Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Potty Training (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=173)
-   -   PT vs. PL? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294414)

vatblack 10-13-2011 09:35 AM

PT vs. PL?

What exactly is the difference between potty training and PL (which I assume stands for potty learning)?

If this is a common drama issue, please don't go there. Just tell me the difference. Is there something I'm missing here?

vatblack 10-13-2011 10:48 AM

Re: PT vs. PL?

bump... anyone please.

Kiliki 10-13-2011 10:58 AM

I think it's because some people find the idea of "training" a kid offensive somehow. I've heard a person correct me when I said "potty training" and they said, "No, you TRAIN a dog. You TEACH a child. Your child is potty LEARNING." I won't give you my opinion of the whole fiasco, but I think this is the issue between the two phrases.

bcb1961 10-13-2011 11:30 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kiliki (Post 13931267)
I think it's because some people find the idea of "training" a kid offensive somehow. I've heard a person correct me when I said "potty training" and they said, "No, you TRAIN a dog. You TEACH a child. Your child is potty LEARNING." I won't give you my opinion of the whole fiasco, but I think this is the issue between the two phrases.

So why can't PT = potty teaching? I think the whole PL thing is slightly ridiculous.

susie190 10-13-2011 11:37 AM

I feel PL is different because my son initiated it and is now learning how to do all things related on his own with supervision.
I tried to train him earlier and I was the one telling him when to go and where, and how to do it. It didn't work and we went back to diapers.
This way he tells me when has to go and which potty he wants to use. He still needs some direction sometimes but it's mostly self guided. :)

Pampered Mama 10-13-2011 12:17 PM

I used to think they were the same thing, but my views have changed.
If you set out to "Train" your child to use the potty (I don't find it offensive at all, BTW :-) ) your are learning to recognize their signals and when they need to go- or just getting on a schedule of taking them however often. For us, with DS, this completely backfired, and we, too ended up going back to diapers, and I was completely frustrated.

To me, potty learning is waiting for the child to understand and learn to respond to their own body cues in their own time- when they are both mentally and physically ready.

The more and harder we pushed him to "train" the harder he pushed back, the more stubborn he became- even with treats, rewards, etc. and even though he sometimes knew when he needed to go, he wouldn't. The more I backed off, and let him take the lead, the more he started to lead, and he is choosing more and more to go to the potty. I change his diaper without comment (usually- I'm only human!) and sometimes he will ask to put on big boy underwear- or he'll take his diaper off on his own and go potty and then put on underwear himself.

walley5 10-13-2011 01:04 PM

I have a feeling that different people mean different things when they use these terms. I first heard of it in the same way as above, as if people were offended by the term "train" - they would say "you TRAIN a dog, not a person." But personally I think this is a bit ridiculous - the term "training" is used for people in many ways, and no one seems offended by it. People train for a marathon. They get a new job and get on-the-job-training. No one seems bothered by those things... I think some people feel that children should be in control of everything (most things?) and when we as parents make decisions for them, that is abusive or at least a bad form of parenting.

With pottying, I know there are soooo many ways to teach your child to move to underwear from diapers. Personally, if I waited until my children wanted to use the potty, who knows when it would be. None ever gave any indication that they were tired of diapers - but all were trained around 2 years old (my last one was 22 months) with the exception of my twins, and that was because I was pregnant and sick and just couldn't do it. I used "Toilet Training in Less than a Day" and all were completely in underwear, with no accidents even at night, within a week. I would not feel that "training" is when the parent is the one trained, though, as my kids were completely independent by that time... meaning they initiated going, got themselves undressed and dressed again (for the most part), etc. I wouldn't consider a child to be potty trained if I was having to take him every few hours.

All that to say, I think it started with offense at the "training" phrase but now has different meanings to different people. I have a feeling it is one of those "politically correct" types of phrases, where suddenly a term is looked down on and communicates something that it didn't mean before.

vatblack 10-13-2011 10:41 PM

Thanks for the responses.

Teaspoon 10-14-2011 01:18 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Pampered Mama (Post 13931881)
I used to think they were the same thing, but my views have changed.
If you set out to "Train" your child to use the potty (I don't find it offensive at all, BTW :-) ) your are learning to recognize their signals and when they need to go- or just getting on a schedule of taking them however often. For us, with DS, this completely backfired, and we, too ended up going back to diapers, and I was completely frustrated.

To me, potty learning is waiting for the child to understand and learn to respond to their own body cues in their own time- when they are both mentally and physically ready.

The more and harder we pushed him to "train" the harder he pushed back, the more stubborn he became- even with treats, rewards, etc. and even though he sometimes knew when he needed to go, he wouldn't. The more I backed off, and let him take the lead, the more he started to lead, and he is choosing more and more to go to the potty. I change his diaper without comment (usually- I'm only human!) and sometimes he will ask to put on big boy underwear- or he'll take his diaper off on his own and go potty and then put on underwear himself.

The concept of PL sounds awesome but then how do one know his or her child is ready for PL? Does it initially start as PT then becomes PL? I'm just confused...