Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   14 months hardly eats or drinks (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282497)

mamamarisa 09-21-2011 12:54 PM

14 months hardly eats or drinks

My son drank only formula until 8 months then had a mix of formula and table food until his birthday when i took away formula. Hes always been a good drinker, not so much on the eating though. Now he isnt hardly eating or drinking anything at all. The pediatrician said to feed him more but he just doesnt eat what i give him. He likes fruits and veggiesbut nothing else. Wont drink anything but apple juice. Hes 22 lbs and 35 inches tall. Other than he wont eat or drink he is really healthy and happy. I might find him a new pediatrician because i juat dont feel right about how muchh he eats amd drinks

colin-mylilguy 09-22-2011 01:38 PM

Re: 14 months hardly eats or drinks

They make formula for "toddlers" and while I think some of it is marketing, I do think babies were meant to have a primarily liquid diet till around age 2 - 2.5 yrs. Maybe go back to letting him have about 20-25 oz of formula a day and see how that goes. I agree with you, it is worrisome that he isn't eating or drinking much... He needs something. You're so good to be concerned. I'm sure you'll find a solution! ;)

3littlebums 09-22-2011 03:59 PM

I agree that reintroducing formula could be helpful. My middle son just turned two and he was the same way at that age. He was (and still is) breastfed tho so I didn't think anything of it. You could also have a snack tray fully stocked and ready for him at all times so that he can munch on healthy bites all throughout the day.

colin-mylilguy 09-22-2011 07:29 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 3littlebums (Post 13802964)
I agree that reintroducing formula could be helpful. My middle son just turned two and he was the same way at that age. He was (and still is) breastfed tho so I didn't think anything of it. You could also have a snack tray fully stocked and ready for him at all times so that he can munch on healthy bites all throughout the day.

That's a great idea! Yeah, some toddlers just kinda "graze" all day but won't eat much at one sit down meal. Maybe try leaving a few things out that he can grab and munch when he feels like it.

mamamarisa 09-24-2011 04:51 PM

Thanks, ill that. Formula is kind of expensive though, we were getting it through wic when he was on it, is there another way i could get it cheap?

jamilynn84 09-28-2011 06:14 PM

I know it sounds horrible, but with the regular milk have you tried adding chocolate or strawberry syrup? If you can't afford the formula (it's expensive) maybe try that. I know WIC gives tons of milk. Remember that children don't starve themselves. And it is not bad if the things he'll eat are fruits and veggies. My 12 month old, while still nursing eats ALL day long, sometimes just a few bites but i always offer something on a general routine.

6:30 am nurse
7:30 breakfast: ie. cheerios and bananas or oatmeal & strawberries
9:30 am snack: usually fruit of some sort
11:30 lunch: diced chicken cubes & soft cooked veggies
12-1:30 nap
1:30 nurse
2:30 pm snack: usually fruit and pretzels
5:30 dinner: whatever we're having broken into pieces
7:30 before bed snack: usually popcorn with nutritional yeast on it

Now she still nurses once or twice at night too... but if you did something similar but offered milk or pediasure or something... when DS was a toddler he gave up on the high chair... we bought a small kids table (little tikes) and he was more inclined to sit there to eat.