Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Ok...did any of think of NOT using CD once you started? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13022)

Sarahbunny 06-09-2006 12:21 PM

Ok...did any of think of NOT using CD once you started?

ETA: Title of thread was supposed to be "Did any of YOU think of not using cd..blahblah"

So, everyone knows I am cloth diapering and the response I get most often is..."well, give it a few weeks and you won't be doing it anymore" or some variation of that. Along with some eye rolls, of course, about cloth diapering and how I never seemed to be that "crunchy" before and blah blah. You should see it when I talk about babywearing! :giggle: I usually throw that in there too.

Anyway, now it seems that people "know people who tried to cd but gave up after a few weeks" so that means that I will too.

Just wondering what cd'ing mamas experiences have been. Did you reach a time in the beginning when you thought you wouldn't be able to cd? Any advice for me? This is my first baby, coming home through the miracle of domestic adoption, and the expectant mother is due literally any day now. And I have sunk a TON of money into cute dipes. How anyone can resist those Berry Plush dipers is beyond me. Or a diaper with cherries on it.

jodi5 06-09-2006 12:32 PM

Re: Ok...did any of think of NOT using CD once you started?

Honestly, I never have. I think if you find a system that works well for you, and find your rhythm you will be fine. I find when getting started with each child, it took a little bit to figure out the routine. Also, how you have things organized can make a huge difference. For me, I use prefolds and covers so I hang up my covers and trifold all my prefolds when they come out of the wash and stack them in a hanging diaper stacker. It makes it really easy come change time because I am not having to do any folding etc. and everything I need is within reach. I also have a habit of when I do the wash etc. You just need to find what works for you. Also, I think some people are faced with leaks etc. and that can be frustrating. But if you have good quality diapers that work for you, then hopefully that won't be an issue. I know I usually start with sposies at the hospital and for the first week or so and then make the switch. Usually by then, my sposies are leaking and causing more grief than cloth ever would anyways so I definitely look forward to getting that nice cloth on my baby's bottom!

Enjoy your little one!!! and try not to think about what others say. It really is a lot of fun. Most of those people have never used modern day diapers or have never tried it themselves.

Jodi

Kylie&Logan'sMommy 06-09-2006 12:32 PM

My family thought it was a phase for me or something I was trying. I have to be honest there were some points where I was ready to throw in the towel and would go with sposies for a week or so. After all most 2 years of it is has really become part of my life or daily routine. I honestly get grossed out by the smell of a sposie now and dd has sensitive skin so when she is in one she gets all red asap. I did buy sposies for next week for her when I am in the hospital having the new baby bc my dh wont do the diaper laundry and it will sit for too long, but as soon as I get home both kids will be in cloth:lostit: Good luck! Whatever works for you is the right choice:)

stellar225 06-09-2006 12:33 PM

Nope. I started when K was 3mos by buying less than half a dozen FBs on eBay. Within two days, despite major leaking problems due to needing better inserts, I knew I wasn't going to look back.

aimeemarie 06-09-2006 12:36 PM

Yes, the first day we Cd'd full time I had two major poop blow outs. (this was like last Sunday I think) and after those dipes I was having serious buyer's remorse (I had bought 12 new Fb's) BUT after those diapers I remembered a tip from someone when you are in between S and M in FB's---pull the corners of the front out of the top to get a tighter fit in the legs and we haven't had any leaks since.

Bridget Riedell 06-09-2006 12:52 PM

Well, try to keep in mind that the newborn stage is very busy and an adjustment all in it's own. With that being said, it doesn't last long either. Try not to worry about what others say to you. Think about all the wonderful sacrifices you're making for that small gift of a person:) If the system you have doesn't work, you can sell those on here and try again. Sometimes it takes a few adjustments.

I started out with fitteds and wool and love that combination, but later discovered prefolds are wonderful too. I never thought I'd prefer pfds. I go on about cloth diapers to my friends and family when the topic arises and they look at me like I'm nuts. Oh well, maybe I'll plant a seed somewhere along the way.

Congrats on adopting!

FitMommyOf2 06-09-2006 12:54 PM

I honestly never did, but I know my mom thought I would give it up soon! :giggle:

Blackbirdlane 06-09-2006 01:07 PM

No, I stuck to it because of all the money I knew I was going to save. I love not having to go to the store because I am "out of diapers". I just throw them in the wash and there they are. I use alot of prefolds and what I can sew. I sometimes buy new things, but I can make almost anything, and nothing beats prefolds. I had cloth wipes that I used for over 2 years before they fell apart. Sposies smell gross too and they get all squishy :yuck: and my kids bottoms have never been heathier, no diaper rash. ds got horrible rashes when in sposies, as soon as I switched to cloth (he was 5 months) they went away.

we use 7th generation sposies on trips, but truthfully they are not much easier than cloth. you still have to go out of your way to find a place to change. and if you have the right cloth diaper system there is no need to worry about leaks.

Psychomom 06-09-2006 01:35 PM

Yes, plenty of times. But, I always have stuck with it (I may have taken a short break from it, but I always came back.) In the end, I love it too much to give it up.

Mommyof2Princesses 06-09-2006 01:48 PM

I remember meeting another mom and her saying she cded and thinking good for you not me!!! But after seeing all of the cute diapers and convincing DH I could do it, I never thought I can't do this. But I didn't start until my little one was 4 months old. I was so amazed after the first bf poo that the diaper contained it (after months of having to wash pooout of dd outfits) I love it. It also gives me one more thing to shop for!!!!