Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Gerber or Beechnut? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282215)

PinkSapphire87 09-20-2011 10:56 PM

Gerber or Beechnut?

WIC provides us with either Gerber or Beechnut food, which would you choose? I'm not sure if one is better than the other... What is your opinion? I would perfer organic, but obv wic won't pay for that, and it is very expensive.

nappymaven812 09-21-2011 12:07 AM

Re: Gerber or Beechnut?

I don't really know anything about Beechnut. I would go with Gerber, just because it's well known and has a good reputation as far as I've ever heard.

mommytoreanne 09-21-2011 10:46 AM

most stage 2 foods are the same unless it's organic.

SamanthaSews 09-21-2011 05:23 PM

I use Beechnut- while it isn't organic- it doesn't have additives like Gerber does. Beechnut is fruit or veggies & water & maybe ascorbic acid (vitamin c?). While Gerber has gelatin (?!?) & other preservatives. Just look at the ingredients list. Most of what Gerber adds their baby-food isn't necessary.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

krispy79 09-24-2011 08:13 PM

Beechnut, they seem so much simpler. Gerber just looks good because it's fancy and the shelves are full of 1000's of choices for gerber, that doesn't make it better imo

mibarra 09-24-2011 08:46 PM

For stage 1 foods its all puree and water, after that you start getting additives, so I'd go with beechnut. Also I wouldn't bother with meats, they all smell like catfood. And avoid 'dinner combos' like meats and veggies, they generally tend to have additives on the ones I've seen. :)

Wanderlust 09-25-2011 10:24 AM

My guys liked both brands of fruit. But would only eat the Beechnut veggies.

MommaMeano2 09-25-2011 06:50 PM

I haven't noticed a difference, but at my store, Beechnut has more varieties of foods to choose from versus what you can get from Gerber. I'm from Michigan and get WIC through that state, so that's based on what we are able to choose from (size-wise). My daughter will eat both kinds, but I usually buy Beechnut.

TwinKristi 09-25-2011 07:06 PM

I would buy whatever is on sale at the time or what you can get coupons for or whatever is the best price per ounce. From my memory of baby food, the things you can get like fruits and veggies with nothing added are just that, fruit or veggie with water and occasionally absorbic acid in the fruits.
The things that have gelatin in it and anything else are usually the mixes and things with added cereal, rice, yogurt, etc which you can't get through WIC anyway.

blessed22 09-25-2011 10:43 PM

I think the texture of Beechnut foods seem more realistic to homemade babyfood... (if that makes any sense.....) I buy both because Beechnut doesn't have all the things Gerber has in my store, nor does Gerber have all the things Beechnut has... BUT I think I like Beechnut better.

Clear as mud eh?