Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com

Cloth Diapers & Parenting Community - DiaperSwappers.com (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/index.php)
-   Breastfeeding Support (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   working out and bf (http://www.diaperswappers.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1311901)

CarolinaMama 11-17-2011 07:36 AM

working out and bf

nak....

I am ready to get back into shape. any tips so i do not loose my wonderful supply?

MamaKT127 11-17-2011 09:37 AM

Re: working out and bf

Hi! Just 2 things from me: Make sure you stay well hydrated with water. I drink about half my weight in ounces to maintain supply while working out. And of course no crash diets :) Keep eating whole foods, healthy proteins, etc. Get those nutrient dense calories in. Good luck! I'm sure you'll be feeling fabulous soon!

ayer79 11-17-2011 10:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by CarolinaMama
nak....

I am ready to get back into shape. any tips so i do not loose my wonderful supply?

Ive heard that over doing it will cause your body to release lactic acid which makes your milk sour. Just gradually work your body so that doesn't happen.

ChelseaGirl7 11-17-2011 02:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ayer79

Ive heard that over doing it will cause your body to release lactic acid which makes your milk sour. Just gradually work your body so that doesn't happen.

This is actually some what rare, that or most babies just don't care. In most cases as long as you don't try and kill yourself you won't have any problems.

iHeart 11-17-2011 06:48 PM

Working out shouldn't affect your supply or milk at all. Just keep your diet healthy! :thumbsup:

VeganCupcake 11-17-2011 07:18 PM

I have never had a problem with working out and milk supply--you should be fine, as long as you continue nursing frequently and eat a reasonable amount of calories.

My DS doesn't like to nurse when I'm really workout sweaty--he seems to object to the salty stinky boob. If I take a quick shower, he's perfectly happy to nurse. :)

CarolinaMama 11-18-2011 07:12 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by VeganCupcake (Post 14146696)
I have never had a problem with working out and milk supply--you should be fine, as long as you continue nursing frequently and eat a reasonable amount of calories.

My DS doesn't like to nurse when I'm really workout sweaty--he seems to object to the salty stinky boob. If I take a quick shower, he's perfectly happy to nurse. :)

well my ds never turned me down when i had terrible nights sweats, maybe he will not be picky ;)

Yea! I am glad to hear it will not hurt my supply. I love (and teach) spin class and that can be an intense work out. I am going just to work out from home till after Feb because I do not want a newborn in the gym daycare during fly season :( oh how I miss it!

DottieHarley 11-18-2011 12:06 PM

Eat!!!! Lack of food (or just a slightly lower amt of calories I think) causes a huge drop in supply for me.
I think the need for water has been adequately covered :-)
Umm... a very supportive sports bra, and good nursing pads. Maybe two sports bras. When I first started back at the gym at 6 wks, I would wear two sports bras (with pads tucked in there) to combat a)leaking b)headlights and c)excess bouncing.

shreck 11-18-2011 03:15 PM

I'd also say to be sure you're eating & drinking enough. I've been pretty active for the last few months with running 4-6 days/wk and lifting weights 2-3x/wk, and my milk supply has not suffered from it. Ds is 6 1/2mo and still ebf'ing and is always happy to nurse after I workout, but I always shower first.