Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   Should I stick with what I know? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1290708)

3Munchkins1togrow 10-06-2011 09:17 AM

Should I stick with what I know?

I would love some opinions on the Potty Training situation with my 32 month old DD.

First here have been my experiences with my 2 DS's . With DS1 when he turned 2 we tried EVERYTHING and I do mean everything. Treats, rewards, letting him be wet, let him be naked, going every x mins, etc. He was not doing it. Finally I was told 3 is the magic age with boys. So I stopped trying. Wouldn't you know 2 weeks after his 3rd birthday he just told me he wanted to start using the potty one day and was trained ever since. With DS2 I decided I would save myself the headache and wait until 3, well in identical fashion to his brother I think it was 1 week after his 3rd birthday he did the same thing. I did nothing they both just started doing it.

Now for DD. She has shown interest since she was very young. In fact she peed on the potty for the 1st time at 15 months old. She did that several times and then just didn't want to do it anymore. She wasn't even 2 so I did not push it. I had planned to use the same approach I did with my boys just wait. Well she shows interest and brings it up. She tells me when she needs to be changed, holds it for long periods of time, all the signs. However, in our several attempts, she ends up just peeing on the floor. She doesn't seem to recognize the sensation before she has to go. If you ask her if she has to she says yes and will go sit on the potty 15 times in a hour, but gets off and just pees on the floor.

So should I just wait like I had planned or keep trying at this exhausting go to the potty every 5 minutes only to still have an accident. I am getting a lot of negative response from people that she isn't trained. The whole girls are supposed to learn sooner, just let her pee on herself, wouldn't it be easier to get her trained before the baby, etc. I don't want to push her, and personally I don't see the benefit to cleaning up pee off of the floor, furniture, and her clothes for weeks just to have her trained before the baby gets here. So I appreciate any thoughts. Thanks :)

RockinLou 10-16-2011 10:40 PM

Re: Should I stick with what I know?

so- what did you decide?? my DD is giving us a run for our money on training too, she is 32 months old too.

adawn_2004 10-17-2011 12:34 AM

Re: Should I stick with what I know?

I have a 34 month old DD that is soooo stubborn and will not potty train. I am at a loss on what to do. Tried panties, pull ups, going every 10-15 minutes, rewards, everything! She has absolutely NO interest in it. Shes happy to go in her diaper. I think what is the most frustrating is she is very smart and knows what its for, just doesn't want to do it and cries when I make her sit on the potty.