Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   how long to ebf? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1282746)

NiNi 09-21-2011 07:48 PM

how long to ebf?

I want to ebf as long as possible. Im looking for experience, links, etc on how long is appropriate, before introducing any kinds of solids.

I know im going to have to explain to my pedi :banghead: so im looking for any info on it.

Thanks so much!

sent from my droid x...excuse all typos :)

colin-mylilguy 09-22-2011 01:25 PM

Re: how long to ebf?

I went through 3 Pediatricians before I landed on the one we go to now. They all disagreed with my choice to EBF for longer than 6 months. One tried to get me to start solids at 4 months. I did a lot of reading and I felt very comfortable with my choice. I've had LO's blood checked to make sure iron levels are normal (and they are, surprise, surprise!) and I've made a conscious effort to get enough sun exposure for vit D. We are in TX so we only need 15 minutes a week of facial sun exposure to get enough vit D, during the summer months. We get more than that and LO has a nice light tan to show for it. :giggle2: We get lots of comments on his "olive skin" - haha. You can research and find out what you need based on where you are.

Kellymom.com was where I got a lot of my info on EBF as well as pubmed. I think its worth looking into to see if its right for you and your baby.

My LO is 9 months, has barely had any solids (mostly just "tastes" foods) and is still EBF. We do "baby led solids" so we offer and if he wants to, he tries things. He's had a variety of foods but never "chowed down". He breastfeeds really well and he has stayed right on his growth curve from the beginning. When I talked to our current Pedi about it, he said "whatever you're doing is working great - I'd keep doing that". This was one of the many reasons I like him. He said "they eat solids when they are good and ready" which is how I feel. My babe is plump, healthy and happy. He'll eat solids when he wants to.

GL!

stevensmom 09-22-2011 01:27 PM

DD didn't start eating solids regularly until 11.5 months. At her 6mo appt I asked about starting solids and he said "nope, she gets all the nutrients she needs from you". So at 1 year she eats a little here and there (breakfast, lunch, dinner with us)...and nurses the rest of the time.

colin-mylilguy 09-22-2011 01:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom (Post 13801961)
DD didn't start eating solids regularly until 11.5 months. At her 6mo appt I asked about starting solids and he said "nope, she gets all the nutrients she needs from you". So at 1 year she eats a little here and there (breakfast, lunch, dinner with us)...and nurses the rest of the time.

Wow! Who is your Pedi? That's a really rare response - I'm so impressed. Clearly your doctor knows a thing or two about breastfeeding and babies. :thumbsup:

Most of mine have acted like I was feeding him sugar water by breastfeeding... ugh. Dummies.

3littlebums 09-22-2011 04:04 PM

I want a pedi like yours! Mine was the same way as colin-mylilguy's. Asa didn't sit down to an actual meal complete with a cup of his own watered down juice instead of a boob and bites until he was 14 1/2 months old. I had just started my 2nd trimester with my littlest guy so I had to actually push a little more solids on him or else he would've been happy with boobs and bites forever! :giggle2:

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy (Post 13801986)
Wow! Who is your Pedi? That's a really rare response - I'm so impressed. Clearly your doctor knows a thing or two about breastfeeding and babies. :thumbsup:

Most of mine have acted like I was feeding him sugar water by breastfeeding... ugh. Dummies.

tmwmommy 09-22-2011 04:32 PM

My dd was mostly ebf until one year. She had a few bites here and there after 6 months but didn't eat purees at all. Her dr was supportive - not that I needed her approval but was nice to have.

stevensmom 09-22-2011 04:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by colin-mylilguy (Post 13801986)

our pedi was my pedi growing up :giggle: and he had us start solids with DS at 6mo :giggle: why the change of heart? who knows...but dd and ds both were not starving! however with dd I believe my milk was a lot more richer than when I was bfing ds. She jumped from 6lbs 12oz to 14 lbs in 2 months.

colin-mylilguy 09-22-2011 07:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by stevensmom (Post 13803187)
our pedi was my pedi growing up :giggle: and he had us start solids with DS at 6mo :giggle: why the change of heart? who knows...but dd and ds both were not starving! however with dd I believe my milk was a lot more richer than when I was bfing ds. She jumped from 6lbs 12oz to 14 lbs in 2 months.

That's awesome!