Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   apnea monitor families *pic on pg 2* (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1287157)

Lovely Momma 09-29-2011 02:57 PM

apnea monitor families *pic on pg 2*

our now 8mos old baby is on an apnea monitor, im interested to know what do you do with the wires? I have tried pulling them forward and out the front of baby's clothes, ive tried pulling them out the top of his clothes behind his neck but i was wondering where everyone has theirs. His skin is also very sensitive, do you find the band breaks out their skin? the paddles under his arms also lead to irritation and raw spots in the crease of his armpit. I have resorted to having him wear the monitor only when hes sleeping to try to give his skin a rest but there must be other things to do because hes supposed to be on it 24/7, maybe covering the band? making my own? i know the paddles have to make direct contact and are what they are i just was wondering what everyone else finds helpful...

if you dont mind sharing, what are your machines parameters set at? My son has gone as low as zero bpm for 3 seconds, a few under 60bpm but lingers a great deal of time in the low 70s while sleeping. his machine was set at low/70 high/220 and respiration's at 20secs but it went off 44xs in two nights which was INSANE! They lowered the parameters to 60 but it kinda stresses me out to think hes going so low not to mention the fact he is hard to stimulate even in the 70s .... I have dealt with OSA before but never an apnea monitor.. were trying to find out whats going on (besides bradycardia) so were unsure how long hes going to be on the monitor or what his final diagnosis will be.

http://farm7.static.flickr.com/6177/...684d55be_m.jpg

mommyria2 09-30-2011 01:24 PM

Re: apnea monitor families

We brought home our apnea monitor when ds came home from the nicu, but honestly it didin't last that long. Those things are so obnoxious - and apnea/bradycardia wasn't my son's issue, his problem was with his blood oxygen levels. Anyway, we would always have the wires go out the bottom of his button up sleepers. That's pretty much all he wore in those days. I don't know anything about the settings so I'm no use there. We also didn't have a monitor with a band, we just had sticky leads that were not very sticky at all or they would stick to his clothes instead of skin. The only reason the monitor ever went off was when the leads came off.

Lovely Momma 09-30-2011 05:33 PM

ugh!! the sticky ones would be ANNOYING! he has 10 leads (in addition to his apnea monitor) for a more specialized heart monitor for 24 hrs... sooo our level of annoyance just went even higher :banghead: now i have to keep all these wires straight and carry around two boxes :banghead: i tried washing the band and it didnt help with the irritation at all... pretty sure we are just gonna have to deal with it i just feel bad for his skin its sooo sensitive and irritated. glad to hear your son didnt have to stay on it for long...

eandgmom 11-21-2011 09:57 PM

For the pad, I took a thin piece of bamboo jersey material, and made a 'liner.' I cut small slits so the sensors/plastic pieces would still have contact on the skin, but so the foam wouldn't. Also, I would cut small slits in the side of his onesies for wires.

Lovely Momma 11-22-2011 01:14 PM

great ideas but you actually cut holes in all his clothes?

eta: maybe i could do button holes?

eandgmom 11-22-2011 09:28 PM

I would zigzag around the holes so they wouldn't fray, but he was monitored 24/7 and had/has a feeding tube in. Ruining clothes was the last thing we worried about.

eandgmom 11-22-2011 09:31 PM

I would recommend cutting 1 or 2 onesies that you don't care about to see if it works for you. Also, you can tape all the wires to each other so you only have one bundle to deal with.

Lovely Momma 11-22-2011 09:36 PM

that makes far more sense... our little dude is only monitored at night, even if i did just a few of his jammies that would work. I did tie them behind his back (belly sleeper) to help keep him from getting wound up in them. im sorry you have to deal with a bunch of wires/monitoring ((hugs))

eandgmom 11-22-2011 10:12 PM

Thanks. Gratefully we have finally graduated from the apnea monitor. *YAY* They are worth it all, aren't they. I just expect my son to pay for my hearing aid when we realize that his monitor's false alarms caused me to go deaf. ;-)

Lovely Momma 11-22-2011 10:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by eandgmom (Post 14175779)
Thanks. Gratefully we have finally graduated from the apnea monitor. *YAY* They are worth it all, aren't they. I just expect my son to pay for my hearing aid when we realize that his monitor's false alarms caused me to go deaf. ;-)

UGH those false alarms are the worse!! instant heart attack!!

glad to hear your little dude graduated from his!!