Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Can i exclusivley breastfeed after baby was fed formula for two days in hospital? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285020)

Pookie00521 09-25-2011 09:07 PM

Can i exclusivley breastfeed after baby was fed formula for two days in hospital?

Baby was born on 9/24 and due to a fever could not room-in with me :( I have been giving her the breast every time they feed her. I am being released tomm can I just breastfeed or would I have to give her formula as well?

mibarra 09-25-2011 09:13 PM

Why give her formula unless you don't have enough milk. I can tell you from experience if you don't just go for it then there's a chance baby will refuse breast in favor of bottle. Did you have a fever or baby? Either way, unless a doc has instructed you not to it should be safe to nurse baby. And you need to start stimulating your supply!! I say nurse away! :)

donnyandmelissa 09-25-2011 09:14 PM

Re: Can i exclusivley breastfeed after baby was fed formula for two days in hospital?

How often are you breastfeeding? Hopefully it is as often as you can 1-2 hours 3 at the very most. You need to get your supply fully in & giving formula can mess that up. I would offer nothing but the breast even if your baby is a little fussy because your milk is not fully in. This happend to a friend of mine & she breastfeed just a little bit less each day and then she had to give up :( don't let this happen to you.

I just absolutly refused to give my son formula when they insisted.

Pookie00521 09-25-2011 09:21 PM

We both had fevers and I couldn't breastfeed her the first day. She pooped inside of me while I was in labor with her. I have been breastfeed every four hours while the nursery is open but from 9:00pm till 8:00am I can't because it's closed. She is taking the breast well but my milk hasn't come in yet but I have colostrum.

Nyomi&Jericho'sMommy 09-25-2011 09:37 PM

Re: Can i exclusivley breastfeed after baby was fed formula for two days in hospital?

I would stop the formula as soon as you leave. It does take a while for milk to come in, especially if you haven't been nursing regularly....but it will come in :) Don't lose faith! You and your baby were made for this, she will not need formula or any supplements for that matter, so long as you are breastfeeding. Keep up the good work!

doulamomma 09-25-2011 09:41 PM

You absolutely can breastfeed. If you cut out the formula and fed on demand your body will adjust and make enough milk. As long as baby is having enough wet and dirty diapers, theres no need to supplement

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos :)

bamababies 09-25-2011 10:14 PM

Yes offer the breast first. Is there any way you can pump to help build up your supply? When my second DD was born she had latch on issues so we had to supplement formula (while in the hospital). I would offer her the breast first and then offer her formula and while she was drinking the formula I would pump. Then the next feeding I would offer breast then the pumped breast milk then formula if needed. This will helped to build my supply and get baby used to breast and breast milk. In about a week I had enough breast milk I didn't need the formula anymore. Now I don't suppliment at all...she is strictly on the breast. Hope that helps!!

Just don't give up...breast milk is so good for them!!

lolis 09-25-2011 10:22 PM

YES!!!!

I did this. I breastfed the first day, and 1/2 breastfed and 1/2 formula fed the 2 and 3 days and from day 4 and on DD has been exclusively breastfed.

Find Support and you will be able to do it!

lolis 09-25-2011 10:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pookie00521 (Post 13822412)
We both had fevers and I couldn't breastfeed her the first day. She pooped inside of me while I was in labor with her. I have been breastfeed every four hours while the nursery is open but from 9:00pm till 8:00am I can't because it's closed. She is taking the breast well but my milk hasn't come in yet but I have colostrum.

Good job!!!I also humbly suggest pumping every few hours to stimulate milk production. Your hospital should have some available!

cacasey1981 09-25-2011 11:16 PM

Def increase the frequency - if you have access to an IBCLC or LC I would use them and their advice.