Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Eastern Canada (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=119)
-   -   Suggestions for French Children's books? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1310921)

kaimon 11-15-2011 11:01 AM

Suggestions for French Children's books?

We have an awesome collection of books. But 90% of them are English.
We're lacking in the French book department. So I want to get a bunch for Christmas.

But I've been browsing and it's so hard to know what's good or not.

Any suggestions?

I have a nearly 4 yr old girl and an almost 2 year old boy.

MamandÉlise&Muriel 12-15-2011 06:47 AM

Re: Suggestions for French Children's books?

Melanie Watts (Chester, Scary Squirrel) has great books, IMO. Usborne books has a really good selection of all kinds of books (Len27 on here can tell you more about those). We have a series with a character called Cajoline, which was great for milestones (potty training, dentist, daycare, new sibling, etc) and there are a bunch of other like Barbapapa and a lot of the English books are translated. You're in Montreal so I would imagine any store would have tons of selection. We're nowhere near french speaking communities so every time I go to Ottawa, I spend 200-300$ in books that I just pick up at Zellers.

kaimon 01-02-2012 05:57 PM

I just noticed this post!

Yeah there's a lot of selection near me. I have two french bookstores within walking distance. It's just a little overwhelming when I don't know what's good. I looked at the Melanie Watts books I ended up getting some Stella/Sacha series books, some Caillou ones and a few translated Disney ones. Other than the Stella books I got the others all on sale for less than 3$ each :thumbsup:

zosca 02-29-2012 11:53 AM

I really like the serie "l'imagerie". They have books for babies and for toddlers. They are a bit pricey but they are worth it!

Len27 03-01-2012 12:32 PM

yup, the site is www.usbornebooksathome.ca and they have a decent selection- if you search for a consultant in your area you will for sure find someone who can show you the books in person:). Usborne also just came out with a french sellers kit, so if you want to become a consultant yourself, it's a nice way to get books really reasonably priced. I do almost no 'business' with it, but I do like being a consultant for gift shopping and our own personal library:). Usborne books are beautiful quality as well.

happymommyofemma 03-20-2012 07:41 PM

Growing up, I really enjoyed the Oui Oui collection (bibliothèque rose), the Monsieur/Madame characters and the Martine collection!

NixLapi 05-08-2012 08:18 AM

Chapters also has a fairly decent selection. DD is younger than your two, but we have a collection of translated ones that she loves...

Je t'aime de la tête aux pieds de Bernadette Rossetti-Shustak
Je t'aime comme... de Marion Dane Bauer
Le bisou de papa de Margaret Allum
Un bisou, deux bisous... compte mes bisous! de Ruthie May

tristansmile 08-09-2012 07:19 AM

"Le rouge c'est bien mieux". I found it in Mastermind. The english translation is "Red is best". My toddler just loves it! "Caillou" is another popular one and I'm sure it comes in French.

Kimberlyn444 09-10-2012 11:27 AM

Surprisingly, the Dollarama has a fairly nice selection of translated Disney stories for $2 each (or at least the one in Pierrefonds does). You can also find Le Petit Chaperon Rouge, Tom Pouce, Hansel et Gretel, etc.

Belz2oc 11-08-2012 08:15 AM

Merci beaucoup pour l'information!