Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Due In June (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=141)
-   -   Still nursing? Ideas for keeping supply up please (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1285965)

larken 09-27-2011 02:06 PM

Still nursing? Ideas for keeping supply up please

DD is 21 months and still nurses a LOT! I'm hoping we can make it through the pregnancy & tandem nurse, but I'm worried about losing my milk early on. I've been eating more and drinking tons of water...is there anything else safe that I can do to boost milk production? Is Fenugreek safe during pregnancy and will it even make a difference?

ETA- Apparently Fenugreek is not okay to take while pregnant :(

jenni_michelle 09-27-2011 02:29 PM

Re: Still nursing? Ideas for keeping supply up please

Yep, all galactagogues are a no-no during pregnancy. When I was breastfeeding oatmeal worked really well to boost my supply. Water till you think your drowning LOL. Here is an awesome resource... http://www.kellymom.com/bf/tandem/index.html

graceworks 09-27-2011 03:00 PM

I think there are a bunch of us still nursing - I know at least 4 are from the TTC while BFing thread so we're still BFing.

I've been drinking a ton of water but I really think my supply is dropping :( Maybe I will try the oatmeal thing.

Hope others can chime in with more tips!

lemurkinsmommy 09-27-2011 04:11 PM

I'll chime in just to second what everyone else has said, lots of water and oatmeal. We are still nursing as well but we're also very close to weaning (we have 3 nursing sessions in a 24 hour period right now) so I'm not trying to up my supply, I'm just going to let things do what they do and go with it.

larken 09-27-2011 04:45 PM

This might be silly, but does it have to be the "old-fashioned" oats or will instant work?

lemurkinsmommy 09-27-2011 05:59 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by larken (Post 13834417)
This might be silly, but does it have to be the "old-fashioned" oats or will instant work?

I believe it has to be the steel cut oats, for some reason the instant oats don't do the job.

groovymum 09-28-2011 12:09 AM

It sounds like you are doing everything right. Its so hard to tell...each nurser and pregnancy is different. I got preg with my second when my daughter was 17 months. She was a heavy nurser, but by 9 weeks she was done. I think it was a combo of diff taste/less milk. My second baby is 21 months also, and I'm in the same boat as you. I can already tell my milk production has decreased. I spent my first 24 hours away form her since she was born on sat night, and my boobs werent even hard. Very strange she is my nursing champ. Honestly though we will go until I feel we need to end. ( Last time I was so exausted and I felt like my body was on over-drive)I think some nursers are more sensitive to the changes that pregnancy does to your milk. I have one friend who nursed until 6 months preg, then stopped and tanemed agian after baby was born.
If you take care of yourself, which it def sounds like you are..that should make you much more succesful. mothers milk tea maybe?

larken 09-28-2011 01:47 AM

Thank you ladies! I have been chugging water the past few days. I'm peeing 6 times an hour! It will be up to DD if we keep going. I hope so & she hasn't really been nursing any less yet so FX!

Casie629 09-28-2011 08:26 AM

Some babies don't care if your supply drops and will keep dry nursing. Just depends in the kid.

lovermuffin 10-10-2011 12:25 PM

Still BF my soon to be 1 year old and I am hoping to keep nursing unless she contines to BITE off my nipple. OUCHIE!!!!