Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   How to stop 2 year old from swearing! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12921)

keegans_mommy 06-09-2006 06:04 AM

How to stop 2 year old from swearing!

Oh gosh ladies, I am beside myself here but help me please!

Nate is 2 and he's got an arsenal of BAAAAAAAAAAAD words! :banghead: He's gotten them from another kid in the neighborhood and my DH :mad:

So, he says:

F**K-IT!
D**N-IT!
Butt head

So! PLEASE! How do I curb this talk? We don't spank and we don't use soap/hot sauce on the tongue either. He's 2 and thinks it's soooooooo funny to do this and I KNOW he has no clue what he's saying. He's just heard daddy use the swear words and this kid up the street say butt head (makes me want to kick that kid LOL) so he repeats it all :banghead:

I am soooooooo frustrated!

MamaMel 06-09-2006 06:16 AM

Re: How to stop 2 year old from swearing!

:popcorn: I'll be watching this! Luke doesn't say the F or D word but he always says shoot (which he got from me)

offlikeapromdress 06-09-2006 06:32 AM

This is what we did with our 3yr old. She said "stupid", which I know in the grand scheme of things isnt that bad, but we dont allow it and this will still work for you. We told her that was a word that we didnt use and that she needed to put that potty word in the potty. So DH walked her to the potty and told her to say it to the potty, she yelled stupid at the potty and then he told her to flush that word goodbye. She flushed the potty and he told her now she wasnt allowed to use that word anymore that there were other words she could use (and he told her what she could use) and that the word was now on its way to the bad word place via the toilet. It worked and she hasnt said that word again. Of course, now we are working on other words..lol. People, even in the grocery store or drs. office, dont realize what they say, then we get home and she has a new vocabulary...lol. Good Luck!

raversangel 06-09-2006 09:28 AM

:giggle: i think everyone has to go through this...i remember when i was taking care of a 2yo he just came out with 'mommy is a b----' and i was in SHOCK!! now my dh cusses like a sailor, but has now curbed since he has gotten out of the military so gratefully my ds hasn't come outright and said them, but he has slipped a couple times with 'lesser' words like stupid and his favorite new one is gay :banghead: usually if we ignore them and act like they are no big deal they will be gone within a week...one's like 'stupid' that seem to reaccure we take away a toy for each offense...when he gets down to two he asks how he can help mommy so he can get em back... :thumbsup: i hope you can find something that works mama!

keegans_mommy 06-09-2006 09:34 AM

Oh my gosh, I hope he stops soon! He's been saying the "D" word for weeks now! :banghead:

The "F" word is rather new and seems to be a new favorite in this house and it makes me mad at DH every single time I hear my sweet Nate say it!

On another note: Keegans new favorite word is fart :yuck:

scwendy 06-09-2006 10:01 AM

:hugs: Brenda! It's always something, isn't it?

Even with Grace (only 15 mos), the key is always being consistent. If she does something that is not allowed (hitting), I tell her, "That hurts. That is not very nice" in a firm (not loud) voice and sit her down in the middle of the floor. Oh she cries and wails to be held, but I won't pick her up for a minute or two and I don't smile or laugh (even though the drama can be downright hysterical). It takes perseverance, but it has decreased the behavior.

I always include an explanation even though she is too young to understand. I figure it keeps me in the habit of helping my children (2 older siblings)understand why a behavior is unacceptable. In the long run, this increases the likelihood of them internalizing the value rather than merely submitting to my authority when I am around.

It may be a little tougher to curb the behavior if DH uses those words.

Good luck, mama!!

keegans_mommy 06-09-2006 10:05 AM

[QUOTE=scwendy

QUOTE]

Too bad I can't put Brian in time-out! :razz:

stephdpn 06-09-2006 10:07 AM

I need a time-out chair for my hubby too (not for cursing, just in general! :lostit: )

scwendy 06-09-2006 10:11 AM

[QUOTE=keegans_mommy]
Quote:

Originally Posted by scwendy

Too bad I can't put Brian in time-out! :razz:

I must confess, Brenda, that I have quite the potty mouth. It has gotten better in my thirties. :hide:

When my two older kids were little they never swore anymore than the average kid and seldom EVER in public or out of context. Like they would stump their toe and swear:giggle: I think since I seldom swore while talking with them, they never really picked up on it as much.

keegans_mommy 06-09-2006 10:12 AM

SHAME SHAME I KNOW YOUR NAME! :lostit: