Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Diaper Chatter and Q & A (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=10)
-   -   Someone give me the scoop on Microfiber towels (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13090)

jeanieande 06-09-2006 03:28 PM

Someone give me the scoop on Microfiber towels

Have been noticing these on the FSOT board and heard a few mommas talk about them. Am skeptical. Do they really work? Where to buy?Do tell..

masonite 06-09-2006 03:37 PM

Re: Someone give me the scoop on Microfiber towels

I've never actually used them for inserts, but I know that a lot of Mama's swear by them.

It's basically the same material that a microfiber inserts is sewn from. You can find them in automotive departments, Home Depot, etc. I actually found a TON at a dollar store the other day. They had a big pack for $1. They were tons of cute colors and a big size (like 16x16) so I bought some to try. I haven't used them yet, but I'm thinking it will work just as well as a micro insert, since it's the same material.

I'll probably wrap them around a Joey Bunz (hemp) to get the most absorbancy.

HTH!

Sarah0903 06-09-2006 03:39 PM

I bought some mf towels the other day and some fleece adn sewed fleece onto the top of some toewels that were all folded up. So now I have my homemade doublers!! I will post pics when they are dry!
I did a test on some and they do hold a ton of fluids.

Fairyblue 06-09-2006 04:00 PM

just as PP they do hold a lot of water or fluids. Just make sure it does not come in contact with the baby. I did that one time and Aidan had a little rash going on down there, :blush: So I use them as inserts and under the flaps in my AIO Kushies when I am out and about. Got mine at the $1 store and had to wash them a few times to get the dye to come out.

Getz 06-09-2006 04:06 PM

Microfiber towels are the only things I use in my pockets! I have the super thick 16x16 yellow ones. I got them for super cheap in a co-op ages ago.

Like the PP said, don't lay the microfiber directly on the baby's skin.

ltelly00 06-09-2006 10:54 PM

They are super absorbant. I got some at Target, white and gray and absolutely LOVE them! We have the best luck with different fabrics with DD (I assume some that absorb fast and some that absorb much), so I always stuff with MF and then somehting else. Lots of absorbancy with not alot of bulk. I can even fit a trimmer one along with the SBs insert into one of their pockets!!

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 06-09-2006 11:03 PM

I have the same as Itelly- the white and grey from Target - Vroom brand. I have the 14x14. The smaller ones are good for small diapers, but the 14x14 are great for my mediums. I wrap them around inserts like Joey bunz and it works great - it absorbs the pee quickly so the hemp has time to absorb it. I had leaks w/ just the hemp but no leaks w/ t he mf towels around the hemp. I make it seam down so its not against his skin and I slightly fold over the hem so that you don't see the orange stitching through the diaper. Walmart has them in a pretty light blue. I bought two packs of the white and grey so I can have all white :) I use the grey for cleaning. I wanted to be able to bleach them if I ever need to.

hauser 06-10-2006 03:13 AM

I only use Microfiber towels in my small FB's. They are the normal size ones, so i trimmed a little and sewed them to be shorter, then i just fold them in fourths to fit inside. They hold a ton. If he decides to sleep for 5 hours at night, instead of three, I don't have to worry about leaks!!!

Audriannasmommy 06-10-2006 10:58 AM

I am new to cding got my first couple dipes yesterday from a mama on here and she also gave me some microfiber inserts I was going to use the prefolds i have but I love the mfs so much i am going to have to run out and get more

hfitz5051 06-10-2006 11:15 AM

I got mine at an auto store, Autozone or one of those. I trifold them in my Happy Heiny and they also fit in my OMG pocket. At night, I use one of those plus a hemp insert.