Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Inappropriate place to NIP? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=128747)

raelynn 04-11-2007 11:49 AM

Inappropriate place to NIP?

We were at the bank yesterday morning for an appointment. Erik was super hungry, and I managed to keep him happy until after the appointment was over, and then I went out to the waiting area in the bank to feed him. DH actually told me that I should go out into the van to feed him because it wasn't appropriate to feed him right then and there. It was snowing/raining outside, and cold, and it's a pain in the BUTT to feed him in the van because I have to climb into the backseat, take off my winter jacket etc, and I could care less what the people at the bank thought of me feeding my child there. They're making thousands off us in interest on our mortgage, they can darn well deal with it if they have a problem (which they didn't).

So I was annoyed with DH for telling me it was inappropriate. He's always been on board with breastfeeding, so I was kind of hurt. :(

I guess my question is, would you have fed your hungry baby right then and there, or put him back in his car seat, carried him out to the vehicle and done it there?

moonphishers 04-11-2007 11:54 AM

Re: Inappropriate place to NIP?

I do not see a problem with what you did. Especially since it was inclement weather outside!!! Kick your DH in the bootie for that one ;) Honestly - I would have done it (and have ;) ) and I would ask DH calmly - "so hey" how come you thought it to be inappropriate for me to nurse in the bank?"

I'd be curious to see what he says.

Shyla 04-11-2007 11:55 AM

It depends to be honest. If it was weather like that I would nurse in the bank. I don't like to expose myself so I cover up when out in public but ds hates to be covered so I prefer to nurse in my van where I dont feel like everyone is staring at me :) I think you should've nursed him in the bank :2cents: Sry your dh wasn't more supportive :hugs:

Calideedle 04-11-2007 11:56 AM

Why would the bank be inappropriate? I'd smack my DH for that, lol! I have nursed in a Bank and find it just as appropriate as any other place .... when your DC is hungrey ALL places are perfect for NIPing!

Namaste 04-11-2007 11:57 AM

I always used a nursing cover or was very discrete, so I would nurse anywhere. Hugs to you.

jenncatsmeow 04-11-2007 11:57 AM

I nurse where ever I am......if my dd is hungry, she is allowed to eat.

raelynn 04-11-2007 12:04 PM

I did ask him why he thought it was inappropriate, and he replied "I just don't see why you couldn't have fed him in the van." I had a big flannel receiving blanket over us, no one saw anything (fortunately DS doesn't mind being covered up, it makes it easier).

homebirthmom 04-11-2007 12:08 PM

I've done both. when the babies are little I nurse anywhere. If they are the type that will leave my shirt down, I would shop and nurse at the same time. but with this baby he's a squirmer so I have to do it in private/quite place. no way the bank would work now... but who cares. a baby should eat when he/she is hungry. you did fine :goodvibes:

Shyla 04-11-2007 12:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by raelynn (Post 945981)
I did ask him why he thought it was inappropriate, and he replied "I just don't see why you couldn't have fed him in the van." I had a big flannel receiving blanket over us, no one saw anything (fortunately DS doesn't mind being covered up, it makes it easier).

I don't see why you shouldnt have nursed him there in the bank.:headscratch: I could almost understand if he didn't want other ppl to see your boobs but you were covered so I don't get it.

My ds is awful when it comes to being covered he will scream and yell. I cant even cover my boob at all he gets sooo mad :giggle: He actually will push my shirt all the way up so my whole boob is exposed :blush: My other children had no problem with being covered.

I think you should talk to him about it and let him know how it offended you. Be open to his response. He may just feel really uncomfortable with the idea of other ppl watching you nurse (covered or not) You might want to explain to him more why you wanted to nurse in the bank and not the van. For example "Honey I really didnt want to go out in the freezing van, take off my coat and freeze to feed the baby when without exposing myself I could nurse him in the bank where I didn't think anyone would even notice and we could all stay warm and comfortable" Something like that mabey. I know there are times I have to explain things to dh that I think he should just get but he doesn't. :hugs:

marymom 04-11-2007 12:32 PM

i would've nursed right then and there. shame on your dh!!! :hugs: