Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Parenting Talk (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=12)
-   -   Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons? (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1311485)

AnimalHouse 11-16-2011 10:02 AM

Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
Disclaimer - please, no anti-circ rhetoric. We have made an educated decision for our family, to circumcise our sons based on religious beliefs. I know not everyone agrees with it, and that is fine. And I open to ALL opinions, but I am not open to having someone tell me that I am mutilating my child, or anything along those lines. Thank you for respecting my disclaimer ;).

DS3 was not circ'd at birth. Long story short, we delivered all our children at the same hospital, and they had changed their policies right before DS3 was born. We were not allowed to be with him during the circ, and we simply weren't comfortable with that. So, we chose not to have the circ done at the hospital.

The original plan was to have it done shortly after birth, either by our pediatrician or a urologist. Unfortunately, it never happened... DS3 has GERD and we've spent the past 3.5 months trying to get that under control. The circ issue has taken a backseat. But now DH is really pushing to have it done, and I'm worried about it. Our other two boys were circ'd a few days after birth. DS3 is almost 4 months old, and I'm just concerned that we've waited too long. I'm worried it will hurt more, and have a longer healing time.

Has anyone circ'd a baby this age, or older? Are there any drawbacks (besides the obvious "no circ" reasons)?

MavericksMama 11-16-2011 10:07 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
I'd say a drawback would be his age. I'd wait until he is like 1 year old. I don't think anesthesia is that safe for a 4 month old. Obviously, it's used in emergency situations, but it's not ideal. Usually, from what I've heard from friends, is that the youngest doctors want to do it post-neonatal period, is 9 months. And they recommend waiting until 12 months. Both anesthesia and pain management medications are safer with age.

AnimalHouse 11-16-2011 10:13 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MavericksMama
I'd say a drawback would be his age. I'd wait until he is like 1 year old. I don't think anesthesia is that safe for a 4 month old. Obviously, it's used in emergency situations, but it's not ideal. Usually, from what I've heard from friends, is that the youngest doctors want to do it post-neonatal period, is 9 months. And they recommend waiting until 12 months. Both anesthesia and pain management medications are safer with age.

That's what I was thinking, too. The urologist said he will use a local anesthetic, until 12 months. I'm wondering if we should see a plastic surgeon too.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather just not do it at all. I know why we decided to circ, but the idea of doing it this late makes me want to cry :(. DH is adamently opposed to leaving him intact, though.

So many issues, LOL.

purpledayz 11-16-2011 10:17 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama.timms (Post 14136865)
That's what I was thinking, too. The urologist said he will use a local anesthetic, until 12 months. I'm wondering if we should see a plastic surgeon too.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather just not do it at all. I know why we decided to circ, but the idea of doing it this late makes me want to cry :(. DH is adamently opposed to leaving him intact, though.

So many issues, LOL.

Since you already waited, why not wait until DS is 1 or 2 when it's easier to tell what the finished result is? Or after potty training when the after surgery pain would be less.

swedishmaiden 11-16-2011 10:19 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
My DH is a pediatric nurse practitioner and while he doesn't do circ'ing, his co-worker who is responsible for them at his clinic has said that babies respond best under 2 weeks. She felt that there was more trauma (physically) and the recovery was extended after that point.

Previous posters - are you suggesting general anesthesia after 12 months? I'm just curious, because I know DH referred a 9 year old to a urologist because the parents were requesting circumcision and at that age, they use general anesthetic. But I don't know about 12months+, but still younger than 9.

RaZZberry 11-16-2011 10:25 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by mama.timms (Post 14136865)
That's what I was thinking, too. The urologist said he will use a local anesthetic, until 12 months. I'm wondering if we should see a plastic surgeon too.

Honestly, at this point I'd rather just not do it at all. I know why we decided to circ, but the idea of doing it this late makes me want to cry :(. DH is adamently opposed to leaving him intact, though.

So many issues, LOL.

Yes, I agree, a drawback could be his age.

I know how you feel, this can be so tough. :hugs:

I have one circ'd son and one intact son. If you would like to read my experience, please click on my thread in my siggy.

MavericksMama 11-16-2011 10:27 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
Honestly, I've had three procedures done on my left labia area in office, and each time they had to use over 5 syringes of lidocaine, and it STILL hurt. Not all bodies accept anesthesia "correctly". The last doctor I saw in office gave up because I was about to pass out from the pain, and scheduled surgery the next day. MAC anesthesia was used. When I got the bill, it said there were 31 lidocaine syringes used. When I talked to her after the surgery, she said occasionally I would let out a painful sounding "uuhhhhhhh" and a little cry. So anesthesia isn't an exact science, and for that reason I'd wait until you can put him under completely with general. It's just the same as how some women's epidurals work, and some women's don't.

MavericksMama 11-16-2011 10:29 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by swedishmaiden (Post 14136914)
Previous posters - are you suggesting general anesthesia after 12 months?

Yes, general.

AnimalHouse 11-16-2011 10:41 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
I'm going to talk to DH tonight about waiting until he's older. I know DH wants it done now... he thinks it will hurt worse, the older he gets. But the points made about pain management are great ones!

I just wish we had had it done at birth. I wish the hospital hadn't changed their policy, about allowing parents to stay with their babies during the procedure. But wishful thinking is useless in this case, I suppose.

I'm also going to see a plastic surgeon for opinions. We've seen a urologist, but I know circumcision isn't something he does often so I'm worried about that. I completely trust our pediatrician to do it... he's done them many times. He won't do it until 6 months after birth, so if we decide to wait until after 12 months, he's an option.

AnimalHouse 11-16-2011 10:41 AM

Re: Circ'ing a 4 month old - pros/cons?
 
Quote:

Originally Posted by RaZZberry (Post 14136964)
Yes, I agree, a drawback could be his age.

I know how you feel, this can be so tough. :hugs:

I have one circ'd son and one intact son. If you would like to read my experience, please click on my thread in my siggy.

Thank you for sharing your story!


All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:19 AM.

Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.4
Copyright ©2000 - 2014, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.
vB.Sponsors