Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Which side did I use last??? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12895)

Manna00 06-08-2006 10:35 PM

Which side did I use last???

Hi mamas... I just got back from Birthing class--this one was all about breastfeeding! I'm so excited--my day is almost here to give it a go! ANNND... I knew a TON of answers because of you ladies on this forum! Thanks!

The lactition brought up the point that she could never remember which breast she had nursed with last... but it didn't matter much because her child would really only nurse from one side. She asked us if we had heard about the "safety pin" technique to remind you which side to use next--but she could never remember if the safety pin meant "Start on this side" or "I ended on this side"....

I have some hemp reusable breast pads (which she highly recommended... along with cloth diapering! She said that with disposables you can't really tell how much baby wets...so you can't really tell how well baby is being fed. Rock on.) that I plan on using. I'm seriously considering putting a green dot of something (fabric paint.. anything!) on half of the pads to give me the green light to use "that side" or "this side". I know it's not terribly critical... just doing some brainstorming.

So... how do you remember which side to start off with? Any cool tips... other than playing red light, green light with boobies! :)

bfoster2000 06-08-2006 11:14 PM

Re: Which side did I use last???

Well, maybe it's just me but I never really kept track. DJ only ever took one side at a time so I fed on the side that was full. Or the side that was more convenient for whatever I was doing.

Because of latch issues, I exclusively pumped in the beginning so he didn't start nursing at all until he was about 7 weeks old. I had such severe oversupply issues by that time (I had given up on him ever being able to nurse so I didn't realize it was a problem that I was pumping 2-3 times as much as he was eating in a day!) that in order to get it under control, I usually nursed on one side all day and the other side all night. Once we got my supply regulated, I just did whatever worked at the moment. He grew like a weed and kept it up until we mutually decided we were done at around 19 months (when I was 4 months pregnant) so I guess it worked for us.

Is it really that big a deal to keep track of which side? I hear people talk about this all the time and have seen all sorts of tricks and gadgets...does it really matter? I mean, I guess I can see that if you *always* neglect one side or the other you may wind up lopsided, but even when I was exclusively pumping and using the dual pump so both sides were getting the same treatment all the time, one side was always a little bigger than the other. Every now and then, I'd favor the small side for a while to try and even things out but it usually backfired and I just wound up lopsided the other way! The ladies on the other breastfeeding board I used to go to all said the same thing, that no matter how careful they were they always wound up lopsided so I figured that was normal.

Anybody seen these: http://www.milkbands.com/? That seems WAY too complicated for me...if you have to keep track of all that, it kind of takes the simplicity out of bf! Actually, somebody remind me of this in a couple of weeks when I'm nursing a newborn for the first time and totally stressing about it! Sometimes I think I actually got lucky with DJ not nursing when he was first born...at least I always knew exactly what he was getting.

Lucky Child 06-08-2006 11:18 PM

For me I jsut feel which breast is more full and then use that one... kwim? I never have had a problem figuring out which side to use.

CMamma 06-08-2006 11:22 PM

I used a braclet. I put it on whichever hand that the boob I needed to feed on next was on... did I make sense? So like if it was on my right hand, then I put DS on my right boobie... and RIGHT THEN while he was eating, I would switch it to the other boob. That way I didn't forget :)

Samantha 06-08-2006 11:24 PM

Lets see...with DS I only used one nursing pad at a time (he only took one side at a time) so I always knew which sides turn, becasue it was the side with the nursing pad.

With DD I never really kept track. I guess I guessed (I didnt use nursing pads with her) For a while I used a little bracelet and I put it on the side I last nursed on. But most of the time I would just feel the boobs and pick the one that felt the heaviest.

aschrimp 06-08-2006 11:29 PM

I made a bracelet, but only used it for about a week, and kept forgetting to switch sides until way after he nursed.
I find myself squeezing my breasts real quick before I feed ds, and using whichever one feels fuller or heavier first. Occasionally he will eat more on the second side, so it actually works a little better this way...and I don't have to remember to do anything.

Manna00 06-08-2006 11:33 PM

Good ideas, mamas! Those milk bracelet things look waaaay too complicated for me! Man.. I wish I still remembered how to make those kickin' "friendship bracelets"... or a cool hemp bracelet...

I kind of figured that it would be one of those "well... pick up your boob and use the heavy one" kind of things--but if you've never done it before.. it's hard to think that's even an option! ANNND... it's cool to hear the different techniques people use!

Thanks mamas... any more ideas??

betty_joanne 06-08-2006 11:56 PM

I use whichever one is bigger/heavier if i have forgotten. If both are the same and i can't remember i just pick one or nurse half/half and I don't worry about it.
Her favorite is my right boob.

beenwaitingalongtime 06-09-2006 12:14 AM

I squeeze and use the harder/heavier one, too. In fact, DH can LOOK at my BBs and know which one is to be used next--the one that looks like it's got an implant in it wins! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

png_lovebirds 06-09-2006 03:53 AM

I have NO tip b/c I am one of those people!! Then I spend 5 min poking each boob to see which one feels more full!!! hahahahah The only thing that kinda works for me is trying to remember which way his head was pointing....for some reason that helps me!!