Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Early Arrivals (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=210)
-   -   Anybody collect SSI for their preemies? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1290068)

DommysMommy 10-05-2011 01:46 AM

Anybody collect SSI for their preemies?

Cameron qualified for SSI when he was born based on his weight and my income. He just had his birthday last month, and I was wondering if anyone knew when the checks would stop coming. He has no health problems to speak of, and I'm worried that if they keep paying us, they'll make us pay it back. I haven't received anything in the mail asking for a health eval or anything, but I'm not sure if I'm just supposed to supply one, or wait to hear something.
Anyone have any experience in this?

mmmommy 10-05-2011 03:01 AM

Not me.

But my childhood best friend's youngest daughter was born at 31 weeks, weighing 2 lbs 6 oz, in June 2010 and she gets SSI for her.

I think the child receives the money until they're 3, if I'm remembering what my friend told me correctly.

3 ladybugs 10-05-2011 06:33 AM

Re: Anybody collect SSI for their preemies?

I can't be of much help. I collected it on my dd when she was in the hospital. She ended up dying at 5 months and we told them right away that she did die and they didn't make us pay back the $200 that they gave us (which was laughable because parking for 2 days was more then they would give us for the month... but at least it was something).

gghmommy 10-05-2011 06:44 AM

My LO just turned 10 months, so I'd love to know the answer. I was told it would only be available until 1 year of age. I'm sure it's something that varies state to state. Kkeep us updated!

newtwinmom 10-06-2011 07:56 AM

We auto qualified for the boys because they were under 2lbs but because of our income, the checks stopped as soon as they came home. We were warned by our social worker to nag them until they stopped sending them and it literally took like five phone calls notifying them of their discharge before the checks stopped. By that time we had received like $240 we shouldn't have and we did have to pay it back.

luvsviola 10-07-2011 09:09 PM

My DFS gets it--he was a 34 weeker, but he has continuing needs (no oral feeds).

triplet-momma 10-08-2011 02:59 PM

We continued to receive it until the boys had to re-qualify at 3 years of age. Once they were discharged, the amount received was based on income, # of people in the family, and how many were on SSI. And yes, if they pay you incorrectly, you will have to return it.

vmomma 10-08-2011 03:12 PM

Violet was 1# 10 oz's and receives SSI. I was told she will be evaluated at age 3 to determine if she still qualifies....she won't. They overpaid me almost 3,000 over a year and I'm now having to pay it back :(