Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   baby Chance birth story (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=129671)

wiseolegoat1 04-12-2007 09:28 PM

baby Chance birth story

Hi Mamas,
Just thought I would write our birth story...
I was planning a c-section...as this is my 5th son, and all the others were c-section as they were all too large to fit out normal way. 9.9-10.6 lbs.
I have been on meds for hypertension and gestational diabetes, and am 45 years old....so was being monitored very closely for pre-eclampsia.
I live out in the woods in a log cabin, beautiful, but 1 1/2 hours away from closest hosp and 3 hours away from the college training hospital I go to for hypertension.
I was rather unhappy with the local dr....seemed like he wasn't paying attention to things I was telling him...was starting my 9th month and he was still seeing me every 2 weeks....hemmoroids were extremely infected and painful and he never even looked at them. he never asked for non stress test for baby.
I transferred all my care to the college training hosp, to a woman dr I really liked and trusted. She had me come in for non stress tests 2 times a week, once at her hosp, and once a week more locally to ease the travel stress on me. She decided on the 3rd non stress test that baby was in trouble.
I did not have enough amniotic fluid in there with him. I was at 36.1 weeks gestation and was having very mild contractions every 10 minutes that were causing baby's heart rate to drop. I could not feel these contractions.
She told me we need to keep you, and deliver your baby today!
Do you need to make a phone call?
HuH? well, YA!
So I called hubby and told him to be there in 6 hours our less and bring the car seat and my oldest son, now 18.
I expected to be cut open around 6 pm....and my family had not shown up yet, were probably having trouble getting a ride that far....we had had car problems and were without transportation, I had medical transportation set up for me for appts, so it was a challenge for them to get in.
I was crying a lot, not ready to stop being pregnant, not prepared for this baby just yet, and not ready to go through this alone.
They got there about 7:30pm, and I had been bumped out from OR by a critical emergency. Took a while longer for shift change and anestheisia dr.so we were ready to go at 10:30.
Chance Allan McQuiston was born at 10:45pm and was 6 lbs 8 oz and 19 1/2 inches long. He was born March 13, 07....tho we expected him April 9th!
He spent 12 hours in NICU, and 8 hours in transitional nursery before he came to stay in our room the rest of our stay. He was born on a Tuesday and we were released on a Friday. Tho he is tiny compared to the other boys, he is darling and I am so happy and relieved all went well.
In hindsight it was a very good thing I transferred all my care to the better hospital. My old Dr would not have ordered the stress tests..never known of a problem, and by the time I felt contractions, my little boy could have had his heart stop and there would be no bundle of joy now!
We are adapting well, struggling a bit with breastfeeding, supplementing with formula, trying to find one he wont spit up or be gassy with, while I am trying to make more milk than just covering the bottom of a baby bottle!
He is the light of my life, and I don't think I have ever done anything more rewarding than being a mom!
I look forward to hearing from the rest of you mamas!
Brightest Blessings,
Shari and baby Chance

Shadowwolf549 04-12-2007 09:31 PM

Re: baby Chance birth story

:happy_birthday: Chance and congrats to you Mama! Do you have any pics?

mrsbehaven007 04-12-2007 09:37 PM

congrats mama!!! I am so glad that you did what felt right and got rid of that loser dr. I cant wait to see pics of that new little bundle!!! :hugs:

wiseolegoat1 04-13-2007 03:25 AM

Will try to get pics up for everybody to see.
He is one month old today!
Daddy managed to lose the digital camera until yesterday.....will pester him till he gets those pics and puts them on the comp for me!
Can't wait to show him off!
I have been just radiating love since they brought him to me in the hospital room!
I think babies are the fountain of youth...they keep you young!

For you mamas still prego....follow your heart, do what feels right....it IS the right thing to do! That is why they call it Mothers insticts.:2cents:

MommyMommyMommy 04-13-2007 10:31 AM

Congrats! :goodvibes:

MarchMama 04-13-2007 10:35 AM

Congratulations mama!! Your inner voice will never steer you wrong:goodvibes:

serinat 04-15-2007 07:12 AM

Congrats on your new baby!

akrab 04-15-2007 07:48 PM

Congrats! So glad you listened to your instincts!

Shaineinok 04-16-2007 06:41 AM

Congrats! Glad you changed that doc.

Mama3xsm 04-16-2007 08:10 AM

Congrats on a healthy baby! I am so glad you stood with your instincts and had a bundle of joy!! I love the name Chance!