Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Doc did a poor 20wks Scan--Need Thoughts/Ideas (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1305312)

png_lovebirds 11-04-2011 10:57 AM

Doc did a poor 20wks Scan--Need Thoughts/Ideas

Well, I've been looking at 20 week scans on YouTube and come to conclusion that my Doc did a really bad job!

-She measured the head but didn't look at the brain
-She looked at the heart for less than 10 seconds and didn't check blood flow.
-She didn't listen to the heart and do any "measurements"(as I saw in all videos I looked at)
-She didn't look at the blood flow in the umbilicord(see below as to why that is upsetting)

I could go on! I really want to call her and tell her I want a repeat scan but I'm scared to do it.....ugh....I don't know what to do!

With my last pregnancy, my baby had an SUA(single umbilical artery) and I told the Dr. this many times and that I wanted this baby's cord checked out. Well, even with my repeated nudging she didn't check the blood flow and said at the end(when I questioned her again) that it looked fine...:banghead:

Also, the baby basically had no fluid....and when I pointed that out, she said, "Well, it's all over here" and pointed to a large pocket of fluid. But the baby should have pockets of fluid around her...not just ONE large one near her feet.... :cry:

Thoughts??

mamaratliff 11-04-2011 11:15 AM

Re: Doc did a poor 20wks Scan--Need Thoughts/Ideas

If you aren't comfortable, then get a second opinion. It shouldn't be that difficult to get a different OB at this point, and request a scan :hugs:

songbird516 11-04-2011 11:47 AM

I would call and ask tell her how you're feeling. I was happy that the doctor did a VERY detailed scan of our baby's heart. Recently in our area there was a baby born with a CHD that was undiagnosed despite several ultrasounds, and I think he was trying to be extra careful.

However, I don't know anything about ultrasounds- you sound like you know more about them than I do. I wouldn't have known anything like what you said you were looking for! I have no idea what amniotic fluid looks like on the monitor...I guess all you can do is tell them your concerns and see what they say.

hilaryisinked 11-04-2011 11:52 AM

That isn't detailed enough at all :hugs:. I would get it redone.

TwinKristi 11-04-2011 12:25 PM

Well I would definitely ask about it, but if the dr feels they covered their bases i don't know what you can really do? I actually had 2 anatomy scans and both were very detailed. I had one at a local office for my OB and the high risk Peri I saw wanted one done at their office as well. Both took a good 30 mins and measured every thing and got pics of everything.

This is a link that shows what is usually done in that scan...

http://www.babymed.com/pregnancy/ult...-is-being-done

jeebee 11-05-2011 05:58 AM

Was it just your doctor that did the scan? Then I would ask to get a referral to a radiology office that has specifically trained ultrasound technicians. They do that stuff every day and know what to look for and how to look for certain things, much better than an OB would be able to do because it isn't their specialty! Usually they would send the results to your OB after they have analysed it. It doesn't sound to me like you got an actual 20 wk anatomy scan where there are certain things they are supposed to look for, it sounds like your doctor just had a general look at the baby.

L J 11-05-2011 06:14 AM

I switched OBs at 22 weeks last time, and the best part is the insurance company paid for 20 week u/s at both. I had a ton by the end of the pregnancy due to prior risk factors and questionable fluid.

It sounds like you question your doctors competency, which I don't blame, and now would be an ideal time to find someone new.

Sent from my iPhone using DS Forum

CountryChicMama 11-05-2011 06:40 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by jeebee (Post 14067156)
Was it just your doctor that did the scan? Then I would ask to get a referral to a radiology office that has specifically trained ultrasound technicians. They do that stuff every day and know what to look for and how to look for certain things, much better than an OB would be able to do because it isn't their specialty! Usually they would send the results to your OB after they have analysed it. It doesn't sound to me like you got an actual 20 wk anatomy scan where there are certain things they are supposed to look for, it sounds like your doctor just had a general look at the baby.

ITA. With my first my OB did all the ultrasounds and I didn't think anything about it. You know until I ended up w/ an almost 10lb baby with no mention of it from him. With my current providers they have on-staff ultrasound techs and man, the difference is night and day. They are much more thorough.

TwinKristi 11-05-2011 09:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CountryChicMama

ITA. With my first my OB did all the ultrasounds and I didn't think anything about it. You know until I ended up w/ an almost 10lb baby with no mention of it from him. With my current providers they have on-staff ultrasound techs and man, the difference is night and day. They are much more thorough.

Yeah a friend of mine had a couple scans done by her dr in the office and she ended up getting a scan at the hospital after she gained a bunch of weight and grew a bunch fundal height wise and found out she was having twins at 34wks! She delivered 2wks later! Her dr missed twins in two scans at the office so she obviously didn't do a very thorough exam!

elizabeth429 11-05-2011 03:28 PM

Yes! If the Doc did the scan I'd ask to be sent out to have a trained tech go over it. I've worked with many docs who themselves admit they don't quite always know what they're looking at.

About the cord and fluid - sometimes you can tell the cord has 3 vessels by not putting on the color flow, and fluid is sometimes all "up by the feet" if the baby's head is sandwiched into the lower uterine segment.

If you feel uncomfortable, ask them for other options, they are working for you!! Good luck mama!