Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   What to call private parts? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=13098)

MommyMommyMommy 06-09-2006 04:55 PM

What to call private parts?

When we were potty training my oldest, it was right as Pirates of the Carribean (sp?) came out and we've always called his penis his 'goods'. He knows that it is a penis, but we just call it that whole area 'goods'.

Well, on to DD who just potty trained and I can't find a good name for girls private parts. We've used: bum, front, area, potty and pee-pee (those get a little confusing when she's going pee-pee on the potty :giggle: ) but nothing seems right.

Any suggestions? I've told her that girls have a vagina but she seems a little young for that and I'd like a different word for everyday use. Plus it's the whole area, not just the vagina. I can't for the life of me remember what we called ours when I was little.

Any comments are appreciated!

scatterbrainedmom 06-09-2006 05:05 PM

Re: What to call private parts?

no help because we call it what it is. well, actually it is a china because he can't pronounce vagina. Penis is penis. Testicles are bags or peckers. don't ask lol

allycat 06-09-2006 05:07 PM

We call them what they are too. Vagina is bagina to my 3 year old:giggle: I really hate that word!! Who came up with vagina anyway:banghead:

ChurchPunkMom 06-09-2006 05:08 PM

About 90% of the time it's called by it's real name. :)
The rest of the time - weenie, pecker, balls, johnny, boy parts..
Female parts are still very new in this house ;) - girly butt is the only nckname so far.

Kelolsen-and-Padawan 06-09-2006 05:25 PM

We plan to call things by their real names, but Ethan is only 5. I admit to saying "Mr. Winky" just because it makes me laugh. :blush:

ahisma 06-09-2006 05:26 PM

We just call them privates. She know the name, but typically when referring to her private parts, we (& she) call them private parts.

I do see the advantage of calling them by their correct names, but we have a woman on the block who "brings her potty training outside" (the kids run naked in the front yard, and this is an urban area) and the kids yell the terms constantly, and have been known give anatomy lessons to anyone unlucky enough to walk by.

I must say, it is a bit uncomfortable, I can totally see it happening on occasion, but it has grown to be a regular thing.

I think, for us, using the term "privates" was a response to this.

SheilaJoy 06-09-2006 05:26 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by allycat
We call them what they are too. Vagina is bagina to my 3 year old:giggle: I really hate that word!! Who came up with vagina anyway:banghead:

:spit:

We used to say pee pee, but it became confusing as you said. Now we just say privates.
Well, actually that's what we did with the first two, now we're starting to use the word penis with my 3 yo so we don't have to go through the charade again. But penis is less gross than vagina! hehe
You could say labia.

Merolu 06-09-2006 05:27 PM

In my house we planned to call things by thier proper names, but when my son reached the age that he was trying to get reactions from us, he'd pull his towel open and Daddy and I would yell, you're naked! We didn't realize that he would start *calling* it that, lol. I think it would work for both sexes. Boy nakeds and girl naked, we have them both in the house, haha.
I know what a PP meant about not liking the word vagina. I am not squeamish about it or shy about it, I just dislike that word.

Kimmyann 06-09-2006 05:33 PM

When I was growing up we called that area a wee wee.

Have no idea why.

tntmommy 06-09-2006 05:46 PM

I am a really firm believer that you should call them by their proper name. My two year old says penis ("tennis"), vagina ("neena") and testicles ("essical"). My one year old is already being taught that she has a vagina and her brother has a penis (she is entralled with his, she races to him every time I take his diaper off).