Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Gagging while introducing solids... (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1289405)

Mella622 10-03-2011 10:00 PM

Gagging while introducing solids...

My daughter is 5 months, 1 week and she is not into solids at all. She gags, refuses the spoon, etc. Our ped said to start foods at 5 months and wants her to have tried several by her 6 month appt but I just can't get her interested. Should we just wait a few weeks and try again then, or keep at it every day and hope she gets the hang of it?

Mara'sMommy 10-03-2011 10:06 PM

She's probably not ready. I would wait until I noticed her showing signs of being ready. If you don't want to tell your ped, just tell him she's eating. "yeah, she's had blah blah". Most pediatricians push solids way too soon.

And for the gagging, it's pretty normal at first (unless she's gagging as soon as you put the food in her mouth). If I remember correctly, the gag reflex on babies is higher up on the tongue then adults. It's part of learning how to eat, so is choking. I would give it a little while longer.

Kätzchen 10-03-2011 10:25 PM

Five months!? I'd hold off, that seems too early.

Welcome baby Edeltraud! 27-7-2011 Von meinem iPhone gesendet.

creative*genius 10-03-2011 10:27 PM

Re: Gagging while introducing solids...

What are you giving her? If it's the rice cereal - that would make me gag, too! It's awful! I gave my DS bananas for fun this week and he LOVED it. He was grabbing the spoon and pulling it toward his mouth! Most of it was drooling down his face, but that's fine,. I was just giving him an experience to get used to what to do with food in his mouth.

Is your Dr. telling you to intro solids because she is underweight? Or just because? If you are not concerned about her growth-wise and she is doing well nursing or taking bottles, then there's no need for her to do solids at 5 months. I'm actually not planning to give DS anything else until after 6 mos. (I gave him the bananas at dinner 3 nights) and maybe longer if I can help it.

If she's gagging no matter what you give her then she's probably not ready. Better for her and you if you wait. ;)

themrshunt 10-03-2011 10:29 PM

What the pp's said. I would wait unless there were extenuating circumstances.

Typing on an iPad is challenging. Please excuse the typos.

cacasey1981 10-03-2011 11:03 PM

There are new studies showing that the early introduction of solids increases a child's risk of obesity down the line. Follow your lo's lead - you know her much better than your Dr does.

mookie 10-03-2011 11:12 PM

Completely agree with previous posts, too soon.

FWIW, my least picky eater is the baby that ate solids the latest, and was never served baby cereal or baby food. I am a huge fan of BLW!

Mella622 10-04-2011 09:02 AM

Thanks all - I think we'll wait a week or so and then try again and see if there's interest. I'll let her tell me what she wants to do, not the ped. She is ebf and gaining weight just fine. I said, I guess my milk just tastes better than all that food :)

mommaof3luv 12-01-2012 09:47 AM

My daughter did this too.

mommaof3luv 12-01-2012 09:47 AM

We decided to wait a few weeks and she did fine later on.