Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Minimalist Families (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=222)
-   -   Clothes issues help me work it out! (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1303115)

flynnsmom 10-30-2011 09:15 PM

Clothes issues help me work it out!

So, I am the type of person who likes to purge clothes from my minimal wardrobe, but then get "new" ones from the thrift store when I find something cool. Overall, I purge more than I buy, and my closet is not crowded. However, being of the minimalist mindset I feel like I should just stop buying stuff! I also just bought rad vegan boots from Ross of all places, and I love them and am wearing them constantly. I feel sorta guilty that I buy stuff and I very frequently have a craving to go thrift store shopping. Anyone else wrestle with these demons? I feel like even though I try to embrace minimalism my craving for clothes is still a twisted part of consumerism.

hibiscus869 10-30-2011 10:05 PM

This is me completely. I love to purge and then get new things, rather than just making do with what I currently have. I know people that have had the same clothes for years on end and I'm always sort of stunned and admiring at the same time. I have shoes, for example, that I'm sure would last me for years because they are such good quality, so why am I out looking for new ones? It's a real weakness for me. On Saturday I was at the mall and came home with nothing and I was so proud of myself. I feel like minimalism is about reducing your consumption, and that is a hard one for me.

lissydoll 10-30-2011 10:43 PM

Re: Clothes issues help me work it out!

I LOVE SHOPPING, and thrift store is the guilt free way of doing that... so... dont feel guilty!

mallotalvo 10-30-2011 10:53 PM

:) I do the exact same thing. Luck for me, we are in a high donation area... so our thift stores like to go 50% on the weekends. i purge only after i find a good deal. and i stick to a color theme- ha. if it isn't black.white.grey i don't know how to wear it or decorate with it.

Fashionably Green Baby 10-31-2011 06:55 AM

Not clothes but I have an iced coffee addiction that I am trying to kick

percussionsmith 10-31-2011 09:40 AM

One in one out helps a little, but for me, I don't mind too much if I see something I like better than what I have. I WOH so if I committed to my minimalist wardrobe for too long I would be bored, obviously re-wearing all the time and wear through things quickly. I don't spend much, so I don't feel too guilty.

Reuben Christopher 10-31-2011 11:01 AM

Well I have clothing that I have had since I was 14-15 yrs old (I just turned 25) that are sitting in my closet waiting for the baby weight to go. The jeans I wear out faster so I have some that are about 5-6 years old waiting for me as well. I fit a few things that I have kept but then the stuff I fit now is at least 2 years old. I haven't bought shoes since last Thanksgiving and they are running shoes. I haven't bought "other" shoes for at least 2 years. Some of my stuff is getting worn out looking but a lot of it is just fine. I haven't liked clothing shopping since I got preggers with dd (so about 3 years ago). I am working on losing about 7-10 more lbs over the next few months and then whatever doesn't fit my body by baby new body will have to go. It's just a mind frame you have to get into I guess. Or maybe set a limit for yourself? Like you can spend $5 a week on clothing/accessories or you can buy 1 or 2 items a week? I find if I set a limit before I ever go and promise myself to stick with it then I do so much better.

flynnsmom 10-31-2011 04:52 PM

I only buy 1 or 2 items a week if that. You are all making me feel better. I work, so I feel like I should look fairly nice. Ok, time to stop beating myself up. We always follow 1 in 1 out rule, and usually get rid of more than that.

greenMImama 10-31-2011 10:32 PM

It's all so relative.

A lot for you might be not near as much for others, if you are uncomfortable with the amount then you should pare down, but if you feel like you have a good handle on it, and of course aren't going into debt for it and it all fits into your closet/dresser than it is fine :)

I am trying to pare down my shoes, I grow out of clothes but the same shoes fit forever :)