Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Explain to me about cloth and circumcision (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1307194)

mama2sweetpeas 11-08-2011 08:49 AM

Explain to me about cloth and circumcision

After 2 little girls we are excited to be expecting a little boy! I know nothing obviously about circ care. I've heard the hopsital uses vaseline and gauze wrap after the circe, right? How often does it have to be changed? We will use sposes at the hospital but switch to cloth right away at home. I know vaseline is not good for cd's, and I've read that cj's butter (spray) is great for it. Would I still use the gauze after spraying it on? How long typically until it heals and you don't do that? Do you change the gauze and spray new butter on at each dipe change? Thanks!

Angel89411 11-08-2011 08:55 AM

We used Vaseline with Ds1 but were given an antibiotic ointment with Ds2. You apply whatever they tell you to at each change. They told us to use gauze with ds1 but said we didn't need to with Ds2. With ds2 I just apply the ointment and fold a thin liner (cut up fleece from fabric store) into a little square and put it over his weewee before closing the diaper. It is easy, really and takes 1 to 2 weeks to heal.

Levi_Elizabeth 11-08-2011 01:09 PM

Re: Explain to me about cloth and circumcision

DS1 had the plasti bell, I think that was what it was called. It was a little plastic tube that went over it and you didn't do anything - no vaseline or anything. For DS2 we had to put vaseline and cloth at every change. Both were fine. I used sposies for 2-3 weeks with each of my boys to get us through the circ phase and so they could grow into small FBs. If we have a third I would buy some fleece to line newbie diapers with and definitely buy a newborn stash!

Ladyflower 11-08-2011 01:13 PM

At first you do lay a gauze patch over top of the penis after putting on the ointment. You could continue to do that while using the ointment or you could do like the pp's said and use a fleece liner. We used A&D ointment, which is what the hospital used. They will give you care instructions so I would follow whatever it is that they have written.

MommaKatie 11-08-2011 01:18 PM

We used an A&D ointment for DS1 (who was in sposies) and covered it with gauze. We'll be waiting until this baby is between 1-2 weeks old to have the circumcision done. We use Grandma El's diaper cream and I'm curious if I could use it in place of A&D since the consistency is so similar. Either A&D or Gma El's we'll wrap it in gauze and put a liner in the dipe. We are going prefolds and covers.

fantasia1117 11-08-2011 02:03 PM

I think the idea of the vaseline or A&D is to prevent the penis from sticking to the diaper as it is healing. It also prevents helps make it easier to remove any fecal matter that might get stuck to it. For both of my boys I used vaseline and the gauze was only needed for the first day or two, after that just vaseline. I would think that a fleece linear would protect the diaper and then just follow your doctor's instructions for circ. care. I only started CD my 2nd DS at 4 months so I have never used cloth through the newborn phase.

el's mama 11-08-2011 02:36 PM

I would still do gauze over the tip even if you have a fleece liner. I agree with the PP that the fleece is to protect the dipe and you'll still need something to protect the penis from fecal matter or abrasion.

SkyeSpade 11-11-2011 10:26 AM

Once the gauze came off, we used CJs. Not only was it cloth safe, but it led to the circ healing a lot faster than it did with ODS. Even the hospital staff was impressed.

Any typos are probably a combination of my phone and poor proofreading!

Mamaleah 11-11-2011 10:47 AM

You probably will be, but I suggest doing research about the subject of types of circumcision you can do and how to care for it. Honestly, I knew more about caring for it than what the Dr told us. They gave me a sheet of paper with instructions...but that doesn't cover all the questions that may arise.

I wouldn't let the hospital do it. I would wait and have the pediatrician do it. At a hospital (if a teaching one) they may have the students do it, or a Dr that doesn't do them often may do it. Where I live, it is more common to wait until you see the Pediatrician because they perform the procedure more. My L&D nurse friend confirmed all of this with me.

I had the PlastiBel done with DS and it was so easy to take care of. I think it took 6 or 7 days to fall off. My friends who have 2 sons and different procedures liked it a lot better.

I also agree that it is rude to inject an opinion about not circumcising. We didn't get DS circumcised until he was 3 weeks because I was on the fence if we were going to do it or not. I had fears boh ways, but DH wanted it done. I did all the research and everything. I am comfortable with my decision. I am sure that you have done some serious thinking about what you are wanting to do and what DH may want to do as well. :) Congrats on having a little boy!

Beesgirl 11-11-2011 10:52 AM

I just used little pieces of cut up fleece in his diaper and had no problem.