Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   Exposed to fifths diease :( Worried (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1308643)

ducky5306 11-10-2011 04:03 PM

Exposed to fifths diease :( Worried

So i guess i've been exposed to fifths disease :(

DP's (13 yr old) DD has it (She had the fever about 4-5 weeks ago) then the rash on and off since they thought it was skin allergies to her new jacket. I've only been around her afew times.

We all went to dinner the weekend before last (Halloween weekend) Her, DP, me and ds and last weekend we all had breakfast together Sunday morning. I know it's not that likely I caught it just from her just in those few short times but its still scary!! It's bad in pregnancy and can pass to the baby causing miscarriage :( I'm more worried my son could have got it (he had a 102.5 fever last week) but no rash at all as of yet so thats good right? I'm worried that if he gets it my chances of getting it are of course a lot higher.

I'm calling my OB in the morning I read that standard testing is blood tests and ultrasound every 2 weeks for 4 months!?!

foxygoober 11-10-2011 05:17 PM

Re: Exposed to fith's diease :( Worried

It's more than likely you were exposed to it as a child. They'll probably do a blood test and go from there. Not likely they'll keep testing for four months.

ducky5306 11-10-2011 05:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by foxygoober (Post 14103006)
It's more than likely you were exposed to it as a child. They'll probably do a blood test and go from there. Not likely they'll keep testing for four months.

Wait a second! What?!? Doctor Google isn't always right? :giggle:

Now that I think about it a kid i used to babysit had doctor confirmed fifths and my son got a fever and red cheeks after but no rash he was around 2.5 (so 3 yrs ago) I was exposed to both kids and didn't get sick my son also later that week ended up with Rotavirus which somehow spread to 6 people in or visiting the household but I never got it (I apparently have an iron immune system! I very very rarely get sick)

mariamommy 11-11-2011 09:38 AM

I was exposed to 5th disease a couple times my 2nd pregnancy and nothing came of it.

foxygoober 11-11-2011 03:31 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ducky5306 (Post 14103050)
Wait a second! What?!? Doctor Google isn't always right? :giggle:

Now that I think about it a kid i used to babysit had doctor confirmed fifths and my son got a fever and red cheeks after but no rash he was around 2.5 (so 3 yrs ago) I was exposed to both kids and didn't get sick my son also later that week ended up with Rotavirus which somehow spread to 6 people in or visiting the household but I never got it (I apparently have an iron immune system! I very very rarely get sick)

Yea- if you know you've been around it previously I wouldn't worry so much. :thumbsup: and Rotavirus :yuck:

ackeller 11-12-2011 08:21 AM

Re: Exposed to fifths diease :( Worried

Fifths affects kids far worse than adults. It wouldn't hurt to take some natural immune boosters or virus fighters (I use Smart Silver or colloidal silver), but I'm pretty sure you'll be fine. Fifths is a form of flu and prego women get flu all the time. :P

Hope you and LO are ok!!!

ayer79 11-12-2011 09:14 AM

I had 5ths with my first child. I never had it as a kid, and with being a teacher, it was inevitable. I was 16wks when diagnosed with it. I had to have weekly ultrasounds done until 36wks. The complications to the baby can be very serious, though it's rare. She ended up being fine the whole time, and is now a super healthy 8yr old.

mommyfrog 11-12-2011 09:24 AM

I was exposed in my 8th pregnancy at 14 weeks, after having multiple kids have it in the years before. I got it and it did affect the baby(she didn't make it). I don't want you to freak out or anything. Just be aware that it can affect the baby. Somebody has to be the rare one to get it to make the .3%, or whatever it was. Make the doctor test you to see if you are immune. If you are, there is nothing to worry about. If not, insist on the monitoring, even if your doctor tells you how rare it is or doesn't want to.

ducky5306 11-12-2011 10:56 AM

I went in for a blood test yesterday and should know back next week. I was barely exposed at worst since I was not with her before or during her fever (the start of fifths?) She also never had any rash on her torso or face/cheeks just on one arm in one spot after getting a new jacket. They didn't do any blood work on her they are just guessing fifths by the rash I guess. Between her fever and this rash showing up it was a full month. Is that normal for fifths?

I'm praying I'm immune to it! My mom doesn't remember me having it but there were 5 of us kids and if it was a fever and mild rash for me she prob would not have taken me to a doctor or given it much thought.

As I said I know I've been exposed to it in the past as an adult and didn't catch it (right now I really wish I had caught it 2 yrs ago :(

All I can do is wait, pray, rest, eat well and take probiotics? Can I take anything else while pg? I have elderberry here

Sent from my EVO 4G using DS Forum

canadianbakers 11-12-2011 05:40 PM

Based on that long between fever and the rash that doesn't sound like fifth's disease to me at all. The rash should appear as/just after the fever breaks - within the day, or the following day, not a week or longer.
If you weren't around her when she had the fever, I wouldn't worry as much either. The child is contagious (quite so, really) with the fever, but not really at all once the rash develops - like a lot of things, by the time you realize what it is they're not contagious anymore.

The blood test will say whether you've come in contact with fifth's disease or not - but it just is a positive or a negative result and is testing your immunity from your whole life, kwim? So a positive only means that at some point before the blood draw you came in contact with it, and doesn't mean you've got it from her. A negative result would mean watching for symptoms more closely.

I know there are some people who come in contact with it while pregnant, even contract it while pregnant, and have healthy babies - but a good friend of mine wasn't one of the lucky ones. :( It's definitely not something to play around with.
From personal experience, I came in contact with it (was around the child with the fever, the day before the fever broke and rash appeared) while pregnant with DS2. I tested positive for the antibodies. I didn't ever come down with any symptoms however, so we assume the antibodies are from earlier in my life.