 4 months my milk stopped letting down. As a result she only got the milk in the milk ducts (the foremilk) and my supply started dropping because my milk wasn't letting down and my breasts weren't emptying. My daughter started dropping weight and I had to start supplementing with formula. Eventually, I lost my complete supply and she wanted nothing to do with the breast.

Fast forward to now. I have a 7 wk old boy and my milk is starting to do the same thing. It isn't letting down. Now, I know it's not letting down because I'm watching his swallowing. I feel like it's the beginning of the same thing that happened with my daughter. I am doing everything I can to relax and try to get it to let down. A little history, I had breast augmentation surgery when I was young and stupid (not thinking about breastfeeding). They went in through my armpits so my nipples weren't affected. I don't know if this has something to do with it or not. I'm just devastated it's happening again. I can't let my baby starve and I don't want to watch him drop weight like my daughter did. He has been growing good up until now. Please somebody help me...

Connor 09-15-2011 02:18 PM

It you've been letting down for 7 weeks I don't see how you could just stop. Maybe it's taking longer to letdown? How many times a day are you nursing? Is the implant above or below the muscle?

VeganCupcake 09-15-2011 02:46 PM

Re: Please help! Inhibited let down.

Can you work with an IBCLC, especially someone who is experienced with helping women who've had breast surgeries? Here's where you can find an IBCLC in your area: http://www.ilca.org/i4a/pages/index.cfm?pageid=3337

ariannasmommy22 09-15-2011 03:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Connor (Post 13758994)
It you've been letting down for 7 weeks I don't see how you could just stop. Maybe it's taking longer to letdown? How many times a day are you nursing? Is the implant above or below the muscle?

I'm pretty sure in the beginning I just had an oversupply like we all do. Like I said this is exactly how it started with my daughter. I mean is it normal for you to letdown once or twice a day? I don't think so. I have had to supplement 3x today with a bottle of EBM. He is fussy and not getting anything at the breast. I'm nursing every 1.5-2 hours. My implants are above the muscle.

Connor 09-15-2011 04:20 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ariannasmommy22

I'm pretty sure in the beginning I just had an oversupply like we all do. Like I said this is exactly how it started with my daughter. I mean is it normal for you to letdown once or twice a day? I don't think so. I have had to supplement 3x today with a bottle of EBM. He is fussy and not getting anything at the breast. I'm nursing every 1.5-2 hours. My implants are above the muscle.

I do know it's more common to have problems breastfeeding if the implant is above the muscle. More than likely it isn't a letdown issue, more like a supply issue. Have you tried anything to increase your supply? I'm going to do some looking in my text, Breastfeeding Answers made simple and see what I can find.

ariannasmommy22 09-15-2011 06:27 PM

Yes, I've been on domperdone for over a month now. This past week I started taking Fenugreek. I eat steel cut oatmeal every morning. I started pumping today. Is there anything more I can do? So when you have a low supply do you stop letting down?

ariannasmommy22 09-15-2011 06:30 PM

Oh and I drink about a gallon of water a day! I don't drink anything else except a small cup of coffee in the morning and whole milk.

Connor 09-15-2011 07:47 PM

Quote:

Yes, I've been on domperdone for over a month now. This past week I started taking Fenugreek. I eat steel cut oatmeal every morning. I started pumping today. Is there anything more I can do? So when you have a low supply do you stop letting down?

These are great ways to increase supply. Yes, low supply would mean less let downs. How much.domperidone are you taking? You could pump one side while you nurse on the other, this tells your body that you are nursing twins and will signal an increase in production. You could try "power pumping," there are different variations of this. Pump 10 min, take 10min break, pump 10min. Do that for an hour 2-3 times a day. That combined with the supplements and oats should bring your supply back up.

Also, what are his wet and poopy diapers like each day? That's really all you need to watch. If enough is going in there will be enough coming out.

ariannasmommy22 09-15-2011 07:52 PM

I'm taking 90mg 3x a day of domperidone. If I pump one side while he is nursing doesnt that take milk from him that he would be getting?

Connor 09-15-2011 08:28 PM

Quote:

I'm taking 90mg 3x a day of domperidone. If I pump one side while he is nursing doesnt that take milk from him that he would be getting?

Any pumping would essentially be taking milk. But the point is to signal your body to make more milk. By doing that it tells your body to make enough milk to feed 2 babies. You're taking 90mg a day total, or 90mg 3x a day?