Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Boppy pillow or Brest Friend pillow? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285263)

MyKzooFamily 09-26-2011 11:33 AM

Boppy pillow or Brest Friend pillow?

I'm trying to figure out which pillow I should get. I had a horrible time BF'ing DS, but I gave up because I just didn't have support or anywhere to go with my questions. Now that I have been a member of DS, I am excited to hopefully exclusively BF this time around. :)

I used the boppy pillow with DS, but I always felt I needed an extra pillow. I have very small breasts, so they don't hang or aren't full enough to really reach him easily with just the boppy. I had to keep him very close to my chest, so using 2 regular pillows was easier than the boppy. But it will be harder to cart those around then a nursing pillow.

Is the Brest Friend pillow better for something like this? I really like that it has the back support as well, as I always wanted a pillow behind me. Maybe when we go see family, I could just ask to borrow lots of pillows? I'd love a nursing pillow, but it will be pointless to get one if it doesn't do what I need it to.

:headscratch:

love_cloth 09-26-2011 12:47 PM

I have nursed two children & tandem nursed. The boppy never was thick enough to support lo. I had a breastfriend but didn't use it. I thought it was even thinner. I received a more handmade version as a gift. It is super fluffy/thick. It worked great! It was bought in 2008 at a store in Rockford Michigan. I just did a quick search on etsy.com and see a lot of similar sized nursing pillows to my homemade one. HTH

MyKzooFamily 09-26-2011 12:49 PM

Re: Boppy pillow or Brest Friend pillow?

Rockford is kind of a drive for us (since we are in Battle Creek), but I am hoping to find something online. Thanks for the advice!! I will definitely check out etsy for bigger pillows. I do agree, they seemed very thin, especially when they are made to help support. I'd rather have a pillow too thick that I need to beat down some, then one that is too thin.

Thanks! :)

love_cloth 09-26-2011 02:51 PM

I am sure if you send a note to the seller on etsy.com they can better create a pillow for you. The size & if you want to have it overstuffed. Good luck!!

family_o_gingers 09-26-2011 03:14 PM

I used the boppy with DD1 and had issues with the no back support and always feeling like I needed to prop her up more. I was skeptical about the Breastfriend pillow but my friend bought one for me and I love it! It supports my DD2 who weighs over 10lbs at 1 month wonderfully, and the back support is great!! I would definitely recommend the breast friend...also, because it has the clip on it you can attach it as high or as low as you need to.

creative*genius 09-26-2011 06:39 PM

I've used both. I really liked the My Brest Friend with DD. The first one I had fell apart and I had to get a second one! The boppy curves down on the sides, so I felt like DD was falling into me and never could get a comfortable position with it. DD now uses it as her main pillow! rotfl! Seriously - she LOVES it! So, at least I'm getting my money out of that! lol!

I am nursing #2 and this time around I just use blankets and regular bed pillows. He's 5 months old now. I find that if I stack two bed pillows next to me on the couch I can do football nurse pretty easily. Or if I stack them and pull the top one a little closer or a little across me I can do the cradle position without using my hands!

If I am in an arm chair I can use one pillow and position it at an angle to nurse.

And I have even used throw blankets to make a next for him at other people's houses. And I have a throw blanket I keep in the car so I can easily nurse him in the car. When I am in public, if I have to nurse him in a dressing room I usually sit in the floor with my knees bent and prop my diaper bag under his head in the cradle position.

When he was littler, before he had good head support, I used to use a hand towel or receiving blanket for extra support or leverage under his head - to get the right position.

So, I am enjoying nursing much more this time around partly because I have learned to nurse anywhere and don't worry about what I will do if he needs to nurse while we are out and about, and I don't have to lug that giant brest friend pillow with me everywhere we go! There's enough stuff you need to bring when traveling with a baby, so that was a welcome subtraction to the list! ;D

BTW - some mamas can do the walk around while you nurse. I'm not one of them. I am very large chested and it is way to awkward to manage that. However, if I were smaller breasted I would probably try that this time around, too!

Best of luck!