Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Introducing Solids (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=167)
-   -   Baby led Weaning - No Baby Foods or Puree's (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1293629)

CntryMama 10-11-2011 07:25 PM

Baby led Weaning - No Baby Foods or Puree's

I have heard from other moms locally and read on line (kellymom.com) that they never even did baby foods when introducing solids. Does anyone else do this and if so how did you like it?

carolineb 10-11-2011 10:29 PM

Re: Baby led Weaning - No Baby Foods or Puree's

I'm just starting to dabble in it a bit. I've been reading some as well. I didn't know about this idea of feeding baby with my older 2, but they were FF by 6 months and I did the typical cereal, puree kind of thing. DS is 6 months and EBF. Honestly, I feel like he's plenty satisfied on mama milk. He's gaining well. He nurses about every 2-3 hours, sometimes less, but I don't really keep an eye on the clock at all. I just nurse him when I think he wants/needs it. We also co-sleep, so he nurses a couple times at night...at least!

But, I'm really being lazy. I just plop him in the high chair and give him a hunk of banana. He smushes up most of it and might get a little in his mouth. He still has the "grab things by the fist and try to shove the whole fist in the mouth" skills, so not much food is getting in there. Occasionally I help get a little bite in there for him by letting him take it off my finger. I don't even do this every day. I gave him some tonight but I don't think he had had any food in 2 days. I had only been nursing him. They do get quite messy, which isn't a big deal to me. Just a little more to clean up than if I were spoon feeding him. I've also given him some mango, cooked carrots, noodles, apples. That's about it. It's nice to eat a meal and not have to stop my meal to spoon feed him and it's nice to just pull something off my plate and give it to him. I'm starting with softer foods that can easily be mashed. I know some mamas on here have given meats and different things. I think it all depends on what you are comfortable with and what you think is right for YOUR baby. Oh, and it's nice not going to the store and buying all those jars of food and all that stuff.

VeganCupcake 10-12-2011 07:23 PM

We did it with our DD and will do it with our DS when he is ready, too. It was so easy and I was glad to be giving DD a version of what we were eating. It just felt like she was eating real food.

HippieMomof5 10-12-2011 07:28 PM

I never did pureed food with my kids, whatever I could mash with my fork, they ate. I think its easier and cheaper and they let me know when they need more than just momma. :)

*Sent from my Droid using DS Forum*

mrspnut82 10-12-2011 08:23 PM

I did it with DS. He wasn't really interested before 7m, was EBF. Started with toast, once he got the hang of it a little I just gave him some of what we were eating.
i plan to do the same thing with this next one.

GLAZmommy 10-12-2011 08:26 PM

I EBF for 13-14 months so we didn't really do baby food other than to check for food reactions

ajbailey89 10-12-2011 08:45 PM

We did BLW with no purees or cereals. She had nothing by BM until 7-8 months and took regular food easily along with BM. We plan on doing the same thing with this baby.

mrosehughes 10-12-2011 10:43 PM

I did a mix of foods DS could grab and smashed up bananas/sweet potatoes/etc. I gave him oatmeal sometimes, too. He's been a great eater (in terms of regulating what goes in and not choking/gagging a whole lot) from pretty early on. I'd recommend BLW; it's easy!

heartmygingertwins 10-15-2011 11:58 AM

My 10month olds do BLW. I usually give them what we are eating except if it's spicy or has a lot of salt etc. I also steam up chunks of veggies and they have that, pieces of fruit and raisins for a snack, toasted pita with hummus.. I was never comfortable with purees, tbh. Google Gil Rapley to find more info on BLW. I think it's a fantastic way to feed your baby.. It teaches them to chew and mash food whereas purées just teach babies to swallow.

hibiscus869 10-20-2011 12:05 AM

I like the idea of BLW, but I personally found the book terribly repetitive, it really could have been summed up in a magazine article. We tried doing it around 8 months with no success- our LO gagged on everything and it actually seemed to put her off food. So we waited several months and when we started trying solids again we did what I would consider a 'modified' version, where we would offer real food but in TINY safe pieces so as not to put her off, and that worked much better. So while we never did purees and 'baby food' we didn't really do whole-hog BLW either.