Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   BLW and squeezy pouch babyfood... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1283252)

jamilynn84 09-22-2011 02:58 PM

BLW and squeezy pouch babyfood...

Would you still consider it BLW if you give the baby the pouch and they suck it down with no help from you at all. I got into a debate with another BLW mom today. And I think as long as I'm not spoon feeding the purees it counts as BLW. It may not be traditional BLW, but I think it still counts. Opinions?

anj 09-28-2011 06:08 PM

Re: BLW and squeezy pouch babyfood...

I think it counts. My six year old loves the pouches of applesauce in his lunch. They are identical to the baby food pouches except filled with applesauce and marketed to big kids. If it counts as him feeding himself when he eats those, then its BLW when your baby does the same.

I don't really believe in following a specific set of rules for any aspect of parenting though. So if its working for you, its all good. Call it BLW you want to!

mrspnut82 09-28-2011 06:14 PM

Are you talking about the little mesh thing you put fruit in and they hold it and suck on it? I think since they aren't really getting *solid food* out of it then it's not really BLW but I didn't write the book on BLW. Imo it's more giving them the actual food instead of letting them basically suck it into a puree.

reneaumommy 09-28-2011 06:22 PM

I don't think it counts as BLW. But, if it works keep doing it! BLW is about baby getting the textures and mushing the food themselves. It doesn't have to be all or nothing though!

willownz 09-28-2011 06:38 PM

I wouldn't count it. We do no purees at all.

anj 09-29-2011 12:24 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by willownz (Post 13842122)
I wouldn't count it. We do no purees at all.

I'm not being snarky- I'm honestly curious. :blush: What about foods that adults eat as purees? In our house we eat applesauce, fruit smoothies, hummus, and several types of pureed soups (like tomato and butternut squash). I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I wouldn't withhold those foods from my daughter simply because they are pureed. She eats "regular" food quite well, but since these foods are part of our diet, I would say they should be offered too.

jaelynsmommy61607 09-29-2011 12:48 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by anj

I'm not being snarky- I'm honestly curious. :blush: What about foods that adults eat as purees? In our house we eat applesauce, fruit smoothies, hummus, and several types of pureed soups (like tomato and butternut squash). I'm sure there are others, but those are the ones I can think of off the top of my head. I wouldn't withhold those foods from my daughter simply because they are pureed. She eats "regular" food quite well, but since these foods are part of our diet, I would say they should be offered too.

One major aspect of blw is not spoon feeding. While I'd give my son Apple sauce and mashed potatoes he had to feed him self. I wouldn't count a pouch as blw. They're sucking a puree out of a pouch. Blw(to me anyways) is about letting a child learn how to taste foods and get the feel for self feeding. It's also about not measuring food or worrying about how much or how little they eat. Eating out of a pouch is like a baby holding their own bottle imo. I want to also say if it works for you that's great. If you consider is blw :thumbsup: but I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't.

mrspnut82 09-29-2011 08:29 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 (Post 13843832)
One major aspect of blw is not spoon feeding. While I'd give my son Apple sauce and mashed potatoes he had to feed him self. I wouldn't count a pouch as blw. They're sucking a puree out of a pouch. Blw(to me anyways) is about letting a child learn how to taste foods and get the feel for self feeding. It's also about not measuring food or worrying about how much or how little they eat. Eating out of a pouch is like a baby holding their own bottle imo. I want to also say if it works for you that's great. If you consider is blw :thumbsup: but I wouldn't be surprised if most people don't.

yes because having it be sucked out of a pouch is the same to me as mashing it up.

anj 09-29-2011 09:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jaelynsmommy61607 (Post 13843832)

I see- its the delivery method not the food consistency you object to? That makes sense. I guess to me if its part of your child's overall diet, its still BLW. If you just fed pouch purees, I wouldn't consider it BLW, but if you gave baby one to eat on occasion, it still would be. We occasionally help baby eat pouch purees and help baby with a spoon for softer foods. I don't call it BLW though, I just call it feeding my baby. (Partly because no one I know in real life would know what BLW is!) :goodvibes: