Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community -

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - (
-   Birth Stories and Announcements (
-   -   <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3 (

Ready2Bmommy 09-28-2011 10:13 PM

<3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
As Ella Kate’s due drew nearer and nearer, I grew more and more exhausted from false labor and general discomfort. On Monday, September 19th, I saw Dr. Moore for a regular OB visit. She determined that I was 4 centimeters dilated and 60% effaced. Baby Ella was in position and ready for birth. Now if only my body would go into labor. Dr. Moore and I discussed the success rates for stripping membranes as a form of sort of inducing labor. There really isn’t any research to prove that it helps, but being as close to my due date as I was, the risks were minimal as well. So, she stripped my membranes. Some people say this is very painful, but honestly, for me, it wasn’t any more uncomfortable than a regular exam.

Contractions came more frequently and were much more like labor contractions than Braxton Hicks contractions after she did the procedure, but still nothing regular progressed. On Tuesday night, I lost my mucous plug. I just knew that I’d go into labor soon. I had plenty of contractions that evening and went to sleep ready to be awoken by contractions that meant head to the hospital, but that was a no go.

On Wednesday, I decided I was giving up. She’d come when she wanted, but if I kept thinking every day was the day, I was going to wear myself out and get very frustrated. Around 7 p.m., I begin having contractions that were more frequent and uncomfortable, but nothing alarming. We ate supper, sent Emmitt to bed, and watched TV. For most of the evening, my contractions were about 8 minutes apart, but before bed, they slowed to about 15 minutes apart. So, I went to sleep around 10:30 knowing it was another night of false labor.

Nearly every hour I was waking up from a contraction, but they weren’t coming regularly enough that I couldn’t go back to sleep. A little after a.m., I awoke with a few contractions and decided to stay up a while and time them. The first 2 were 8 minutes apart, then 7 minutes apart. Wes was sleeping upstairs, and I was on the couch so at 3:00 a.m. I called his cell phone. He immediately asked, “Is it time?” I said no, but that I would like for him to come downstairs with me for a little while. I proceeded to have contractions 6 minutes apart, then 5 minutes apart, then 2 that were 4 minutes apart. At this point, I said that I thought it was time.

I told him to get himself ready fast and get Emmitt in the truck. I grabbed everything that I saw lying around that we needed to take and started putting in the truck. I also called Mom and Dad to let them know that we were leaving for the hospital. The contractions were still coming regularly and about every 4 minutes. I was starting to get anxious and excited. After 3 weeks of false labor, it finally was the real thing!!!

Wes got Emmitt, all of his pacis, stuffed animals, and a blanket and loaded him into the carseat (we were praying he would ride well since I was in active labor). Emmitt asked, “Mama, Daddy taking Emmitt?” Wes told him that of course we were taking him; we wouldn’t leave him. We were taking him to see Grandma-Pawpaw and we were going to get Baby Ella. As we pulled out of the driveway at 3:30 a.m., Emmitt was counting to 10, which made me laugh because I felt like he was coaching for me.

I called the hospital to let them know that we were on our way in so they could pull my chart and be ready for us. I told Wes after I called that I should have let him do it. I didn’t think they believed me that I was in labor. We got to the hospital around 4:00 a.m. It would have taken longer, but Wes drove 65-70 mph with the flashers on all the way to Owensboro. I wasn’t hurting bad enough for him to do this, but we were afraid that things would pick up any minute.

We walked into labor and delivery and were taken to triage. The nurse said that they would monitor me for a brief period to see if I was actually in labor. I wanted to laugh at this; I was in labor! They monitored Ella’s heart rate and my contractions. They did admitting paperwork. At one point the nurse needed me to sign paperwork and was going to wait until a contraction was over. I told her it was okay. I may as well have something to do to keep my mind off of things. The nurse who had answered the phone said that she wasn’t sure I was actually in labor because I was so calm and collected on the phone, which was exactly what I suspected.

At 4:30 a.m., the nurse checked me to see if I had made any progress during this early stage of labor. I was 6 centimeters already. Finally, at 5:05 a.m., they got us into a labor and delivery room. The nurse asked if I wanted a wheelchair, but I said I would prefer to walk to keep things moving. I labored in sitting up in the bed for a while, and Wes and I watched a little CMT. Mom got there, and we talked while I was laboring. Ella’s heart rate began to decelerate after each contraction. The nurse had me lie on my left side to see if that would help. She also asked if she could check me again. She said that often when the baby is descending into the birth canal, the cord can become compressed and cause the decelerations. When she checked me at 5:50 a.m., she asked if the baby’s head had been down at my last appointment. I told her it had. She said that because my amniotic sac was bulging, she couldn’t tell exactly what was going on. She called for another nurse (Mandy) to check me. Mandy said that baby was head down, and that I was 8 centimeters.

The whole process up to this point was completely different than Emmitt’s labor. Until this point, I was able to talk between contractions. I was getting a decent break between them. I think I was even talking during contractions. Since was amniotic sac was still intact, it was nothing like Emmitt’s labor. With him, I was contracting what seemed to be constantly, but my water had been broken from 4 centimeters on.

Mom asked the nurse what time Dr. Moore usually came in. When the nurse said 7:30, Wes and I laughed. We informed the nurse that with Emmitt, I went from 8 centimeters to delivered in about 50 minutes. She then called Dr. Moore to let her know my progress and remind her of my quick first delivery. Dr. Moore checked in with us at 6:30 a.m.

At 6:40 a.m., I asked if it was possible for them to bring the squatting bar in for me to use laboring and because I wanted to try to use it to push. At 6:50 a.m., I conveyed that I was feeling ready to push, so Wes told the nurse. They brought in all the supplies for delivery (6:52), and Dr. Moore checked me again (6:55). She said I still had a little cervix left.

The next hour—transition—was definitely the hardest for me.
7:00 a.m.- Wes was standing arm’s length away from me with his arm on the squatting bar. I said, “Get out of my face.” He didn’t move, so I repeated myself, “I said, ‘get out of my face.’”
7:05 a.m.- Wes asked if I needed anything. I replied, “No, shut up!”
7:15 a.m.- Wes and Mom were across the room whispering, and I said, “Ya’ll stop talking.”
7:25 a.m.- Nurse checked me again, and I still had a lip of my cervix left to go.
7:30 a.m.- With the back of the bed sitting straight up, I turned backwards on the bed on my knees to try to labor in a more comfortable position.
7:31 a.m.- Wes asked if I needed anything, and I said, “No, leave me alone.”
7:45 a.m.- I drank a drink of a Pepsi that Mom snuck into labor and delivery.
7:46 a.m.- I said, “I am done.”

Sometime shortly after all of that, I told them all that I felt like pushing. I got up to a squatting position to lean on the squatting bar. The nurse said that Dr. Moore said it was okay for me to start pushing. I don’t know how long, I pushed except that it was less than 20 minutes. Wes thinks it was around 5 minutes. I had asked in my birth plan that no one count during the pushing, and it was so nice that they didn’t. I really liked being able to push as I felt like I needed to. As she was crowning, it hurt so bad to push, but it also hurt so bad not to push that I just kept pushing. In this process, Dr. Moore came in and told the nurses, “Get me some gloves.” She rushed to the foot of the bed and dropped one glove in the process. Since she didn’t have time to go get another one herself, she told the nurse to get her another one. The nurse helped her get it on. Wes said she was just squatting at the foot of the bed.

At 8:05 a.m., my water broke while pushing. Almost instantly, Ella’s head was delivered. Dr. Moore told me to push again to get her shoulders out. That part was much easier. At 8:07 a.m., Ellen Kate Meserve was born into the world. It was amazing looking down seeing my beautiful baby girl that I had just given life to. No more than a second old, there she was. I was in love. Wes and the nurse helped me get off my feet and into a seated position, and Dr. Moore put her in my arms, cord still attached. Wes cut the cord (8:08). Wes said he finally got to touch her at 8:12 a.m.

I had asked not to be given Pitocin to help with the placenta delivery, so I didn’t know how long to expect before it would be delivered. While I don’t know the time, I know it was painless and only a few minutes later. Even though I had birth upright which is supposed to reduce the likelihood of tearing, I did have second degree tearing. Dr. Moore gave local anesthesia and repaired the tear. After I had held her for a while, Ella was administered her eye ointment and Vitamin K shot. We refused the Hepatitis B shot for her at that point. Ella was weighed and measured in our room, 8 pounds 2 ounces and 19.5 inches long. We asked that Ella not be bathed in the nursery; we would bathe her on our own later. Ella took right to nursing as soon as she was back in my arms.

After the birth, I overheard one of the nurses say, “That was awesome!” I tend to agree. I felt so aware, so in tune with what was happening with my body and my baby. It was amazing to me how the love just swept over me as soon as I saw Little Ella Kate.

me_just_me 09-28-2011 10:51 PM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
Hadley - Congratulations!!! I loved reading your birth story! I'm so happy that everything went so perfectly for you!

fluffymailaholic 09-28-2011 11:02 PM

What a beautiful story! Reading these stories makes me want to go unmedicated for baby #2 one day!

ddcmommy 09-28-2011 11:26 PM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
Amazing birth story!

rainydaysunshine 09-29-2011 03:53 AM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
Great job, mama! Thanks for sharing :)

Mpierce 09-29-2011 06:32 AM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
That's so awesome! Congrats and I'm so glad it went perfectly for you and Ella both! <3

joyful mother 09-29-2011 08:48 AM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
Loved your story, Hadley! And so excited we all got to meet her finally even if it was only thru pictures.

hlstevens 09-29-2011 09:19 AM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
Hadley, what a beautiful birth!! I have tears in my eyes and a smile on my face, I'm so happy Ella came into this world as she did, great job!!

sunnybunny0726 09-29-2011 10:50 AM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
Great birth story!! Congratulations!!!

meeshkasheeba 09-29-2011 01:29 PM

Re: <3 Ella Kate's Beautiful Birth <3
Congrats Hadley, that is a great story.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 03:18 PM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.