Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Work out of Home Moms (WOHM) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=168)
-   -   Cloth Diaper Store (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1308305)

Mama Dutton 11-10-2011 08:40 AM

Cloth Diaper Store

I am a first time mom with a 3 month old. I just started back to my full-time job last week and am so unhappy with getting back into the politics and drama of my work environment. My husband and I were talking this morning about things I would like to do and the first thing that came to mind was to open a cloth diaper store in the Independence/Blue Springs, Missouri area. Because there is only one cloth diaper store in the entire Kansas City metro area, I thought having a store on the east side would be a fantastic idea. Do any of you ladies have any suggestions/thoughts/tips?

MomBecks 11-10-2011 09:11 AM

Re: Cloth Diaper Store

I actually just opened a CD store in Olathe! But I know there isn't anything in Blue Springs and have actually had several customers from there so there's definitely a market there. But as far as making money it takes several years to actually see a profit in CDs. If you have anywhere near the inventory you need for a viable store you've invested around $10-15,000 which you won't see back for quite a while. Just a heads up! If you'd like to chat I'm available!

Mama Dutton 11-10-2011 04:58 PM

I would love to chat with you about this. I am so glad to know that there is another store. I have just been going to Happybottomus for their diaper swaps.

I have only been cloth diapering for three months so I do not know all the ins and outs.

I know I need to first find out if there is a high enough demand for a cd store in this area and how much revenue I would need. You say 10-15 thousand just for inventory? What about everything else...rent, utilities, marketing, insurance? I currently go to market every year for my job. Is there a buyers market for cloth diapers, do you go through a rep, or contact the vendors directly?

I welcome any help and or advice.

lilylouhoo 11-26-2011 06:09 AM

I am not trying to discourage you at all but there are more stores in this area than that. I know a few have switched from brick and mortar stores to running them out of their homes but they are still here. Peachy Keen was looking for a new location last I heard but maybe that changed. Teeny Greeny runs out of her home too. Itsy Bitsy Bums is out of KC and does in home demos and parties, etc. I just got a flyer on my windshield about a new store in Olathe but I can't remember the name of it right now. I know there are a few in the North KC area too but I'm not familiar with them since I live farther south. Happybottomus is really nice too but their stock is so thin all the time. Everyone I have talked to has said they just don't do enough business to support a brick and mortar store which is really unfortunate. I can't think of anything in your area either though. You could always start out with a website and in home store while you grow. Those do seem to do fairly well. The diaper trials do well too. People like to use local trials because it can be overwhelming to start so it's nice to sit down with someone rather than read the instructions on your own.

cocoabean572 11-26-2011 08:48 AM

It doesnt have to be just cloth diapers for a brick and mortar store. you could have baby accessories, strollers, high chairs, toys, baby carriers, and so much more. mark up on cloth diapers is not very much. you have to sell a lot of diapers to make a profit.

doodah 11-26-2011 09:46 PM

do you have the background to open a business? Its quite a challenging venture.

sarahrdh 12-17-2011 06:36 PM

i think its a great idea, and i have thought the same thing! in my area, there is NOWHERE that sells cloth diapers, except the cheapy gerber ones that everyone uses as burp rags. lol the closest CD store to me is over 2 hours away. i think for me, it would be great. but i would probably do it out of my house at first (which is not unusual around here, i know a few ppl who do/have done it with their businesses)...setting up shop in the garage, a spare room, den, etc....

Mama2Gage 01-21-2012 09:53 PM

I live in Columbia, Mo and have wondered the same thing but I think I prefer to shop online. It's easier when you have little ones :) and waiting for "fluffy mail" is something to look forward too also!

babynumber2iscoming 01-22-2012 11:41 PM

When I lived in SF, one of my favorite places to go was to the local cloth diaper/baby supply / community center-type store. They encouraged (and I guess they still do since they didn't close down their doors when I moved out of the area) people to sign up for membership, and members get discounts and can rent baby slings. They seemed to have several different revenue streams, had a changing station and chairs where you could nurse, etc, which made them a very convenient store to visit and shop at. If you were to create perhaps something a bit more than a diaper store, more of a community resource, you might be able to better get people in the door to buy additional items. Anyhow, my 2 cents worth...in case you're interested the store I fell in love with in SF is called Natural Resources

tushiecover 05-29-2012 12:17 AM

I think it is a good thought. I had the same. But Id say to put A LOT of thought into it before. A lot of times it takes time away from your family (especially at first). Just my two cents :)

Michelle