Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Help. I dont know what else to do. (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=12968)

carolynanne 06-09-2006 09:35 AM

Help. I dont know what else to do.

I am having a reoccuring blister problem with my 10m old. I was just posting about this on another CD board I am on, heres the OP.

This has happened with both my boys. We didnt start CDing Terrell until he was 15m. When the irritation started happening ( at about 2), we figured it was due to mature urine and the higher amonia content that comes with it. I would use rash ointments and double up on the fleece liners ( or just add a fleece liner to the FB). It worked and always cleared up. The last time he got it was a few months ago and he actually told me his penis hurt. He's 3.5 and we just decided that we could swing the one diaper a day he was using and he is in a sposie at night.

Just a few weeks ago Elijah had two blisters on his penis. I was so aggrivated! He is only 10m so my mature urine theroy was out the window with him. We figured there were two possible causes.
1. Due to sensitive skin, he needs to be wiped clean after every diaper change. We werent using wipes 100% of the time for pee only diapers. Hes quite the wiggle worm and I have a hard enough time just getting a diaper on him.
2. He sleeps 10-12 hours a night. I have gotten lazy and was using fitteds and not using fleece. Again with his sensitive skin, that may have been too long with the urine up against his skin. We had him in sposies and it cleared up rather quickly. We are putting him in FB at night now and using the fitteds during the day when he is changed more often.

The boys both have sensitive skin and are very good sleepers. I think that is a bad combination. I think that mature urine may contribute to it, but I cant say for sure.

So as of today Elijah has been back in cloth for about 48 hours. We have been wiping him down well every time and using fleece. I just changed him and he has another blister on the tip of his penis. I dont know what else to do. I don't have a build up issue, we havnet been using any new detergent ( we use bi-o-kleen), and there is nothing new in his diet.

Does anyone have any expierence with this? Any suggestions? I have been CDing for quite a while and really dont want to stop. :cry:

FitMommyOf2 06-09-2006 09:57 AM

Re: Help. I dont know what else to do.

:hugs: mama,
I really have no idea what else it could be. Honestly, I'd go and see the ped; maybe he knows something!?
Sorry, I'm no help! :blush:

I hope Elijah will be blister-free soon again! :hugs:

keegans_mommy 06-09-2006 09:59 AM

The only thing I can think of to create a barrier is vaseline, we don't use it for anything but it's the "lesser of 2 evils" IMO. :) use that with the fleece to wick away the moisture.

I am sorry! :hugs:

Meisubaby 06-09-2006 10:18 AM

If the diaper is too roomy and you have hemp inserts it will make horrible friction and cause that. Try microfiber inserts with a microfleece liner and see if that helps.

carolynanne 06-09-2006 10:19 AM

Is it possible that his skin is just to sensitive? Or that he is having some type of alergic reaction.

I asked his ped and they have no expierence with babies in cloth, but they did say that its not uncommon for boys to get sore spots or irritations on the tip of their penis.

Im just at a loss.

carolynanne 06-09-2006 10:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Meisubaby
If the diaper is too roomy and you have hemp inserts it will make horrible friction and cause that. Try microfiber inserts with a microfleece liner and see if that helps.

My fitteds are mostly hemp. He is about 24 pounds and in a size large. Is the microfleece better then the regular fleece?

Meisubaby 06-09-2006 10:28 AM

Theres your problem. Some babies get chaffed more easily than others and hemp IS STIFF and so when hes crawling around or the other one running around it gets rubbed over and over with that stiffness and makes those blisters. Microfleece is softer and will stay nice and soft wash after wash where as regular fleece will pill and even get rough after a while. Go to Joanns and get some microfleece and cut them into big baby shaped liners so that even with crawling and running it will be completely covered.

carolynanne 06-09-2006 10:30 AM

Thank You. Ill give it a shot!! =)

CrunchyPeach 06-10-2006 06:54 AM

Are you using TTO or lavendar EO in your wash or in your wipe solution, by any chance? We had rash problems and discovered it was the TTO in our wipe solution. I hope your little guy feels better soon! :hugs:

Blackbirdlane 06-10-2006 07:08 AM

try the micro.

also my ds only got red and irritated when there was buildup in the diapers. could that be an issue? :hugs: