Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   2011 Due Daters (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=220)
-   -   Levi Carmine's Birth Story :) (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1309906)

AcrossTheUniverse 11-13-2011 03:36 PM

Levi Carmine's Birth Story :)

Friday, November 11, 2011 was my due date. After weeks of false labor episodes I was secretly hoping the full moon that Thursday night would put me into labor so we could meet Levi and he would be lucky enough to have a cool birthdate. However, my younger sister had been saying for weeks that he was going to wait until the 12th (her birthday) so they could be birthday buddies. I told her she was crazy. :giggle:

Friday night around 9:15pm I decided to go to bed. I was laying there for maybe half an hour when I heard an all too familiar ďpop popĒ sound. I thought I was going crazy but got up and went to the bathroom to investigate. I was 95% sure my water had broken, but I wasnít having any contractions so I decided to stay awake and watch some TV while bouncing on my exercise ball and see if anything started up. I didnít even wake my husband up because I wanted to be sure. After about an hour on the ball, I was not having any contractions. Feeling discouraged, I decided to go to bed and call my midwives in the morning.

I woke up on and off that night with contractions, but they seemed pretty far apart. Around 3:30am I couldnít sleep anymore as they were getting stronger and closer together, so I got up and decided to time them. They were 7 minutes apart and definitely more intense than any of my false labor episodes had been. I told myself I would call my midwives as soon as they hit 5 minutes apart. By 4:15am they were 4 minutes apart so I called and my midwife, Sarah, came straight away. She got to my house around 5:30am. It was now Saturday, November 12, 2011.

At this point my 4 kids were waking up for the day, and the assistant midwife, Sophie, arrived shortly after. For some reason, being so focused on taking care of my older children resulted in my contractions slowing down to 5-6 minutes apart. They remained consistent and were intense enough for me to be sure I was in labor, but mild enough to go about my daily routines pretty normally. By 9:00am I was feeling very exhausted, so I decided to try and take a nap. I slept for about 30 minutes only to wake to find my contractions had slowed to 10 minutes apart. I was feeling very frustrated once more.

At 11:00am my older 3 children went to spend the day/night at their dadís house. This left just the midwives, my younger son, and husband at home with me. My husband and son took a nap while the midwives and I went for a walk and then ate some lunch. The walk did seem to strengthen the contractions but they remained at 10 minutes apart. After lunch we tried massage/accuppressure and that made the contractions more intense, but once again they remained at 10 minutes apart.

At 2:00pm, I felt like I was just reliving yet another false labor episode and was very disappointed. I asked my midwife if there was anything we could do to get things back on track. I was full term, we were sure my water was broken, and I was willing to give anything a try to get my labor to progress so we could meet our little guy. We discussed multiple options and decided to have her check me for dilation and see if she could possibly move his head out of the way and let my waters break a bit more. (Up until this point I had only had small trickles of fluid with each contraction.)

At 2:30pm I was checked and found to be 4cm dilated and there was a forebag of waters that Sarah was able to break and we had a nice small gush of clear fluid. This allowed Leviís head to put the appropriate amount of pressure on my cervix and get things moving along. (We had a similar experience with his older brotherís labor process where I stalled at 5cm after 20 hours and had to have the same thing done to keep things progressing.) Immediately my contractions went back to 5 minutes apart and were much more intense. I also gushed fluid with each one. We started filling up the birth pool to get ready and while that was being done I alternated between sitting on the exercise ball and standing through contractions.

By 4:30pm the contractions were 2 minutes apart and much more intense. I decided I wanted to get into the tub. The water was so warm and felt amazing. I was so surprised at the amount of relief it gave me from the contractions I was experiencing that seemed to be one right after the other. At some point I started to feel some back labor and while I didnít feel a super strong urge to push, I felt relief from back pain when I would bare down so I asked Sarah if it was alright for me to do and she said to do whatever felt right. I bore down through the next few contractions and suddenly I felt his head sliding down.

I got onto my knees in the water and had a very strong contraction and started pushing pretty much instinctively, I let everyone know so they got prepared for delivery. With my next contraction I pushed some more and was able to reach down and feel his head. On the third contraction I pushed with all my might and his head came out and then his body. His daddy lifted him up out of the water and handed him to me. I sat back in the tub and admired my new baby boy and breathed a sigh of relief!

Levi Carmine was born on November 12, 2011 at 5:22pm. He weighed 9lbs and was 20.25Ē long.

My younger sister was right and got a new nephew as her 24th birthday present! As her gift we let her change his first diaper. :giggle2:

http://i473.photobucket.com/albums/r...rs/1112-04.jpg

amomma 11-13-2011 03:45 PM

Re: Levi Carmine's Birth Story :)

awesome story! I'm so happy everything went so well after everything you went through. He is just perfect!

KiltedKingdom 11-13-2011 04:09 PM

Congrats! He's beautiful!!

Sally's Red Meadow 11-13-2011 04:12 PM

Congrats

Azrael 11-13-2011 05:16 PM

Congrats! So glad his stubborn self finally decided to join y'all! :giggle: at your sister's birthday present :)

DustysSweety03 11-13-2011 06:11 PM

Congrats what a great birthstory.

P!nkPepper 11-13-2011 06:38 PM

Congrats Mama! He is a cutie.

2208 11-13-2011 07:12 PM

Congratulations!! :yay: He is so adorable. :wub:

ChelseaGirl7 11-13-2011 07:17 PM

Congatulations! So glad he arrived!

rainydaysunshine 11-13-2011 08:42 PM

So glad he's finally here! Congrats, mama :)