Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a big deal? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303093)

jr1008 10-30-2011 09:20 PM

Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a big deal?

My daughter is 2.5 years old and still nursing to sleep. This is the only time she nurses and dd and I are completely happy with this arrangement. My neice is almost three and has came into the room and saw I was nursing. Now she is trying to nurse her baby doll. My sister just informed me that I am not allowed to nurse in front of her anymore because she does this now. I don't see the big deal. If dd would do this I would tell her that this is what you do when you get older and become a mommy. I think it's the difference between me nursing and my sister barely nursed my neice. I just don't think nursing is a big deal anymore as in inappropriate or anything negative. I will respect my sisters wishes but refuse to act ashamed or hide that I nurture my daughter in a different way.

VeganCupcake 10-30-2011 09:49 PM

Re: Am I the only one who doesn't think it's a big deal?

I don't think there's anything wrong with a 3 (or 4, 5, 6, 7 or older) year old pretending to nurse a doll. Acting like it's not appropriate gives the message that nursing is dirty. (However, if pretend nursing involved removing or lifting up her shirt in public, I would tell my DD that she had to keep her shirt on to "nurse" her baby when we weren't home.)

staceyroo77 10-30-2011 09:53 PM

:exactly:

I also don't see a problem you you nursing you little one to sleep either! That's how my LO's have gotten to sleep until they were at least nearly 2 yrs old.

doulamomma 10-30-2011 09:54 PM

Not only do I not think its a big deal but I think its good for her to see. little girls need to be exposed to breasts doing what they are meant to do. They should know that its normal. Kids mimic adult behavior. And bfing is just normal adult behavior

Sent via my phone using swype. Beware of typos :)

jr1008 10-30-2011 10:03 PM

I just reread the text she sent and she actually went so far to tell her that they didn't do that and dd doesn't do it anymore cause she's a big girl. Grrr. It's aggravating. I am proud that dd and I have that connection. And she will not be ashamed of that when she is a mother if I can help it.

Sarawithouth 10-30-2011 11:20 PM

Tell her that she needs to keep a better watch on her DD if she's going to barge in on you will nursing!

And good Good you. I agree, little girls and boys should be exposed to healthy nursing relationships.

Sent from my phone using DS Forum

loveramongstars 10-31-2011 09:34 AM

Your sister probably just doesn't want you to teach her kid something that she's not comfortable with. Just have a talk with her and talk to your niece. Your dd can probably help to.

Sent from my Inspire. Hope everything makes sense!

Bellamoon 10-31-2011 10:30 AM

my little girl is almost 5 and every single time I sit down to nurse my 8month old she "nurses" her babies too. Not odd.

4boys1girlforme 10-31-2011 10:33 AM

Umm DS4 nurses his superman (not sure how superman might feel about it) and I'm fine with it. That is how tiny humans are fed.

cdwelton 10-31-2011 01:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Butterfly Designs (Post 14036625)
my little girl is almost 5 and every single time I sit down to nurse my 8month old she "nurses" her babies too. Not odd.

That is awesome, I hope my kids do that!

OP to some people BF is weird, and it's hard to get them to understand differently. IMHO more kids need to learn that boobs are to feed tiny humans, not an object to attract dirty men...