Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Pregnancy (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=13)
-   -   low blood platelets? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1308879)

youngmomma 11-11-2011 08:43 AM

low blood platelets?

Was told I dropped from 165 to 133 in a few weeks. Now have to go in for weekly blood draws.:yuck:
I'm 34.5 weeks pregnant

Anything I should be doing? eating? expecting? :headscratch::headscratch:

Iron and thyroid levels were tested and both were within range and okay.

z2akids 11-11-2011 09:07 AM

Re: low blood platelets?

Thrombocytopenia isn't unusual in pregnancy. Unless your doctor believes that other treatment is needed, just avoid injury and watch for bleeding. When you see your doctor, be sure to let him/her know if you have bleeding while you are brushing your teeth, if you are bruising more easily, if you have dark/tarry stools, if cuts take longer to clot than they usually do. Stuff like that. Avoid aspirin (which you probably are already).

If you are really worried, you could talk to youru doctor about increasing your intake of foods rich in Vitamin K. But, I would take care about doing so without his/her weighing in on the pros and cons of doing so.

Bentley'sMomma 11-11-2011 09:17 AM

I'm not a doctor etc etc but my experience with my last pregnancy...

My platelets were between 100-120 the last half of my pregnancy. My doctor said that as long as they were above 100 there was no reason to even consider thinking twice about it... They could still do an epi or cs if I needed one. A few days before I was due they dipped to about 60 I was put on steroids for 48 hours to increase my platelets incase they had to do an emergency csection. They said if I wasn't about to give birth they wouldn't do anything unless I was having other symptoms and I was just being treated just in case. When I went into labor a few days later they were at 150+.

loving my family 11-11-2011 09:44 AM

I have always had platelets to share if they are low avoid pickles stuff with vinegar cause it will thin your blood. Good luck :)

g-offsmommy 11-11-2011 10:19 AM

Any issues with your blood pressure??

hilaryisinked 11-11-2011 11:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by z2akids (Post 14105864)
Thrombocytopenia isn't unusual in pregnancy. Unless your doctor believes that other treatment is needed, just avoid injury and watch for bleeding. When you see your doctor, be sure to let him/her know if you have bleeding while you are brushing your teeth, if you are bruising more easily, if you have dark/tarry stools, if cuts take longer to clot than they usually do. Stuff like that. Avoid aspirin (which you probably are already).

If you are really worried, you could talk to youru doctor about increasing your intake of foods rich in Vitamin K. But, I would take care about doing so without his/her weighing in on the pros and cons of doing so.

Yes, that. Doctor told me yesterday mine are low too. He said it can be a symptom of preeclampsia but since you don't have other symptoms, it's just caused by the pregnancy. Mine could go either way since I'm borderline pre-e (as you know).

canadianbakers 11-11-2011 12:56 PM

It is normal for your platelets to lower in pregnancy, because of the additional blood volume. Anything over 100 is definitely still a great number and nothing to worry about. Especially with how far along you are.
So, I wouldn't let it worry you, but I would continue to get your levels checked, just to be sure something else isn't going on, kwim?

I have ITP - idiopathic thrombocytopenia - which means my platelets (normally, randomly, not just while pregnant, although pregnancy is a "trigger" for me) just decide to die off and my levels lower.
FWIW, I am happy with normal, every day not pregnant levels of 100.
With my second pregnancy I was only down to mid-70s at birth. With my third I was down to low 60s and they did a transfusion before, during, and for the 24hrs following my csection. With my 4th (vbac) I was down to very low 50s at birth - again, transfusions during labor and for the first 24hrs after birth.

youngmomma 11-11-2011 01:26 PM

I've had my bp checked several times this week. All in normal range of 118/62 and 120/60 so I'm not really worried about preE.

Thanks for the input mommas!!