Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   thinking of adding a bottle... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1279350)

carolineb 09-15-2011 05:42 PM

thinking of adding a bottle...

DS is almost 6 months. He's had a few bottles of EBM, maybe 5? I love nursing him, but our nightly bedtime attempts take 2+ hours. DH gave bottles to our older 2, but it was formula. I tried pumping but I didn't respond well so it affected my supply, so I'm a little nervous of adding even just one bottle, even if I pump. DH has begged from the beginning but I kept saying no. Well, now I am just exhausted and wouldn't mind if he could take over bedtime and see if that helps a little. I know he's getting a good full belly when nursing though. I hear lots of swallowing and I'll hold him awhile when I think he's asleep but when I try to put him down, he wakes and cries. Even if I let him cry 10 minutes, he'll nurse again and get another let down.

If I started pumping every day in the morning after he nurses, would I eventually start being able to pump more? I've just never been consistent when I have pumped.

Any tips or ideas would be great! Thanks!

krispy79 09-15-2011 07:47 PM

I did this with my son and just pumped first thing in the am, then fed him. I was able to maintain my supply for a while like this but eventually I was unable to get a lot in the am. However, he was sttn so I was feeding less.
Good luck, I too am also considering this option.

Connor 09-15-2011 08:57 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by carolineb
DS is almost 6 months. He's had a few bottles of EBM, maybe 5? I love nursing him, but our nightly bedtime attempts take 2+ hours. DH gave bottles to our older 2, but it was formula. I tried pumping but I didn't respond well so it affected my supply, so I'm a little nervous of adding even just one bottle, even if I pump. DH has begged from the beginning but I kept saying no. Well, now I am just exhausted and wouldn't mind if he could take over bedtime and see if that helps a little. I know he's getting a good full belly when nursing though. I hear lots of swallowing and I'll hold him awhile when I think he's asleep but when I try to put him down, he wakes and cries. Even if I let him cry 10 minutes, he'll nurse again and get another let down.

If I started pumping every day in the morning after he nurses, would I eventually start being able to pump more? I've just never been consistent when I have pumped.

Any tips or ideas would be great! Thanks!

Is he STTN? Would you be pumping at night while DH gives a bottle? You could try it, but he may not go to sleep any easier/quicker. It's natural for babies to want to be close to their mothers. Have you thought about taking him to bed with you? Or taking the front off his crib and putting it up against the side of your bed?

carolineb 09-15-2011 10:28 PM

No he doesn't sttn. He wakes 2-3 hours after I get him down. After that I get in the guest bed with him and then I don't pay attention to how much he nurses. It seems like several times but I don't know!

I was thinking of pumping in the morning once then maybe twice at night if I could, maybe at 8 around when DH gives a bottle and then again around 10. I've just never been able to get much pumping at night.

You may be right that it won't help him to go to bed easier but at least DH could help. Right now if he tries to get ds after I've done a nursing marathon and he keeps waking up, ds won't have it. He just cries and cries. I would hope that if he started to give ds a bottle more regularly then he might be more comfortable with DH soothing him instead of just me being able to soothe him.

Oh, and we just don't have room in our bedroom to put the crib next to us. He's starting to get up on all fours so I'm afraid he might start crawling soon and crawl off a bed.

VeganCupcake 09-15-2011 10:51 PM

Re: thinking of adding a bottle...

I don't get as much when I pump in the evening, either. That's pretty normal. I have found, though, that my body knows my regular pumping times and I get pretty engorged right around then if for some reason I'm not able to pump. You might give it a try and see if it helps.

NewMommy6111 09-16-2011 02:05 PM

Re: thinking of adding a bottle...

I often have this problem too. I think it's because when I go to lay ds down, shifting from being on his side to on his back disturbs him.

Try nursing lying down. It might help.

But what do I know, I'm laying down with my son and he shows no signs of stopping. He's been latched for the last hour and a half. He thinks he can't nap without being latched the entire time.

Do you use a paci? You could switch from breast to paci once he seems to be asleep.

carolineb 09-16-2011 06:27 PM

Thanks all! Slight DH vent that he says he supports nursing but he's pressed so hard for "just one" bottle but he wanted it to be formula. I talked about how just one bottle can affect supply and how we saw how it did in the past. He's convinced that I am "making things harder" on myself by ebf because he believes that the reason ds is so attached to me and won't let anyone else hold him is because I'm ebf. We didn't experience this with our other 2 who were only ebf a few weeks then got 1 bottle a day but by 4.5 months were on all bottles.

He thinks that ds should be sleeping 10-12 hours now like the other 2 did. And he says they did because of formula.

He knows it bugs me when his mom talks bottles all the time so I don't know why he pushes it. And he's not the one who has to get up at night so why does he care if the baby is sttn? He's convinced I'm starting a bad habit by co-sleeping but I need to be able to function during the day with my others. We're both on board for hsing, but it's a big deal to him so I need to be able to have the energy for that.

Ds started sleeping 6-7 hours when he was 6 weeks old. That lasted until about 3-4 months when we went on vacation and it's been downhill since then. I think part of it might have been he had yeast in his ear and I didn't know it! I took him to the ped the other day and he gave us drops for it. Last night I let him cry some and he was asleep in 15 minutes around 8:40 and slept til 4:30!

He still struggles with napping but we'll get there! I've tried to tell him that I've talked to friends who have ebf more than one child and how one slept great and one didn't and I've known plenty of ff babies that hardly slept too.

It's just frustrating to hear him say he "supports" nursing but I hardly feel that way. If I said, "I decided I'm going to start weaning at 6 months" then he would be thrilled!

I'm so glad I don't have to pack bottles and water and formula everywhere I go. I've told him bottles wouldn't make things easier for me. His point is that I can't get a break because ds won't go into any nursery setting and he believes that if I would have done just one bottle then ds would happily go to the nursery. I'm sorry, but I'm not going to go to the expense of BUYING formula, dealing with packing, washing, keeping up with bottles just so ds will go into the nursery at church once a week and maybe a few days a week at the gym. And there's no guarantee that ds wouldn't be the same way even if he were 100% bottle fed. It may just be who he is.

I can look at my older kids now and certain traits help explain the way they were as babies.

I know it's a little frustrating for him that he doesn't really get snuggle time with the baby. He's tried to take naps with him but ds won't have it when he's tired he just wants me. He'll let DH hold him and run around while playing with the others. I guess he just misses that he can't help soothe or put him to sleep like he got to before. Ive offered to let him do baths and bedtime routine until it's time for me to nurse but he's not comfortable handling a slippery wet baby. I think once he can sit up alone he might be more comfortable with it.

Oh my I just realized how long this got! I'm NAK and ds is sleeping so what else can I do? Ha!