Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Alaska & Hawaii (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=124)
-   -   best maternity hospital on Oahu (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1294623)

lisaells 10-13-2011 02:42 PM

best maternity hospital on Oahu

Mamas who have delivered in hospitals on Oahu - Where did you have baby? My choices (for my insurance) are Kapiolani, Castle, or Queens. My doc delivers at all 3. I'm told that kapiolani is good if baby is high risk or preemie, but otherwise to avoid it as it is big and impersonal. Queens better at dealing with any health problems that the mother is having, and pretty good/comfortable. Castle is smallest, quietest, and has nice new birthing suites.

Anyone have experience at any of these? How were the rooms? How was the staff?

Thanks!

808mamaof3 10-13-2011 06:20 PM

Re: best maternity hospital on Oahu

I've delivered twice at Kapiolani and loved it. For the most part the nurses were nice and very attentive and my babies received really good care. They listened to my birth plan (although they do not have birth tubs) and I'll probably return there for future births.

My friends have delivered at both Kapiolani and Queens. The generally consenses I get from them is that at Queens they let you labor in a tub, but not deliver. The hospital is also prettier. The nurses are somewhat friendlier, but I've also heard stories where my friends received poor breastfeeding advice, had inattentive nurses and one friend had the doctor/nurses at Queens yank her placenta before it was ready to deliver and she needed a blood transfusion. I think that was more of a horror story than the norm tho. Other friends loved it there.

For Kapiolani, you can labor in a shower and bounce on a ball, walk around, etc. I've heard some nurses aren't too friendly...but I guess it depends who you get on what shift.

The reason why I chose Kapiolani over Queens (and it was a debate in my head), was that the baby's well-being was paramount over my delivery wants. My OB delivers at both, but my pediatrician really felt more comfortable when his patients were at Kapiolani.

Either way you can't really go wrong. PM if you have any other questions, I'd be happy to answer :)

sundreams53 02-19-2012 07:32 PM

I personally chose castle for the quiet small hospital feel. And its the only hospital on the island that let's you deliver in your room and doesn't transfer you to a recovery room. Plus you can labor in their jacuzzi style tubs.

lisaells 02-20-2012 07:04 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by sundreams53 (Post 14674659)
I personally chose castle for the quiet small hospital feel. And its the only hospital on the island that let's you deliver in your room and doesn't transfer you to a recovery room. Plus you can labor in their jacuzzi style tubs.

I did deliver at Castle in December and I would highly recommend! Nice staff, great facilities, quiet location!!!

kehau68 04-11-2012 09:14 AM

I've been hearing the same things about the hospitals and my dr delivers at kapiolani . I'm 24 weeks and debating finding a new doc so that I can go to castle! My last baby was born on Kauai so I had that nice slow country feel and loved it! Hmmmm would love to hear more from others!

Blue5055 04-20-2012 01:11 AM

I delivered at castle the day after this thread was started. :giggle:

I had a scheduled c-section so my experience was probably a little different, but overall, it was a great experience. Nice staff, quiet, private. Nice rooms. The staff is very hands off; they leave you alone for the most part and just come for vitals or if you call them. For post delivery pain meds, you usually have to call for them or they just assume you don't need it. There's no nursery as they expect baby to stay with you. My mom (nurse and mother to 6, all born in different hospitals) and I were pretty happy with the place and care I received.

MangoMama 06-13-2012 03:51 AM

Depends what you are looking for... Everyone in my family delivered at kapiolani, I found it much too impersonal and clinical feeling. I loved my experience at queens. It felt very comfortable. The labor & delivery room felt like a room in a home, all the tools and lights needed for delivery were hidden in all these cool fold away compartments that just magically appeared when it was time to push. I loved it

USNwifey03 07-06-2012 08:53 PM

I have several friends that have delivered at Kapiolani recently. They loved it. One had twins 5 weeks early that had to go to the NICU and both babies and mommy were well taken care of. They said the staff was friendly. Despite this I will not be delivering there as we are military and Tripler is much closer to where I live.

RhiannaMarie1228 10-26-2012 10:56 AM

Could somebody email me so I can ask a few questions...I am going to be new to Hawaii and 5 months pregnant. I was thinking about going to Queens or Castle...probably need to have a C section...was wondering what Dr. is the best at performing these? Help! thanks

RhiannaMarie1228 10-26-2012 10:58 AM

Any chance you could email me so I could ask you some questions?? sorry, I know it is akward but I think I am in the same position as you. I will have to have a scheduled c section. Was wondering what Dr. you had and if the incision was small, and where was it placed at. any info will help....new and nervous! LOL thanks!