Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   If you planned a water birth...poll! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1302862)

yesterdayicried 10-30-2011 10:36 AM

If you planned a water birth...poll!

For our third home birth I am considering water birth. In the past I decided against because I felt like if I paid for the tub and accessories I was bound to use it. My first birth I got in our tiny bath tub but felt too restricted and needed lots of space for my pacing and big movements. With number two I early labored in the shower for a bit and it felt wonderful and then just could not find my rhythm or comfort zone during active labor. It was fast, intense and baby had a nucchal hand so lots of back labor. I think water would have helped a lot with her birth. So I'm weighing pros and cons and considering it. Take my poll if you planned a water birth, please!

ETA: I'd love to hear your experiences, too. Mainly, do you feel like being in the water made the pain more tolerable?

Squig'sMumMum 10-30-2011 10:43 AM

Re: If you planned a water birth...poll!

"Other" because I am planning on renting a tub and want to see the poll results too :)

umphreysmommy 10-30-2011 10:46 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Squig'sMumMum
"Other" because I am planning on renting a tub and want to see the poll results too :)

Me too

yesterdayicried 10-30-2011 10:49 AM

LOL, that doesn't help me! :giggle:

Squig'sMumMum 10-30-2011 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by yesterdayicried (Post 14031763)
LOL, that doesn't help me! :giggle:

:giggle2: Sorry mama!

USMCgirl_05 10-30-2011 11:37 AM

Well I paid $3500 for a birth center so I could have a water birth and it was worth every penny :D

My labor was only 4 hours and I was in denial for most of it :giggle: We had to drive 80 miles to the BC and when we got there I was pretty much fully dilated. ALL I wanted to do was get in the tub immediately after we got there! It was such a relief when I finally got in after about 10 minutes (she was born an hour later). the warm water felt amazing and I felt like I could actually relax through the contractions way better than I could have in the bed or in any other position.

She was born in the tub, I had no desire to get out. the pushing phase is always the hardest for me as far as the pain goes, and the water took away some of the pressure just from gravity alone!

Macyllehub 10-30-2011 01:34 PM

Planned water birth, achieved water birth for 3rd baby.

I voted - Other...... I would say - Used tub, loved laboring in tub, would not birth in water again.

During labor all 3 times - I love water. LOVE. Especially in transition. I really feel like water immersion is essential to my labors.....

I felt slippery during pushing. Even though it was a 15 minute process, not long at all, it still felt out of control because even with handles, I couldn't seem to stop slipping! It made me a bit frantic once the head was birthed and I slipped then needed to re-adjust and push body out. Not something I'll do again.

I absolutely will have my birth tub set up for this coming home birth... and I will love it in labor I'm sure! BUT I'll get out for a land birth :)

mamaof10 10-30-2011 01:41 PM

My attempt at water birth is linked in my siggy (kady, the breech baby)....I will not try that again. was not helpful at al :/

jeebee 10-30-2011 03:16 PM

I am hoping for one this time! Labored in the tub both times for most of the labours which were on the quick side. Lulu also had her hand by her face and I had bad back labour, and the water really helped. However born on land, i had an internal 2nd degree tear. I am not sure the water would have helped too much with that though since it was more about where her hand was. With Stella getting in the tub actually slowed things down I think, but it was a really nice calm and non-painful labour with spaced out contractions so I was happy to enjoy sitting in the tub. The only time it wasn't calm was when I had to push, then I just pushed like a mad person and of course I tore. MW seems to think the water will help with that urge and letting the peri stretch, I hope so too! I'll have to answer this poll in a few days.

MotherMoonPads 10-30-2011 03:38 PM

I LOVED it. One thing to note though, if there are complications, being in a pool makes it harder for a midwife to help. My daughter got stuck and I was attempting to give birth in the pool. I had to climb out of the pool (with DD's head out :blush:) for the midwife to assist me. That was something I hadn't considered.